Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dsampedro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2018
I have Mojave installed in my computer and I want to format my computer's hard drive.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I have Mojave installed in my computer and I want to format my computer's hard drive.
The hard drive that has the system on it? Then your computer won’t work. Or a different hard drive? If different, then use Disk Utility, which is an app included in Mojave.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Here is the answer:
1. You need a way to boot the Mac using an EXTERNAL drive that is bootable.
2. You then open Disk Utility and "aim it" at the internal drive (topmost item in DU's list, and you MUST first choose "show all devices" from the popup menu (if there is one)
3. You then click the "erase" button and choose "Mac OS extended with journaling enabled".
4. DU will then erase the disk and "format" it.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Here is the answer:
1. You need a way to boot the Mac using an EXTERNAL drive that is bootable.
2. You then open Disk Utility and "aim it" at the internal drive (topmost item in DU's list, and you MUST first choose "show all devices" from the popup menu (if there is one)
3. You then click the "erase" button and choose "Mac OS extended with journaling enabled".
4. DU will then erase the disk and "format" it.

5. remember, this will wipe anything on your computer drive, so be sure to back everything up first.

northernmunky

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2007
London, Taipei
@Dsampedro give us some more info so we know we're telling you to do the right thing.
Am I to assume you have Mojave and are unhappy with it and want to downgrade to another macOS version?

Would be good to know why you want to wipe your hard drive, because once you've done that you will need to run internet recovery and theres various methods of downloading and installing specific operating systems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.