Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bionic909

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2006
hi to cut a very log story short: i had problems with my mbp and my dog chewed up the disc's that came with it so i bought another copy of osx and tried to install it but th machine would not reconise it, so, i could not format from my mbp so i used the target option to firwire the mbp and a g4 together, i then formatted disc from the g4, now all i get is a flashing folder icon with a question mark on it, this has been a probem for days now and i have done and looked into the problem so much (and used all short cut keys to no avail) now im at my witts end!

can anyone tell me what i should do? i think i might need to bootup form a network server but i dont know how to do this.

any other sugetions will be greatley received!!!!

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
The retail client version of Tiger is not universal. The same problem applies to the version of OS X installed on your G4 machine. You really need to locate a universal version, and at the moment the only way to get that is to use the discs that come with the Intel Macs.

Retail OS X Server is universal now, but that's awfully expensive for what you need! You have a scavenger hunt ahead of you...

bionic909

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2006
iMeowbot said:
The retail client version of Tiger is not universal. The same problem applies to the version of OS X installed on your G4 machine. You really need to locate a universal version, and at the moment the only way to get that is to use the discs that come with the Intel Macs.

Retail OS X Server is universal now, but that's awfully expensive for what you need! You have a scavenger hunt ahead of you...

thank you for the advise, would this have to be a mbp disc or just any universal disc?

it is not seeing any disc's at present, would be because i formatted the disc from another g4? should the universal disc just automatically boot up the mbp from the disc? and would a copy of the disc do?

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
bionic909 said:
thank you for the advise, would this have to be a mbp disc or just any universal disc?
It will probably need to be from a MacBook Pro, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try other Macintel discs if you can get your hands on them (if you have to buy from someone, definitely go for the right model).

it is not seeing any disc's at present, would be because i formatted the disc from another g4?

If it's PowerPC stuff, the Macintel won't find anything bootable and will give up.

should the universal disc just automatically boot up the mbp from the disc?
Yes, if a DVD or hard drive boots another Intel Mac, it should boot yours too (assuming the right drivers are present).

and would a copy of the disc do?

Good question, I've never attempted to copy the DVDs. I know that others have run into size problems.

bionic909

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2006
If it's PowerPC stuff, the Macintel won't find anything bootable and will give up.

Yes, if a DVD or hard drive boots another Intel Mac, it should boot yours too (assuming the right drivers are present).

this is it really, im not sure if it has the drivers on the HD i made the g4 see my mbp then formatted it from the g4 so i guess the g4 formatted it thinking it is his HD is this now iraparable?

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
bionic909 said:
this is it really, im not sure if it has the drivers on the HD i made the g4 see my mbp then formatted it from the g4 so i guess the g4 formatted it thinking it is his HD is this now iraparable?

Yes, for now. With the correct installation DVDs, you will be able to restore it to working order!

i guess that your doggie won't be getting any treats today :D

bionic909

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2006
iMeowbot said:
Yes, for now. With the correct installation DVDs, you will be able to restore it to working order!

i guess that your doggie won't be getting any treats today :D

thank you for youe time in answering my questions, i have found a place that is authorised by mac to instal operating systems so hopfully i will be ably to get this sorted at the front desk, would this have to be logged do you think by mac or wil it be a simple in and out operation?

last question i promise!

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
bionic909 said:
thank you for youe time in answering my questions, i have found a place that is authorised by mac to instal operating systems so hopfully i will be ably to get this sorted at the front desk, would this have to be logged do you think by mac or wil it be a simple in and out operation?
I would expect it to be in the shop at least overnight, unless the shop is having an exceptionally slow day.
last question i promise!
Suuuure ;)

PatrickF

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2006
Blighty
bionic909 said:
It will have to be the MBP specific disc. Back in the days of the PowerBooks and iBooks you could use either disc sets with either a PowerBook or an iBook since the iBook "advertised" itself as being a PowerBook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.