Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fedelog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2018
Madrid
Hi,
I'm new to this forum so I hope this post is okay. I just upgraded my mid 2014 Macbook Pro's SSD to a 240gb OWC Aura Pro X. All fine so far, now I need to format the drive. I have booted my mac holding down cmd opt R and have chosen option 4, disk utility.

My question is: which disk do I need to format and to which format? I am finding different things being said about this. I have clicked on view => show all devices. Therefore on the left I have (under internal( one volume saying "OWC Aura Pro X SSD Media" and one sub volume of that called "OWC Aura Pro X". If I choose to erase the first one, I get to choose both format and scheme, when I chose the second one, the only thing I can decide on is Format. Which of these two should I erase?

And which format should I set it to? The original instructions seem to say Mac OS Extended (Journaled)(https://www.owcdigital.com/migrating-your-mac-os-x-installation-to-a-new-drive) but a lot of people seem to suggest APFS. Which and why should I choose? I don't care about minimal improvements or so, I just want my Mac to work normally, very nervous to mess something up but I had to upgrade my SSD due to university laptop requirements.

Thank you in advance for any useful answer!

Best,
Federico

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.