Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snebes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2008
If he was auctioning it for charity, why isn't his auction a charity auction?
No fees / incentives when an actual charity auction.

I was wondering that as well. Perhaps his charity isn't available via that? (Giving Works is available in Canada)

jlabute

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2014
Human Resources

Looked at his name and said to themselves... Hell yeah... Sam Sung works for us. It is hilarious. Many successful sales people even change their names to be popular. Very nice gesture Sam....you're a great guy.

Shasterball

Suspended
Oct 19, 2007
According to the article, at least 50 people who support charity, have a sense of humor, and don't follow the Apple/Samsung wars would like to have this. :)

Wouldn't following the wars make it more desirable? Adds to the humor?

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Who would want this :confused:

Plenty of people who have some cash to spend and want to donate to a good cause that just needed that little push.

Lots of stupid stuff gets sold online. Some guy made $20,000+ on kick starter making his first potato salad.

Usually when you promise to donate all proceeds to a charity it gets the people with deeper pockets out of the woodwork. Publicity from sites like this also doesn't hurt.

Rajani Isa

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2010
Rogue Valley, Oregon
They may have a policy regarding the return of shirts and business cards upon leaving Apple. Some businesses will deduct it from your final paycheck if you do not return company property. I think they can do that as long as conditions are specified prior to the items being issued. Anyway at this point it's just cheap PR.

I know where I currently work, you are asked to turn in all shirts and badges at time of leaving - in part to make sure you don't try and pretend to still work for them. But also because they don't charge you for any of it to begin with and if it's in good condition, they can possibly reuse it later if an employee needs a shirt NOW and a new one isn't available.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Just saw on CNN that Samsung is suing Sam Sung for name infringement. Mr. Sung's parents are also named in the suit as co-defendants. Apple has offered legal assistance to Sam Sung to protect him from Samsung's law suit calling it frivolous.
###

It's seriously not funny, and worse, there will be someone believing it.

dabirdwell

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2002
Oklahoma
If I'm Tim Cook, I put 100K on this right now. Not just for charity, but the amazing office souvenir value.

To 80-year-old Jonny:
"Did I ever tell you about the time I bought Samsung? Heh heh heh." #

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin

One of the many who are generous enough to make generous contributions to Children's Wish. It certainly won't be anyone that only focuses on gi'me gi'me gi'me.

----------

Typical Sam Sung. Copying Jony Ive's auctioning of Apple merch for charity. Doesn't have an original thought!

It's pretty sad when someone condemns charitable giving. :(

It's even sadder when so many agree with that condemnation. :( :(

----------

Are we sure he's not just selling a copy? :p

Who cares? What difference does it make. There are likely hundreds of his cards he handed out flowing around. It's for charity!

----------

If he was auctioning it for charity, why isn't his auction a charity auction?
No fees / incentives when an actual charity auction.

Likely because he lives in Canada, and it's a lot easier to auction on ebay than set up a charity auction through the government.

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
One of the many who are generous enough to make generous contributions to Children's Wish. It certainly won't be anyone that only focuses on gi'me gi'me gi'me.

----------

It's pretty sad when someone condemns charitable giving. :(

It's even sadder when so many agree with that condemnation. :( :(

----------

Who cares? What difference does it make. There are likely hundreds of his cards he handed out flowing around. It's for charity!

----------

Likely because he lives in Canada, and it's a lot easier to auction on ebay than set up a charity auction through the government.

Someone get this person a sense of humour! Stat!

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
It's seriously not funny, and worse, there will be someone believing it.

The irony being that Apple has sued (or at least has been reported suing) more people regarding the "Apple" name and other of it's product names than Samsung.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I know where I currently work, you are asked to turn in all shirts and badges at time of leaving - in part to make sure you don't try and pretend to still work for them. But also because they don't charge you for any of it to begin with and if it's in good condition, they can possibly reuse it later if an employee needs a shirt NOW and a new one isn't available.

I have personally seen places place an exit charge in the agreement for company property that isn't returned. That means they would not have paid a deposit, yet it would be deducted from their final paycheck if the items were not returned.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
It's cute. Obviously with the troubles these two companies seem to have it is just a little bit of, dare I say it, tech history. He did a good job of displaying it and making it something that was worth buying if you're into that and best of all, he is doing it for charity. I dig it.
Now only if former Samsung employee App Le would do the same...
That was cute...let the hunt begin!
Policy says otherwise. You are required to return the shirts and not allowed to keep them. Used to be different but that's the way it is now.
I thought so just based on knowledge from a recent employee now former employee but...

You are suppose to return all apple shirts/fleece and lanyards when you leave apple. But none of us do.

Exactly and it seems that the folks who sell off their shirts and such (even ones that are being sold on this site) get away with it. Seems like the least enforced "rule" Apple may have.

NuclearWasted

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2009
So, did anyone notice that it is over $80K now?

Just saw that myself. I'm wondering how that will work out for him tax wise? I don't know Canada tax laws but in the US that would be considered income and even turning around and donating the entire amount to charity wouldn't offset the whole tax liability.

Boatboy24

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2011
1 Infinite Loop
Just saw that myself. I'm wondering how that will work out for him tax wise? I don't know Canada tax laws but in the US that would be considered income and even turning around and donating the entire amount to charity wouldn't offset the whole tax liability.

Was wondering that myself.

I guess he could have the winner simply pay the charity directly.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
The irony being that Apple has sued (or at least has been reported suing) more people regarding the "Apple" name and other of it's product names than Samsung.

Apple hasn't sued any _people_ named Apple over the Apple name. The OP made a false claim that Samsung had sued a _person_ named Sam Sung over their name, and false claims about companies suing people over their name are not funny.

And I'll admit that I've never heard of Samsung suing anyone over the use of the name "Apple". It's probably because of Apple's litigation that there's no movie "Guardians of the iPhone" being released.

----------

In Germany it wouldn't be considered income (unless he has a business selling used clothes, or if he bought it for speculative gains), while donating the money to the right kind of charity would be tax deductible, so overall he'd make a bit of money from it. Of course he'd make more money by keeping the money and not donating. But then maybe he'd receive less money.

I'd be quite sure that anywhere where charitable donations are tax deductible the whole amount would be tax deductible, so you'd break even at least. In some places the local inland revenue will have a small amount of donations built into your tax calculation automatically (so people don't bother the inland revenue with $10 donations that cause more work than tax savings), so he might lose out a bit that way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.