Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
A shakeup in some of these prominent companies associated with the former USSR. Please limit your comments to these games only, how good you think they are and your expectations for the next generation of post-apocalyptic games, with zero discussion in this thread regarding the conflict.

I just finished Metro Exodus which is excellent and now trying to get into STALKER Call of Pripyat as I continue to dabble in World of Warships.

Looks like Wargaming. publisher of both World of Tanks and World of Warships, a PVP based game featuring WW1 and WWII aircraft and ships is leaving Belarus completely in light of the ongoing Russia Ukraine Conflict.

Wargaming, the developer of the online military games World of Tanks, World of Warships, and World of Warplanes, has announced that it will pull out of operations in Russia and Belarus and move to close its studios.

In a statement posted to LinkedIn, Wargaming said it had started the process of closing its Minsk studio. It also said that, effective March 31, it had transferred the business of operating its games in Russia and Belarus to Lesta Studio, a Russian developer that Wargaming acquired in 2011, but which “is no longer affiliated with Wargaming,” according to the statement. The games will remain available in Russia and Belarus under Lesta’s ownership.

“The company will not profit from this process either today or going forward. Much to the contrary we expect to suffer substantial losses as a direct result of this decision,” the statement said. World of Tanks is a very popular game in Russia.

Wargaming also owns a studio in the Ukrainian capital Kyiv and employs over 500 people there. In February, Wargaming fired creative director Sergey Burkatovskiy after he made a statement in support of the Russian invasion of Ukraine on Facebook. Burkatovskiy’s stance “categorically does not reflect the position of the company,” Wargaming told PC Gamer.

In Addition, GSC Game World based in Ukrain,e developer of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R series (a post- armageddon game) is leaving Ukraine moving to the Czech Republic for now.

A4 Games Developer of the Metro Series a Post Armageddon Game, formerly a Ukrainian, country previously moved to Malta.

Reactions: Irishman

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Ok, I’ll add game ratings for the effected companies. :D
  • Metro Exodus- excellent Story, nicely presented. See dedicated thread. Other older metros are worthy but mostly spent underground with dated graphics. Exodus benefits from more recent technology.
  • World of Warships- could be great, but made unrealistic in the name of game balancing, invisible destroyers with huge torpedo salvos. I play it and curse frequently. See dedicated thread.
  • World of Tanks- Stale, predictable battles with players that have played these staged battles thousands of times. Run to your rock or building corner and play peekaboo, eat my shell. :) Also it has slid hardcore (IMO) into pay to win with premium $tanks$ that are better than tech tree equivalents. See dedicated thread.
  • S.T.A.L.K.E.R Series- Dedicated fan base, I’ve looked at the older games in the series and not sold on them, but @Queen6 makes a compelling argument for this series. See dedicated thread.

Last edited:

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
It makes perfect sense. If you don't like the conditions of X, why are you still at X?

Same deal that drives everyone into quitting their jobs right now. If conditions are that terrible and the only other option is to leave, people will choose to leave.

The era of "battered spouse" employees and companies is ending...

Reactions: Huntn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.