Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

loui100

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2019
I know it's been said that Fort Solis on Mac is a terrible port, but just out of curiosity I downloaded both versions and wow... Via Crossover it's actually fairly playable on highest settings at 1440p at around 45-60 fps (on a M3 Max, granted), not great but not terrible. Yet somehow the Mac port not only runs worse than the PC version running through multiple translation layers, but it's basically a slideshow, 30 fps or below. Constant stuttering and glitches and audio pops too. On top of that the cursor runs like molasses. It just amazes me how you can make a native port run significantly worse than Wine emulation. Quite the achievement!

JordanNZ

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
And yet there's still those adamantly against the idea of compatibility layers on macOS
We HAVE comparability layers on macOS. It’s just not a great idea to have that as the only option… A counter to this example is League of Legends, which I know you personally don’t care about, but it’s an extremely popular game. That’s going to be dead through every compatibility layer. Bye bye Linux. Fort Solis unfortunately uses an extremely early/unoptimised version of Lumen for macOS. The UE5 Mac backend needs some serious polishing with these new features.

Reactions: Irishman and Homy

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2009
And yet there's still those adamantly against the idea of compatibility layers on macOS
You take one exception to the rule (a case which requires confirmation) to draw a conclusion?
For basically all other games, compatibility layers yield worse performance if the games even run.

Reactions: Homy

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Are there any UE5 games that run well on macOS. It seems like none of them do (heh a lot don't run well on Windows either to be fair).

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Having a game working properly should be the result of the developers' work, no matter the platform.

Feral Interactive doesn't seem to have much of a problem with making Windows games work well on Macs. Can't others?

Reactions: Homy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.