Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Anyone playing Fortnite BR? It’s totally free, nicer looking (IMO) PUBG for Mac, with the Fortnite building mechanics (or Minecraft maybe?).

Plays like a dream on my 5K iMac (thanks Metal!), and I got #19 on my third try. Games fill up real fast too, so very little waiting around. Also making the shrinking circle a storm makes a lot more sense. Give it a go, it’s a hefty download, but loads of fun - even if you’ve never played PUBG or fell off the first person wagon like me.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Erik,

I'm glad that it's playing well for you, but after downloading and installing it, I don't get much beyond the character selection screens. (The music plays fine, but that's all).

I may revisit it down the line.

marksatt

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2013
Likely the NVIDIA. I believe Feral had issues with making Deus Ex run on Metal on Nvidia as well.

FNBR was running OK for me this evening on an Nvidia 750M in a 2014 MacBook Pro. That machine however has 4x the VRAM which will help enormously - for Irishman's Mac it may be necessary to turn all the graphics settings down to their lowest option as this isn't done by default.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
FNBR was running OK for me this evening on an Nvidia 750M in a 2014 MacBook Pro. That machine however has 4x the VRAM which will help enormously - for Irishman's Mac it may be necessary to turn all the graphics settings down to their lowest option as this isn't done by default.

Mark, I can attest that, indeed, reducing the graphics presets to low makes the game very playable for me. :)

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
I play it from time to time, gives me less heart palpitations than PUBG. I too like the graphic style, and being able to build myself some cover when getting to the final stages is really helpful.

I'm yet to win though, best I can do is come 2nd.

marksatt

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2013
Mark, I can attest that, indeed, reducing the graphics presets to low makes the game very playable for me. :)

At last! I did something right for someone! :p

In all seriousness, I'm very happy that it worked for you sir. At some point I'll fix the auto-scalability stuff and it'll configure properly by default.

Reactions: Irishman

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
At last! I did something right for someone! :p

In all seriousness, I'm very happy that it worked for you sir. At some point I'll fix the auto-scalability stuff and it'll configure properly by default.

I do have a follow-up question: is there a frame counter in FBR like the one in UT? I'd love to give you some actual numbers to chew on :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.