Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Im not sure if @na1577 and me were the only MR users with Fortnite installed natively installed on our devices, but in case there’s other people with the app, I wanted to ask them if they keep playing without issues.

I used to play every now and then, but suddenly (no update, no changes on the system) it has stopped working. Basically, it shows it is unable to log in using the Epic Games log in identifier (some say using the Gmail account works, but I don’t have Gmail)

1666219464607.jpeg

1666219523000.jpeg

Reactions: tomzer1

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
My guess is possibly that Fortnite shut down the ability for those that still had the app installed vieo iOS/iPad OS access. If you were still playing after the removal from the App Store with no problems that is my only guess.

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
My guess is possibly that Fortnite shut down the ability for those that still had the app installed vieo iOS/iPad OS access. If you were still playing after the removal from the App Store with no problems that is my only guess.

Yep, I’ve been playing since the removal of the app, until few days ago, with no issues. I have been merely updating my iPad instead of performing clean installs, in order to preserve the app, and I have been playing normally (the game has been stuck on Chapter 2 Season 3 since the removal from the App Store).

I open this post just to see if other fellow users are having the same issue, and maybe the MacRumors team wants to verify this with Epic in order to make it public on the front page, if they want to.

tomzer1

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2021
Im not sure if @na1577 and me were the only MR users with Fortnite installed natively installed on our devices, but in case there’s other people with the app, I wanted to ask them if they keep playing without issues.

I used to play every now and then, but suddenly (no update, no changes on the system) it has stopped working. Basically, it shows it is unable to log in using the Epic Games log in identifier (some say using the Gmail account works, but I don’t have Gmail)

View attachment 2098091

View attachment 2098093
The same situation for me. I’ve started digging around for other users with the same problem on Reddit, Twitter, etc. From what little I’ve gathered so far, Epic had updated their log-in authentication encryption just hours after I had last played. Which of course would force users to log out and re-log in. But of course we’re all getting the same screens now. I haven’t tried creating a new account through there yet…Like the suggested GMail account, or even trying Log In With Apple.

Anyway, if I come across any new information, I’ll post it here. There were a lot of iOS users still playing on the App server, and I’m sure they wouldn’t shut it down…At least not until the pending outcome of the trial in November. After all, they can still make money through VBucks through the app, and I’m sure they’d still want to retain all of those users if they can come back to the App Store. So they let us still play. I’m sure they’ve really screwed the selves out of a lot of income when they messed with their developer agreement and got dropped from iOS.

I did see one person say that they got back in by reloading their credentials for the App through an iTunes back up, so I might try this. JUST REMEMBER…iTunes, Files, and iCloud don’t back up apps. Just the data. SO DON’T ERASE THE APP just yet until we hear if Epic can come back the App Store or not. Boy, my iPad Pro was running the game so well. 😢

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
The same situation for me. I’ve started digging around for other users with the same problem on Reddit, Twitter, etc. From what little I’ve gathered so far, Epic had updated their log-in authentication encryption just hours after I had last played. Which of course would force users to log out and re-log in. But of course we’re all getting the same screens now. I haven’t tried creating a new account through there yet…Like the suggested GMail account, or even trying Log In With Apple.

Anyway, if I come across any new information, I’ll post it here. There were a lot of iOS users still playing on the App server, and I’m sure they wouldn’t shut it down…At least not until the pending outcome of the trial in November. After all, they can still make money through VBucks through the app, and I’m sure they’d still want to retain all of those users if they can come back to the App Store. So they let us still play. I’m sure they’ve really screwed the selves out of a lot of income when they messed with their developer agreement and got dropped from iOS.

I did see one person say that they got back in by reloading their credentials for the App through an iTunes back up, so I might try this. JUST REMEMBER…iTunes, Files, and iCloud don’t back up apps. Just the data. SO DON’T ERASE THE APP just yet until we hear if Epic can come back the App Store or not. Boy, my iPad Pro was running the game so well. 😢
Yep, good advice. Remember guys: Backups don’t save apps, the apps are just re-downloaded from App Store, and Fortnite isn’t on the App Store anymore.

Well, I managed to get the game working again, just not with my account. I did what others suggested: I created a throwaway Gmail account, used it to log in, and it worked… playing against bots.

At first I thought this meant that servers were shut down definitely, but then I realized that I was stuck at level 1 all the time. So I logged in with that Gmail/Epic throwaway account on GeForceNow, and leveled up until level 18. Then I logged back on Fortnite Mobile on my iPad, and… it is up and running again!!! Like always. I don’t really care about losing dresses and stuff, I’m old enough to not care too much about that.

tomzer1

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2021
Yep, good advice. Remember guys: Backups don’t save apps, the apps are just re-downloaded from App Store, and Fortnite isn’t on the App Store anymore.

Well, I managed to get the game working again, just not with my account. I did what others suggested: I created a throwaway Gmail account, used it to log in, and it worked… playing against bots.

At first I thought this meant that servers were shut down definitely, but then I realized that I was stuck at level 1 all the time. So I logged in with that Gmail/Epic throwaway account on GeForceNow, and leveled up until level 18. Then I logged back on Fortnite Mobile on my iPad, and… it is up and running again!!! Like always. I don’t really care about losing dresses and stuff, I’m old enough to not care too much about that.
Thank you for posting that update information, Populus! It gives me a couple things to try. The big thing seems to be getting through the new updated authentication system in the servers.

If I manage to get back in on my iPad Pro, I’ll post an update on what I did with mine. 🤔

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I hope my experience was useful, that’s why I shared it.

Unfortunately, I won’t be able to post any update because I just sold my iPad Pro, so no Fortnite Mobile for me anymore.

Good luck with your installed apps! Keep enjoying the Chapter 2 Season 3! (although for me the previous season was better).

tomzer1

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2021
I hope my experience was useful, that’s why I shared it.

Unfortunately, I won’t be able to post any update because I just sold my iPad Pro, so no Fortnite Mobile for me anymore.

Good luck with your installed apps! Keep enjoying the Chapter 2 Season 3! (although for me the previous season was better).
Very useful, and thanks for letting us all know.

Are you upgrading to another iPad or moving to something else?

And have a good start to the holiday season!

Reactions: Populus

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Very useful, and thanks for letting us all know.

Are you upgrading to another iPad or moving to something else?

And have a good start to the holiday season!
For now, I’ve gotten an M2 iPad Pro, but I’m still not sure if I will wait for a 13” MacBook Air, or ideally a 12” MacBook Air. But I guess I’ll have to wait for that.

Happy holidays to you too!

tomzer1

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2021
Well, I got back into the game on my iPad Pro by making a new account with Epic Games using the Google email address option. If you select that option in the Fortnite App to create a new account, it mostly works. Epic will ask you if you want to link your Google account with an existing Epic account. And you want to do so. When you try to log back in with the Google authentication code sent to your email, it will probably fail after you enter it. However, your account has been linked! So when you then try to log in with your original Epic account log-in that you normally used with the Fortnite App, it will probably work. It did for me.

So use that Google email log-in option. It appears to get you back in. And I got back in with it linked to my original Fortnite log-in, and I got my full locker back, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.