Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjharrell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2022
I have used Boot Camp to run Windows on my Mac to play Fortnite, and have also used NVIDIA GeForce NOW on my Mac to play Fortnite. Neither is satisfactory (GeForce because of the horrendous waiting line and Boot Camp because of the lag).

Are there any other options to play on Mac? Preferably free but hey, anything's helpful

Reactions: Irishman

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
As my dual-boot hackintosh died and I got a Mac Studio I'm begrudgingly using a paid (the cheapest one) GeForce Now account to play.

There's zero wait time and with an ethernet connection, my good internet connection and the power of the new computer I impressed with how well it all works. The free version is a terrible advertisement for what you get with paid.

mjharrell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2022
As my dual-boot Hackintosh died and I got a Mac Studio I'm begrudgingly using a paid (the cheapest one) GeForce Now account to play.

There's zero wait time and with an ethernet connection, my good internet connection, and the power of the new computer I was impressed with how well it all works. The free version is a terrible advertisement for what you get with paid.
TBH I love GeForce even for free. After the wait is over the only thing I really hate is the 1-hour limit. Just trying to get around the stupid queue.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I recently (last night) purchased the upgraded tier for Geforce Now for my daughter to play Fortnight. She complained about the queue as well.

She said that the game performance improved a lot. Not only does she not have to wait anymore, she said that the game graphics, and input lag has improved a lot.

If you want to stay with an older Mac, maybe the paid tier of Geforce Now would be worth it to play the game.

mjharrell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2022
I recently (last night) purchased the upgraded tier for Geforce Now for my daughter to play Fortnight. She complained about the queue as well.

She said that the game performance improved a lot. Not only does she not have to wait anymore, she said that the game graphics, and input lag has improved a lot.

If you want to stay with an older Mac, maybe the paid tier of Geforce Now would be worth it to play the game.
Must be nice to have parents who buy you things 🤣

I would for sure consider getting paid GeForce Now. No doubt that would be a great investment. I'm a little short on extra money right now so I'm kind of stuck on free.

I actually discovered today that Xbox Cloud Gaming works on Mac if you have a controller (Which I do). Xbox has a bit more lag than GeForce but has little to no wait time. Plus you get all the Xbox console benefits, like parties and friends. Will definitely be using this in the future.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
I have used Boot Camp to run Windows on my Mac to play Fortnite, and have also used NVIDIA GeForce NOW on my Mac to play Fortnite. Neither is satisfactory (GeForce because of the horrendous waiting line and Boot Camp because of the lag).

Are there any other options to play on Mac? Preferably free but hey, anything's helpful

I’m confused. This is the first I’m hearing about a lag issue from Boot Camping Windows 10 on a Mac. Maybe it’s something about your Mac that is old or below the minimum requirements of Fortnite.

What are your Mac’s specs?

mjharrell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2022
I’m confused. This is the first I’m hearing about a lag issue from Boot Camping Windows 10 on a Mac. Maybe it’s something about your Mac that is old or below the minimum requirements of Fortnite.

What are your Mac’s specs?
Windows itself runs just fine. The actual issue is with playing Fortnite.

It's a 2014 Mac mini running Monterey. 2.6GHz i5. 16GB RAM. Iris 1536MB Graphics.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
An update for my experience…I let my Geforce Now subscription lapse and have found that the free, one-hour limit version works a lot better than it used to and that the wait time seems better, also.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
An update for my experience…I let my Geforce Now subscription lapse and have found that the free, one-hour limit version works a lot better than it used to and that the wait time seems better, also.
Imagine how awesome it is on the Ultimate (paid) tier!!

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
I DO imagine that it would be much more awesome if someone else would pay for me! :)
If you're an AT&T 5G/fiber customer, you get 6 months of GeForce NOW Ultimate for free. No strings, no credit card required.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.