Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjharrell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2022
I have a Mac mini 2014 running Monterey. The machine has 16GB of RAM, a 1.12 TB HD, and Intel Iris 1536 MB Graphics.

I used Boot Camp to install Windows 10 onto this machine. The operation was completed successfully.

I then proceeded to download the Epic Games launcher, and then I downloaded Fortnite.

After launching the game and playing it, it was kind of a bad experience. The frame rate was extremely slow (Like 15 FPS) and there was a slight input lag on both KBM and controller. I believe the issue might lie in the underpowered graphics card.

Does anybody have any sort of suggestions on how I might make this run better?

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I have a Mac mini 2014 running Monterey. The machine has 16GB of RAM, a 1.12 TB HD, and Intel Iris 1536 MB Graphics.

I used Boot Camp to install Windows 10 onto this machine. The operation was completed successfully.

I then proceeded to download the Epic Games launcher, and then I downloaded Fortnite.

After launching the game and playing it, it was kind of a bad experience. The frame rate was extremely slow (Like 15 FPS) and there was a slight input lag on both KBM and controller. I believe the issue might lie in the underpowered graphics card.

Does anybody have any sort of suggestions on how I might make this run better?
What quality settings are you running in game? IIRC there are "esports" settings that are like lower than lowest.

Reactions: Irishman

mjharrell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2022
What quality settings are you running in game? IIRC there are "esports" settings that are like lower than lowest.
Before I even started a match I turned all the quality settings as low as possible and still wound up with a really bad experience.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I think you're just running into the reality that the 2014 Mini didn't have great graphics performance when it was a new model 8 years ago.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
I'll probably just have to stick with cloud gaming then. The machine is already 9 years old so I shouldn't expect much.

Or, start saving for a newer M1 Mac Mini (maybe even one of the rumored M2 Pro Mac Mini some time in the first or second quarter.

That’s what I’m doing. 😂

carylee2002

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2008
Get a eGPU enclosure and at the very least a RX 570 4gb pc card on the low end. Now you will need to do a hack because most eGPU is thunderbolt 3 and Macmini 2014 is Thunderbolt 2 but there is tutorials on how to fix that with a apple adapter and a command to be done in terminal via Youtube. Then just use that card for gaming. Also make sure the video card is compatible with monterey via apples website. No Nvidia cards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.