Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brendel95

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2005
I need to use f77 for OSX, but I can't find it anywhere. (Free version would be good like gcc). Is there any website or anyone that can help me to install f77 on my mac.

Thanks in advance

Billicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2002
Charles City, Iowa
Hi, I have a GNU compiler installed on my computer via Fink (Fink Commander). I'll briefly walk you through the steps to get it set up.

1. Download and install Fink.
2. Download and install Fink Commander.
3. Search for and install the package "g77".

After this is complete you should be able to use the compiler from the command line in the format g77 imput.f output.o

:)

Nuc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
TN
gfortran

Why not use F95. I'm using the gfortran compiler, it's pretty good. It is backwards compatible to f77 I believe.

Nuc

brendel95

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2005
Nuc said:
Why not use F95. I'm using the gfortran compiler, it's pretty good. It is backwards compatible to f77 I believe.

Nuc

Is F95 free? And where I can find it?
Most of the code that have failed under g77 (old code and math library). That is why I am trying to get f77 specifically.

Nuc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
TN
I'm not to sure about getting F95 specifically. I was meaning to write in Fortran 95. I was talking about gfortran. I think if you try this link and download the g95 (gfortran) you might get better results, but don't take my word for it.

To get f77 you might be able to download some trial based software such as NAGware. Absoft Fortran is also another program. IBM makes one as well. These all should be backwards compatible with fortran 77. Of course these will cost you some money. But you could use them on a trial basis and see if it works.

Hope this works let us know.

Nuc

brendel95

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2005
Nuc said:
I'm not to sure about getting F95 specifically. I was meaning to write in Fortran 95. I was talking about gfortran. I think if you try this link and download the g95 (gfortran) you might get better results, but don't take my word for it.

To get f77 you might be able to download some trial based software such as NAGware. Absoft Fortran is also another program. IBM makes one as well. These all should be backwards compatible with fortran 77. Of course these will cost you some money. But you could use them on a trial basis and see if it works.

Hope this works let us know.

Nuc

Thanks for the input. And I will try those free trial thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.