Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

questionwonder

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2013
I'm looking at getting the new iPhone SE.
I want to use overseas with its dual SIM - eSim capabilities.
I don't wan to purchase AT&T's International plan (pricey). I'd like to purchase an International eSim with a US number (World Sim, One Sim Card)

When I'm overseas, I'll disable roaming so I won't get charged for data fees and from what I've read I won't get charged for incoming text messages, I think? I can return messages with my eSim plan or iMessage when I'm on wifi, so I think I'm ok there, but I want to receive all calls coming from the US to my AT&T line.

Question - If I have my AT&T phone number forward all incoming calls to my eSim number, will I get charged any international fees from AT&T? I think in order to forward calls I have to have the AT&T Sim on right, or can I setup call forwarding and then turn the AT&T line off?
Ex. If I'm in Germany and someone from the US calls my AT&T line and it automatically forwards it to my eSim line, will AT&T charge me because I'm forwarding the incoming call from a network that isn't theirs?

I don't want to return from traveling and have a large bill!

Steven-iphone

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2020
United States
Or you could setup a Google Voice number in the US and anywhere in the world you have data you will have a US based number people can use to contact you.

Or join WhatsApp, have your contacts join WhatsApp and connect for free.

questionwonder

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2013
Steven -
I've tried setting this up with Google voice, but it doesn't accept call forwarding on the same phone, when the phone is disabled when traveling.
ex. I have a GV number and I tried forwarding my AT&T calls to my GV number on the same phone. Doesn't work, goes straight to voicemail. I've read in different forums that GV wasn't created for this, although in the past it had a call forward setting when the phone is off, but that was in the legacy settings of GV. But those settings don't exist anymore, they've been removed.
[automerge]1590903248[/automerge]
You should check out AT&T's International Day Pass, $10/day and uses your plan's allowances.

But if I get a text or call coming in to voicemail, I get charged the $10. Right?
I can disable data and use a eSim or a burner phone for app data, but if I want to get my calls and text I get multiple a day, so I'd end up spending $10/day x N days traveling. That's not good...

Steven-iphone

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2020
United States
Steven -
I've tried setting this up with Google voice, but it doesn't accept call forwarding on the same phone, when the phone is disabled when traveling.
ex. I have a GV number and I tried forwarding my AT&T calls to my GV number on the same phone. Doesn't work, goes straight to voicemail. I've read in different forums that GV wasn't created for this, although in the past it had a call forward setting when the phone is off, but that was in the legacy settings of GV. But those settings don't exist anymore, they've been removed.
Did you try detaching your cell number from the Google Voice in setup (if you have it linked). Then you would receive your calls via the Google Voice app.

Once Google Voice is setup with a US based number - that number does not need to be linked to the GV number. All GV calls would be handled via the GV app.

questionwonder

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2013
Personal, I would just keep it simple, give everyone, if possible, your GV number and handle the calls on the GV app.
I have hundreds of numbers, that's not going to happen.
[automerge]1590942747[/automerge]
Did you try detaching your cell number from the Google Voice in setup (if you have it linked). Then you would receive your calls via the Google Voice app.

Once Google Voice is setup with a US based number - that number does not need to be linked to the GV number. All GV calls would be handled via the GV app.
This won't work if it's the same phone and you have the phone disabled while traveling.
Unless you know something I don't know about GV?

Last edited:

questionwonder

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2013
The objection is to receive phone calls and text messages when not on wifi, and not have to pay AT&T's International plan.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
The objection is to receive phone calls and text messages when not on wifi, and not have to pay AT&T's International plan.
What I meant was data on the roaming SIM being used as "Wi-Fi" for the AT&T SIM so you don't get hit with roaming charges.

512KRe

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2020
Be careful if you enable wi-fi calling while abroad. On T-mobile, the network will switch to cell when the wifi signal is weak, WITHOUT NOTIFYING YOU. So you think you’re getting a free wifi call and you then discover a big bill. It can switch multiple times within one call.

rgeraght

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2011
I've tried google voice and drawback is texting (you can send but not receive, or vice versa, it's one of these). Without voice and text no good imho.

I switched from AT&T to T-mobile for international, and happy with it, except tmobile very slow in san jose, but for travel much better deal than AT&T when going for a longer trips. AT&T is great for week, but adds up quickly if you travel more than that,

Tried local esim etc.. but pain to give different phone number for people to use depending on local. Nice using same number everywhere. Local esim will always have faster data though,

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
Be careful if you enable wi-fi calling while abroad. On T-mobile, the network will switch to cell when the wifi signal is weak, WITHOUT NOTIFYING YOU. So you think you’re getting a free wifi call and you then discover a big bill. It can switch multiple times within one call.

One way around this is to put your phone in airplane mode and then enable wi-fi. Then only wifi calling/texting will work while you are traveling internationally.

512KRe

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2020
One way around this is to put your phone in airplane mode and then enable wi-fi. Then only wifi calling/texting will work while you are traveling internationally.
Thanks. I did not know you could do that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.