Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wnameth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 18, 2004
Canada
I have turned on internet sharing on, on the built in ethernet, then i ran a cord to my sisters room, (she has a windows PC) but she still can't get internet. I don't know what settings i have to change on her PC or anything, I hate PC's and get frustrated easily with them. Can someone please help me by telling me what steps i have to do or if i am doing something wrong/right.

PLEASE HELP ASAP AND LEAVE RESPONSE

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
wnameth said:
This is urgent! please leave advice ASAP

you are missing some basic information, like how you are getting internet if not through ethernet. i assume it is from wireless, or usb cable modem. if it is a usb cable modem, i would get a router. it makes networking alot easier. they are fairly cheap. you will probably need to register the router with your ISP.

however, what i bet is the problem you are using a patch cable instead of a cross over. newer ethernet cards of autodetect, that can solve this problem. that probably it, but if it isn't i suggest you post more information.

wnameth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 18, 2004
Canada
Ok, i have a router up stairs, and i have a wireless PCI CARD in my tower. I am using a direct ethernet cord (not patch). is that enough info?

Advance The Man

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2005
I am not tech advanced at all!

I share files to/from Windows XP to my new PB.

I followed it straight from a forum, and I thought it was this one. I have it bookmarked on my Windows machine. If you're still trying to do it, respond and I'll be back at my PC Monday evening.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.