Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
That's impressive and a lot of dedication.

I have processed my odd batch of found film, but rarely get anything of substance(if I get anything usable). He's not exaggerating when he talks about how difficult the film can be to handle. All film has some curl when it's fresh off the reel or out of the can, but even 30 year old film can be a nightmare.

One thing I didn't see him address is what developer he uses. I have always used D76 for found film, which is the same as I use for about 90% of my other film. I know of other folks who use HC110, and seem to think it's better at surpressing fog. I've also experimented with adding benzotriazone as an anti-fog agent, although I suspect this guy. The 7 minutes he mentioned is a typical time for B&W developers, but benzotrialoze will result in increased times in the 10-12 minute range.

Whatever the technical aspects are, the images he gets are truly amazing and haunting at the same time.

Reactions: PracticalMac

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Can't quite imagine the next generation being as excited to find an SD card! It's not quite the same.

What's an SD card? Is it that little second slot on my D800 that I never use? :)

In all seriousness, I play with some early digital cameras and have picked up a fair number of used CFs and more recently a couple of SmartMedia cards(anyone remember those?). It can be interesting to take a look at what's on them, but it's nothing like the excitement of seeing a roll of found film when you do actually get something.

Years ago, there was a guy who regularly posted on Photo.net who did a lot of found film. His stuff was fascinating as he'd often just find family photos but would make up a good story to go along with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.