Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trhodezy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 29, 2010
I Recently restored my phone to free up a lot of space and had to add my fingerprints back onto the device...

Did you know that if you have the fingerprint settings page open and you place your designated digit on the TouchID sensor it highlights which finger is already scanned; see the image below as my explanation isn't the best..

Just thought it was a nice tidbit (and quite the subtle solution to an earlier issue of not knowing which scan belongs to which finger).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 1,449

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
Not only that but you can tap on the word finger 1 and change it to the actual finger name I.e. Right hand thumb

Xerxers

Yep, this is what I do as I added my prints. Makes it easy to ID later. (never needed to but I'm ready)

Suspended
Sep 15, 2012
It's been known for a while, but another thing it does is it reads your print and gets more accurate every time it does. This area in Settings is a good quick place to contribute to the accuracy of your prints.

Last edited:
Reactions: Trhodezy

Trhodezy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 29, 2010
Thanks for the replies guys. I hadn't noticed this before, even if it is a long standing feature.

All the sarcastic commenters, petty and pathetic. Grow up.

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
I've also read that by doing this (rescanning your finger) it refines the data for that finger, making it more accurate.

(Or whataf21187said :)

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
This was mentioned before on this forum.. but still good to know for newcomers who are not familiar with it.

Trhodezy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 29, 2010
I've also read that by doing this (rescanning your finger) it refines the data for that finger, making it more accurate.

(Or whataf21187said :)

Haha, yeah it's pretty interesting! I've found the accuracy to be near on perfect. Great bit of hardware.

This was mentioned before on this forum.. but still good to know for newcomers who are not familiar with it.

Oh yes, it's the little things like this that help newcomers understand how deep Apple think when it comes to design and functionality.

I did not know about this. Thank you for sharing!

Cheers! Glad I helped someone. ;)

lovewd

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2013
I Recently restored my phone to free up a lot of space and had to add my fingerprints back onto the device...

Did you know that if you have the fingerprint settings page open and you place your designated digit on the TouchID sensor it highlights which finger is already scanned; see the image below as my explanation isn't the best..

Just thought it was a nice tidbit (and quite the subtle solution to an earlier issue of not knowing which scan belongs to which finger).

This has been present since 7

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
It's been that way since at least 8.2 (that's when I upgraded from 5 to 6 and finally got Touch ID.) I assumed it was always that way, since I never got to play with it prior to then.
I can confirm the feature is present on my iPhone 5s running iOS 8.1. Never knew it existed before I saw this thread though :)

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
Did you know if you swipe up on home screen you can turn wifi off/on. ;)

I didn't know this was a thing until I installed 8.3 on my 6. Control Center is widely advertised as an iOS feature, and can be found on any iOS device running 7 or newer. For a lot of people, they don't have devices with touch ID to know this previous, hidden (as in not prominently documented) feature...

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Did you know if you swipe up on home screen you can turn wifi off/on. ;)
Control Center? Yes, that one I've known about since pretty much day 1 on my iPhone 5s/iOS 7 :)

The feature described by the OP is new to me since I don't spend nearly as much time in Settings > Touch ID & Passcode ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.