Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ilzen&Mac

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2009
Krefeld, Germany
After finding out that there would be some problems with uncommon SATA in latest Air's revisions I've been looking for the SSD drives that would not only accept my demands (at least 128Gb and up to 256) but would also work with the last two revisions (not only 1,8", 5mm thick but also SATA-LIF).

After searching a little in a web the best thing I found was the 128Gb drive with better performing than the factory-assembled Samsung's one. Actually here's it: http://www.runcore.com/content/prod...mages/RCP-IV-LA1800-Cth.jpg&GBSize=32GB-128GB .

And now I wonder if these drives are the best drives we will ever be able to put in 2nd and 3rd editions just because of the damn SATA-LIF requirements or there's a chance that there'll ever be a larger, and probably a cheaper one???:confused:

kntgsp

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2004
The numbers are better, particularly the random 4K writes which are the best gauge, but all in all you wouldn't notice much of a difference with it. At least not in day to day use.

I'd rather find some way to mod the Air to use SATA or the new Intel X-18M to use LIF via some adapter since the Intel drive is cheaper, has higher capacity, and would blow that drive out of the water.

Otherwise the gain just isn't worth the third party drive in my opinion.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
The random 4K writes are better, but all in all you wouldn't notice much of a difference with it. At least not in day to day use.

I'd rather find some way to mod the Air to use SATA or the new Intel X-18M to use LIF via some adapter since the Intel drive is cheaper, has higher capacity, and would blow that drive out of the water.

Otherwise the gain just isn't worth the third party drive in my opinion.

There's a thread that explains how to solder the LIF cable in the MBA to a SATA connector. Then plug that into drive. The thread is in MBA section and mentions micro-SATA conversion in title.

Also, I would just take pin arrangement labels from that thread along with the MBA standard cable and a SATA drive connector cable to a custom cable maker. I have had custom cables or prototypes made for less than $50.

Personally, I am happy with SSD in my MBA. But would consider if I could install a 256 GB SSD.
Good luck.

kntgsp

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2004
There's a thread that explains how to solder the LIF cable in the MBA to a SATA connector. Then plug that into drive. The thread is in MBA section and mentions micro-SATA conversion in title.

Also, I would just take pin arrangement labels from that thread along with the MBA standard cable and a SATA drive connector cable to a custom cable maker. I have had custom cables or prototypes made for less than $50.

Personally, I am happy with SSD in my MBA. But would consider if I could install a 256 GB SSD.
Good luck.

Awesome, I'll take a look at it. Imagine a Gen2 X-18M in there. *Droooool*

Hell that may be worth doing depending on the new X-18M prices. The random 4K writes on the new Gen 2's are insanely fast.

mhnajjar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2008
There is no need to do any additional work like soldering or anything else with this one.

"The upgrade package includes a High Speed USB 2.0 HDD case and cables to clone your existing drive and turn it into an external USB drive, Carbon Copy Cloner Software, a screwdriver, stickers, and any additional specific cables necessary for installation."

I can't wait for the prices to drop :D

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
There is no need to do any additional work like soldering or anything else with this one.

"The upgrade package includes a High Speed USB 2.0 HDD case and cables to clone your existing drive and turn it into an external USB drive, Carbon Copy Cloner Software, a screwdriver, stickers, and any additional specific cables necessary for installation."

What are you talking about? Are you implying that you found a 1.8" 5mm height SATA-II SSD with an LIF connector? Very highly doubt that!

mhnajjar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2008
What are you talking about? Are you implying that you found a 1.8" 5mm height SATA-II SSD with an LIF connector? Very highly doubt that!

That is the Runcore linked by the OP. It is coming soon and they would supply the required LIF connector according to what I quoted from there website.

kntgsp

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2004

Yea but why? The performance increase in that one over the SSD that's already in it would be marginal at best, at least to the average user. Modding it to accept standard SATA is where it's at. This LIF connector crap is garbage.

The X-18M is 5mm and the Gen2's blow every other 1.8" drive out of the water.

Ilzen&Mac

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2009
Krefeld, Germany
Yea but why? The performance increase in that one over the SSD that's already in it would be marginal at best, at least to the average user. Modding it to accept standard SATA is where it's at. This LIF connector crap is garbage.

The X-18M is 5mm and the Gen2's blow every other 1.8" drive out of the water.

Well, actually this model is a way out for those who have hd-version of the air, as it's very hard to find a stock samsung's one. And those who don't feel comfortable soldering a thing they bought for 1200$$$ as least

kntgsp

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2004
Well, actually this model is a way out for those who have hd-version of the air, as it's very hard to find a stock samsung's one. And those who don't feel comfortable soldering a thing they bought for 1200$$$ as least

Oh well yea if they bought one with a HD then it's a great option.

Still don't understood why people bought them with HDs though and didn't just wait for price drops.... :rolleyes:

mhnajjar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2008
Oh well yea if they bought one with a HD then it's a great option.

Still don't understood why people bought them with HDs though and didn't just wait for price drops.... :rolleyes:

I got the HD over the SSD because I got the RARE 9C8F screen and I have no need for an SSD since my 3.06 iMac is doing the hard work.

This is better than the stock SSD and cheaper. In addition, you can get it in larger capacity that what Apple is offering.

:D

kntgsp

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2004
I got the HD over the SSD because I got the RARE 9C8F screen and I have no need for an SSD since my 3.06 iMac is doing the hard work.

This is better than the stock SSD and cheaper. In addition, you can get it in larger capacity that what Apple is offering.

:D

True, but if you're going to bother upgrading to third party SSD, I'd rather do the SATA mod and stuff in an X18-M 160GB Gen 2 in there. Same price, larger capacity, and blows whatever other pissant third party drive out of the water.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I would love to hear from someone who actually gets one. I am still willing to bet the seller read the SATA-II drive specs of the rev B/C MBA and assumes the same size drive will fit in the MBA... not understanding the LIF connector.

However, I would love to see that the cable conversion now exists. That's the hangup, a cable that runs from the LIF connector in the MBA to a standard SATA-II connection which would allow any drive that is 1.8" with 5mm height clearance dimensions to fit in the MBA.

Could be really great news... if so, where do we get this cable?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.