Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
I need TWO 30" 2K displays that can be driven from one Radeon 4870, which has dual-link DVI.

I'm interested in something that is comparable to the old Apple Cinema Display. Yes, the ones from 20-years ago.

stain-like-jpg.951697

I know that in those days the Dell monitors were supreme alternatives, but now used ones are often as much or more than the Apple displays!

When shopping for monitors today, the manufacturers are cramming every pixel and up-charge they can to raise the prices. If I want cheep, I will get tacky "features" but degraded image quality. If I want image quality, add a comma and it's going to be 4K like it or not.

Basically, if I could get a pair of Cinema Displays, I'd be ok with that. If I have to buy something more recent, maybe more contrast would be nice, but it still has to have 2K resolution NATIVE and DVI input.

I haven't seen many posts with this info recently since...well it's kind of a niche request. Can anybody tell me what options they've succeeded with for non-4K cut and dry image quality without whiz-bang features? For use in Aperture.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I have been using a BenQ PD3200Q QHD screen (2560x1440) for over two years on my 2018 Mini and have been very pleased with it. No idea how it compares with the 30" ACD or compatibility with your graphics card. I use a USB-C to displayport adapter on my Mini.

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
I have been using a BenQ PD3200Q QHD screen

If I could afford a pair of BenQ it would be a no-brainer XD However, I will keep that in mind as I'm searching used or otherwise low-cost/liquidation options. This is for a 2009 Mac Pro running Leopard :oops:

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
@Amethyst1 this is actually a very nifty tool. I’ll use this as a lead too. Thanks. Will update with whatever I finally purchase.

Reactions: Amethyst1

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
on-my-way-eric-cartman.gif

YOU GUYS! YOU GUYS!

I'm shocked at the deal I got. The monitors I ended up with are well worth the long search!

HP Z27n Released in 2015. Not the G2 model.

One important detail I didn't consider until digging into the Dell and Apple displays I originally searched for is that they are CCFL backlit. The degradation of fluorescent lighting is unacceptable for my purposes.

I scoured eBay for dual monitor deals and happened upon a seller in California with pairs of these babies in Grade A condition.

I bit the bullet for a week and when they arrived I was shocked.

After cleaning the displays, I found not a speck. Not one frozen or damaged pixel nor any diffuser specks. The display images were perfect. I calibrated both displays and they were so close to being color-correct that calibration wouldn't be necessary for most people in most situations. I tested calibration by copying the profiles to another Mac. I then ran the exact same test footage on both Macs with the displays side-by-side and the image was so consistent between the two that it absolutely surpassed my every expectation.

HP promises 350nits from the LED backlight and that is precisely what they measured! I calibrated mine at 250nits as that's the max I work at with any monitor.

One backlight gauge reads 860hrs of use while the other is over 12,000hrs! Still, they look perfectly even and I will not complain since each monitor adds up to about $116 shipped!

They look fantastic! Images really come to life and jump off the panel. The backlight shows when displaying absolute black but that doesn't detract from my photo editing or any real application. They are QHD native which is what I really wanted. The Mac Pro 4,1 successfully drives these two displays as well as a UHD display at the same time.

I am so utterly blown away with these displays that I have to recommend them to others. There are still plenty of pairs left on the seller's listing.

Just look at these bezels! Absolute win!

dith.jpg

Reactions: picpicmac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.