Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dekema2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
WNY or Utica
Unless someone can tell me why I should burn $30 on a new pair of EarPods, I would rather buy a solid pair of earbuds that cost more and would last longer than be exploited by Apple's savvy planned obsolescence scheme.

With every pair, I try to keep them in good shape. No frayed wires, proper storage in my pocket, etc. After about 3-4 months though, the left earbud decreases in volume and I have to angle it in my ear to get clearer sound, which is much quieter than when I bought them.

Any suggestions? All of the other cheap headphones and earbuds around my house are just that, cheap.

Edit November 25: It all makes sense now...I guess my left ear produces a lot of earwax or something and (although translucent) it builds a film on the grille. The bristles of a toothbrush can surprisingly fix this.

Last edited:

AllergyDoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2013
Utah, USA
I only use them for talking on the phone. For listening to music I use, used, my Bose QuietComfort headphones (they broke :() or cheap earbuds from Monoprice. Lots will chime in here on good, expensive, earphones.

lexdiamonnyc

macrumors regular
Feb 29, 2012
NYC
i'm in the "never used them" camp, have a few pairs in their original boxes from my current and previous phones. they sound like crap in my opinion.

go ahead and get you a nicer pair of earbuds!

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
i'm in the "never used them" camp, have a few pairs in their original boxes from my current and previous phones. they sound like crap in my opinion.

go ahead and get you a nicer pair of earbuds!

How do you know they sound like crap if you've never used them? Methinks perhaps you have used them, contrary to your statement.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
How do you know they sound like crap if you've never used them? Methinks perhaps you have used them, contrary to your statement.

You don't have to use them to know they are rubbish. Bundle headphones with any device are never good as they are just cheap products designed to maximise profit. Besides I know plenty of people who have used them who agree with me.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
You don't have to use them to know they are rubbish. Bundle headphones with any device are never good as they are just cheap products designed to maximise profit. Besides I know plenty of people who have used them who agree with me.

Yes but to a degree SQ is subjective... how do you know you don't like Oranges if you've never eaten an Orange? I think that is what he was getting at.

IMO the EarPods aren't awful... they're on par with low end Sony earbuds and actually sound great for Podcasts, my favorite for Podcasts actually. Mostly because the mids are pushed forward and most everything else is flat. Add some EarSkinz and you recover some bass due to a stronger seal within your ear. I've tried some truly awful pack in buds and Earpods are amazing in comparison.

To the OP: Don't spend $30 for them though. That's too much Apple Tax for these. I'd recommend looking into the sub $50 Zero Audio Carbo Tenor. The best bang for the buck you'll find as far as headphones are concerned. I'm debating selling my Audio Technica m50x cause I favor these earbuds so much more.

Last edited:

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Unless someone can tell me why I should burn $30 on a new pair of EarPods, I would rather buy a solid pair of earbuds that cost more and would last longer than be exploited by Apple's savvy planned obsolescence scheme.

With every pair, I try to keep them in good shape. No frayed wires, proper storage in my pocket, etc. After about 3-4 months though, the left earbud decreases in volume and I have to angle it in my ear to get clearer sound, which is much quieter than when I bought them.

Any suggestions? All of the other cheap headphones and earbuds around my house are just that, cheap.
Other good (cheap) options:
  • AKG Y20-U - $30
  • Brainwavz Delta Silver - $22

Dekema2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
WNY or Utica
Haven't had time to reply, but the ONLY reason I use the EarPods is because of the ergonomics. I can drop my phone and the earbuds will stay in.

Having said that I would drop them for something better if they can stay in my ear.

AlphaHumanus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2012
The EarPods are not awful for bundled earphones. But there are much better options for the same price when it comes to replacing them.
This.

I use EarPods as my daily drivers. I treat them like crap, and have never broken them. I'm not an audiophile in any way, so that helps I guess.

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London
This.

I use EarPods as my daily drivers. I treat them like crap, and have never broken them. I'm not an audiophile in any way, so that helps I guess.
I use them as my reserve headphones (throw them in my bag, leave a pair on the kitchen table, fall asleep wearing them etc). I break a pair every now and then, but they seem to breed in our house so I've never had to buy them outright.

WiseAJ

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2009
PDX
Weird, I was using the same pair that came with my iPhone 5 back when it came out up until I got my 7 Plus. I still use them with my laptop occasionally until the AirPods come out.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
4 years!!! For me it was 4 seconds. Just looking at those things make my ears hurt. Every time I get an iPhone I leave the headphones and puny charger in the box.

VicTheBerg

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2012
I probably went through about 5 in 2 years, plus countless more expensive brands (ok, probably about 5 more).

Am I the only one who can never keep my headphones alive for more than a few weeks/months? Being a constant user of the headphones (basically always connected to my phone which is in my front pocket) they always start messing up at the connection to the 3,5 mm plug.

Going wireless was the best thing I ever did. Sure, you pay more for a "just ok" audio experience. But I haven't had to buy a new pair of headphones in over a year, which to me is basically an eternity. And a helluva lot cheaper...
Nowadays I pretty much only use the EarPods when going to sleep listening to a podcast.

Dekema2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
WNY or Utica
The solution has been found.

58528_35e327b78c020b8557f39f26d1d86acad0140b34.png

Just brush it on the grille and it will capture a wax film that paper towels, toilet paper, tissues, napkins, etc cannot clean. I am in a state of shock!

ibookg409

Suspended
Apr 20, 2016
Portsmouth, NH
You don't have to go to Detroit to know that it smells.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.