Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nifty_nigel10

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2004
hey, i thot id search limewire for os x tiger for fun, to my surprise there was a result, a .dmg file, but it was only 4-5mb or so, anyone know what it actually is, just search "Mac OS X Tiger" obviously, but try it and see if it appears for anyone, and does anyone know what this misterious file is?? :eek:

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Well, it's not Tiger.

I'd be very wary of running any .dmg file I downloaded from a non-trusted source, no matter what it was called. Suppose it was 273MB? Would that make it more likely you'd run it? I mean, hey, you're free to run whatever you want, but assume it'll wipe your disk after emailing your account info to Russia. If that's an acceptible risk, download it and see.

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
I found an MP3 file from 'questionable source' and it was weird.

I downloaded it, then tried to delete it, then it say so-and-so can't be deleted, so I did a secure empty trash on it, and got rid of it.

I think it's some kinda virus or trojan.

If anybody wants to examin at the file, I can send it to you if you want.... it's in an encrypted .dmg file.

nifty_nigel10

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2004
"Well, it's not Tiger."

i know its obviously not tiger (not meaning to sound rude) but i was just curious as to what it was!

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
nifty_nigel10 said:
hey, i thot id search limewire for os x tiger for fun, to my surprise there was a result, a .dmg file, but it was only 4-5mb or so, anyone know what it actually is, just search "Mac OS X Tiger" obviously, but try it and see if it appears for anyone, and does anyone know what this misterious file is?? :eek:

if you didn't have newbie under your name I wouldn't be able to tell :rolleyes:

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
nifty_nigel10 said:
"Well, it's not Tiger."

i know its obviously not tiger (not meaning to sound rude) but i was just curious as to what it was!

OK. We all agree it isn't Tiger. We also know it's on LimeWire, where anyone can put anything and call it whatever they want. And we know it isn't very big, so it's likely not anything all that useful.

It is very unlikely that it is anything that you'd want. So why bother figuring out what it is? Download it and install it if you'd like. But, like I said, be prepared for nasty consequences of installing unknown software, possibly with superuser access (if it asks for your admin password during the install) on your system, just to see if something Tiger-like shows up.

spikymohawks

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2004
seattle
...Funny, I put that file on the p2p world

Hey, sorry for the mistake it was essentially pictures i had gotten from my dads computer (apple employee) im only 15 yrs old and thaught it would be cool to show some mac users there future. I compressed it into a dmg file but when i saw this forum i tryed it and it didnt work. I learned my lesson and next time will test what i put on the p2p world. as everybody should do!!
Sorry
XANDER

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
spikymohawks said:
Hey, sorry for the mistake it was essentially pictures i had gotten from my dads computer (apple employee) im only 15 yrs old and thaught it would be cool to show some mac users there future. I compressed it into a dmg file but when i saw this forum i tryed it and it didnt work. I learned my lesson and next time will test what i put on the p2p world. as everybody should do!!
Sorry
XANDER

so your Dad works for Apple and you got some pics from his compy? hhmmm... that could get people in trouble you know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.