Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kvic

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
OK. I have a workaround already.

After researching and testing for weeks.
I confirmed that A1708 will never get battery saving when entering standby.
Neither SsdPmEnable nor NVMeFix helps it. Changing Adaptor also does not help. the cause is MacBook has specific driver for only its genuine SSD.

So I disable standby completely and use traditional hibernate instead, the same hibernate mode as in Windows OS.

Here is what I made to pmset.

autopoweroff 0
standby 0
hibernatemode 25
displaysleep 2
sleep 10

When my MacBook is in on Battery.
If close the lid, MacBook will wait for a while and enter hibernate.
Or if leave MacBook idle for 2 minutes, Macbook will turn of display and wait for another 8 minutes and enter hibernate.

In hibernate mode, to wakeup MacBook, I have to press power button or open the lid.
And have to wait for about 5- 10 seconds for system to be ready.
That is the trade off but it is very acceptable.

Also in this hibernate mode, it does not consume battery at all. So I am now satisfied.

'hibernatemode 25' is not recommended. One of the reasons you've seen already is that wake up takes 'extra-ordinarily' long time. In your case 5-10 seconds. Restore your 'pmset' settings to Apple defaults and then follow these instructions (and explanation) to reduce battery drain during 'sleep': 1. How to reduce battery drain during sleep?

Seems you've tried my ssdpmEnabler kext. Or anyone in this thread who tried or will try. Does ssdpmEnabler help to reduce battery drain when you're Mac at idle? If not, tell me your model ID (like MacBookAirXY,Z), I could try to make it work on these machines.

wander758

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2021
USA
Hi, guys I'm new here and I've tried to read whole discussion but its too much for me so... anyways I bought ssd adapter for my Macbook Pro 2017 A1708 and samsung PM991 NVMe. Everything works fine, but after installing (or more like trying to install MacOs) macbook restarts showing Kernel Panic Error and all progress is lost. I've tried hard reseting, using different drive, formating drives to different formats, installing Big Sur and Catalina, even cloning system from original drive to> external drive to> new samsung, but I always end up with the same error. Its probably drive thats some what faulty but maybe some of you have other suggestions.
I have the same issue. Found out that Samsung PM991 and PM981 are incompatible due to a firmware issue. But I still don't know whether it's possible to update it somehow.

TheEngineJ

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2020
'hibernatemode 25' is not recommended. One of the reasons you've seen already is that wake up takes 'extra-ordinarily' long time. In your case 5-10 seconds. Restore your 'pmset' settings to Apple defaults and then follow these instructions (and explanation) to reduce battery drain during 'sleep': 1. How to reduce battery drain during sleep?

Seems you've tried my ssdpmEnabler kext. Or anyone in this thread who tried or will try. Does ssdpmEnabler help to reduce battery drain when you're Mac at idle? If not, tell me your model ID (like MacBookAirXY,Z), I could try to make it work on these machines.
I tried your kext, but could not detect any improvements really (at idle and lid closed). Model is MacBookPro14,1

kvic

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
I tried your kext, but could not detect any improvements really (at idle and lid closed). Model is MacBookPro14,1

My preliminary study of MBP14,1 shows it should work. Do you see the output described in the Guide?

What's your OS version? What's your SSD model?

Have you installed any other 3rd-party kext?

Last edited:

TheEngineJ

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2020
My preliminary study of MBP14,1 shows it should work. Do you see the output described in the Guide?

What's your OS version? What's your SSD model?

Have you installed any other 3rd-party kext?
Yes, the output is there, so the kext is working. I am on 11.4 Big Sur. The only kext I installed is SsdPmEnabler.

Now, I restored pmset to its defaults and followed your wiki. Lets see how it goes.

Now, I restored pmset to its defaults and followed your wiki. Lets see how it goes.

edit:
I am using the Sabrent Rocket Nano 512GB Ssd and the ngff adapter.

Last edited:

Hockeydude1

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2021

Attachments

• 3B90A549-A4F3-4D60-8267-CBFEDC76EA98.png
    3B90A549-A4F3-4D60-8267-CBFEDC76EA98.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 161
  • DEA8C6F9-BFC6-4576-B4C8-7D00754D1B9F.png
    DEA8C6F9-BFC6-4576-B4C8-7D00754D1B9F.png
    963.6 KB · Views: 160

TheEngineJ

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2020
Yes, the output is there, so the kext is working. I am on 11.4 Big Sur. The only kext I installed is SsdPmEnabler.

edit:
I am using the Sabrent Rocket Nano 512GB Ssd and the ngff adapter.
Okay, I tested this config for some time now. I have two observations:

First, if the lid is not closed, battery life is good, just es expected.
Second, if the lid is closed, aka standby, the battery is drained rather quickly (25% over night).

kvic

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
Okay, I tested this config for some time now. I have two observations:

First, if the lid is not closed, battery life is good, just es expected.
Second, if the lid is closed, aka standby, the battery is drained rather quickly (25% over night).

Good to hear. So ssdpmEnabler works on MBP14,1. If you could use iStat Menus (14-day free trial) to measure the idle current (SSD 3.3V or similar legend) before and after installing ssdpmEnabler, you'll see the effect immediately ? like in this post.

Regarding standby issue, 25% is a bit weird. It should be about 2% at most with my suggested setting. 25% indicates your machine cannot enter standby/sleep at all. It's still awake with lid closed. I would try to debug with checking your WiFi/Bluetooth peripherals or looking for some poorly written background apps that prevent your Mac from sleep/standby. It is a tedious process with no guarantee of finding the culprit with inexperienced eyes. Good luck.

conanchihieu

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2021
Hanoi, Vietnam
Hi everyone,
I am a new member of this forum, and I want to share some experience with my custom SSD.

After some days testing I'm very satisfied with my setup.

I ordered an NFHK N-1708A adapter along with a KIOXIA BG4 2230 NVMe 256GB SSD. Here is my build:

IMG_20210815_224606.jpg

On first boot, without any OS installed, the Mac booted straight into Internet Recovery mode.

IMG_20210815_231532.jpg

From there I clean installed macOS High Sierra, and the installation finished without issue. Then I updated to macOS Catalina 10.15.7 using a pre-downloaded iso file. After that I decided to split the drive into 2x128GB partitions and install Boot Camp. Everything went perfectly.

Here are the full specs of the drive in System Reports:

IMG_20210816_002807.jpg

I found a small thermal pad from a dead smartphone board and taped it on top of the SSD just in case. The drive temp just fluctuates around 40 degree.

IMG_20210815_230212.jpg

AC/non-AC boot works without issues. So does sleep/wake. More interestingly, there is no significant battery drain when I leave the MacBook on sleep overnight (around 2%/8 hours sleep).

Here is the read/write speed test of the SSD, using CrystalDiskMark.

IMG-2146.jpg

Overall, I think this is a perfect combination. I will update further when I find any issues related to this custom SSD.

===========

UPDATE 1: I've recently downloaded iStats and figured out the SSD power usage. However, for some reason, I couldn't change the unit from Watt to mA. During idle the SSD constantly took up 0.3W of power. I installed NVMEFix and the readings fell to just around 0.02W! I think the NVMEFix kext really helps and I can confirm that the kext has been loaded into the system. (From 18:38-18:44 the SSD run without NVMEFix and from 18:45 the SSD run with the kext loaded)

Screen Shot 2021-08-19 at 18.51.47.png

Stay safe, everyone!

Last edited:

josuku

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2020
Hi @kvic

I have installed SsdPmEnabler on my Macbook 14,1. I can confirm it is correctly installed with the log command, but results seem to be the same as without kext installed. Last part of the graph (from 17:22) is when kext is loaded.

I also have a Sabrent Rocket Nano 512GB Ssd with the NGFF adapter.
Captura de pantalla 2021-09-09 a las 17.28.01.png

EDIT: After that, I tried to install Lilu 1.5.6 and NVMEfix 1.0.9 kexts the same way, copying them in /Library/Extensions both .kext and .dysm files, but after restarting MacOS won't start again. I had to go to recovery, disable SIP and then delete the files. How do you install NVMEfix??

EDIT2: After 3 hours with SsdPmEnabler battery drained about 10%, I think that more or less the same as without the kext

Best regards

Last edited:

kvic

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
I have installed SsdPmEnabler on my Macbook 14,1. I can confirm it is correctly installed with the log command, but results seem to be the same as without kext installed. Last part of the graph (from 17:22) is when kext is loaded.

Good to see an iStat screenshot. First time seeing how it goes on MacBookPro14,1, and trying to understand what ppl meant by not seeing any difference in power consumption. If ppl had provided one earlier, we might have resolved the puzzle sooner.

SSD 3.3V + SSD Memory = 0.1W from your screenshot. Did you see the same power consumption at idle before installing ssdpmEnabler?

0.1W translates into about 0.03A. Idle current is usually what reporterd in older Mac laptops and what we dealt with in the other mega thread about SSDs. And 0.03A at idle is pretty good to begin with already.

One possible explanation: for these newer Mac's, 3rd party SSDs compatibility is better than older Mac's.

Cheers

Reactions: josuku

luryxyt

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2021
Hi, i upgrade my ssd to WD sn530, and now i have problem. Sometimes when my mac is in hibernation (mostly overnight) my mac crash and on screen i have question mark Error. Anyone know why?

Error:

I have newest bootROM. clean NVRAM, SMC doesn't work.

bigtwisteronjupiter

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2021
Did anyone try to install MacOS 11.17 ?
it is impossible for me to install it with the third party ssd. it will start the process, install, restart, but dump me back into 11.6 Big Sur. (I have restart issues with the ssd. sometimes it fail to restart, and sometimes it restarts but boot back up with errors messages)

bttdn

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2021
Hi,

I going to order an SSD now, and I can choose from SK Hynix BC511 and BC711 too.
Is there anyone who tried BC711?

Regards

ptfuzi

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2019
Does anyone know if the owc ssd for these macs is any good? I think it's fairly recent

Donhugo

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2020
Did anyone try to install MacOS 11.17 ?
it is impossible for me to install it with the third party ssd. it will start the process, install, restart, but dump me back into 11.6 Big Sur. (I have restart issues with the ssd. sometimes it fail to restart, and sometimes it restarts but boot back up with errors messages)
Same issues for me, but I have upgraded to BigSur 11.6.1 but can't install Monterey. Tried to install 6 or 7 times but at the end of installation, it returns to BigSur.

banzai2k

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2021
Since this forum helped me a lot choosing a good combination I want to send you a report:

Adapter: NHFK (19€)
SSD: Kioxia BG4 1TB 2230 (192€)
MacOS Install: Via Bootpen & Time machine, Erase with GUID Scheme

Screen Shot 2021-10-30 at 08.35.58.png

After Upgrade:
- Cleared all Rams
- Upgraded OS to Monterey
- Installed SsdPmEnabler
- Installed TG Pro for fan control (10€)

Result:
Happy to say that I just left my MBP without power over night and it only lost 6%. There is also no issue with booting while the power chord is plugged in.

Speedtest: 1000MB/S write, 1800 MB/S read. I don't feel any difference to before, but if anyone has a suggestion how to get to the advertised 1700 write and 2250 read let me know.

To be improved:
The only issue was that the fan was running wild. I fixed it by building a new fan curve with the TG Pro software that looks like this:

Screen Shot 2021-10-30 at 08.25.58.png

I never checked temperatures before the upgrade but I feel like fans are needed a little more than before to keep temperatures below 90. Will try adding thermal pads to cool it further. If anyone has advice on this, happy to hear it :)

geisini

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2021
Hello guys,

first and foremost I would love to thank everyone here for having shared their respective information on this somewhat troublesome upgrading procedure.

Since just recently I tried a second approach and now, being really content with it, I want to return the favor.

Everyone thinking about upgrading, I can confirm @banzai2k and @conanchihieu experiences with the NFHK adapter and Kioxia's BG4 SSD.

In February I stumbled upon the possibilty to upgrade the 128 GB of storage on my machine and I bought the adapter with the resistors and a 512 GB Hynix BC511. Upgrading went flawlessly, but I lost 25-30% of battery life over night. It sucked. Installing SsdPmEnabler and NVMeFix made no difference.

Now just last month I read @conanchihieu post and decided to give it a go.
Ebay in Germany offered me the chance to get a 512 GB BG4 SSD by Kioxia for just about 60€. 7€ on Ebay for the V6 NFHK adapter, which took weeks to arrive from China. On Amazon I bought a piece of thermal pad. I switched out the adapters and SSD, installed the thermal pad as shown by @conanchihieu and then performed a clean install of the latest MacOS Big Sur.

Long story short now I am experiencing only 0.5-0.65% battery loss per hour - before it was like 2.5-3%/h. I have not installed any kernel extensions nor did I change my power settings drastically except for the following lines, which are supposed to send the machine to standby earlier.

sudo pmset -a standbydelaylow 1500
sudo pmset -a standbydelayhigh 1500

Now I have to say that on my first try with the other hardware I used Apple's Migration Assistant to get my old data on the new SSD. Now I used the method of a clean install and got some data such as photos, mails and my most important files through iCloud.

So maybe there's some kind of bias here... I can't really say, but I believe this could be a really affordable and well performing solution for most of you others out here.

Just meant to share!
Happy upgrading.
Cheers.

• Love
Reactions: conanchihieu

josuku

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2020
Same issues for me, but I have upgraded to BigSur 11.6.1 but can't install Monterey. Tried to install 6 or 7 times but at the end of installation, it returns to BigSur.

I have just installed a clean install of Mac OS Monterrey, and after several hours installing it, it spend more than 3 minutes to boot up to login screen. I tried several times with the same result.

Before that, I installed Monterrey through update, after several attempts, where it seems to be correctly installed but it rebooted on Big Sur again. To made it working I plugged off the power cord and installed it with battery, remembering people of this thread who had problems powering the Mac with the power cord.

I don't know what to do, if revert the installation and install Big Sur again or wait for and Apple update who solves the problem (maybe some months...? or never...?)

josuku

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2020
after resetting NVRAM it seems to improve startup time on Monterrey. Now it spends about 30 seconds instead of more than 3 minutes ?

klemcg

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2021
Hello guys,

first and foremost I would love to thank everyone here for having shared their respective information on this somewhat troublesome upgrading procedure.

Since just recently I tried a second approach and now, being really content with it, I want to return the favor.

Everyone thinking about upgrading, I can confirm @banzai2k and @conanchihieu experiences with the NFHK adapter and Kioxia's BG4 SSD.

In February I stumbled upon the possibilty to upgrade the 128 GB of storage on my machine and I bought the adapter with the resistors and a 512 GB Hynix BC511. Upgrading went flawlessly, but I lost 25-30% of battery life over night. It sucked. Installing SsdPmEnabler and NVMeFix made no difference.

Now just last month I read @conanchihieu post and decided to give it a go.
Ebay in Germany offered me the chance to get a 512 GB BG4 SSD by Kioxia for just about 60€. 7€ on Ebay for the V6 NFHK adapter, which took weeks to arrive from China. On Amazon I bought a piece of thermal pad. I switched out the adapters and SSD, installed the thermal pad as shown by @conanchihieu and then performed a clean install of the latest MacOS Big Sur.

Long story short now I am experiencing only 0.5-0.65% battery loss per hour - before it was like 2.5-3%/h. I have not installed any kernel extensions nor did I change my power settings drastically except for the following lines, which are supposed to send the machine to standby earlier.

sudo pmset -a standbydelaylow 1500
sudo pmset -a standbydelayhigh 1500

Now I have to say that on my first try with the other hardware I used Apple's Migration Assistant to get my old data on the new SSD. Now I used the method of a clean install and got some data such as photos, mails and my most important files through iCloud.

So maybe there's some kind of bias here... I can't really say, but I believe this could be a really affordable and well performing solution for most of you others out here.

Just meant to share!
Happy upgrading.
Cheers.
Hi,
Thanks for report. I am interested in this solution, but also careful - I don't want to have any issues or shortcomings. What was the battery loss with original SSD? How about fans?

geisini

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2021
Hi,
Thanks for report. I am interested in this solution, but also careful - I don't want to have any issues or shortcomings. What was the battery loss with original SSD? How about fans?
I don't recall, as I never paid attention to it that closely before. I just noticed that after my first try it drained really quickly in standby mode. Now, with the KIOXIA SSD and the other adapter it seems to be working just normally... It's been a while now working with the new setup and even after having kept my macOS Big Sur up to date I can't report any negative developments. I haven't had the balls yet though to upgrade to Monterey...
Fans were never a problem, but remember... I installed a thermal pad.

klemcg

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2021
I don't recall, as I never paid attention to it that closely before. I just noticed that after my first try it drained really quickly in standby mode. Now, with the KIOXIA SSD and the other adapter it seems to be working just normally... It's been a while now working with the new setup and even after having kept my macOS Big Sur up to date I can't report any negative developments. I haven't had the balls yet though to upgrade to Monterey...
Fans were never a problem, but remember... I installed a thermal pad.
Thanks. How thick should thermal pad be? How much space is there? I see thermal pads range from 1/2 to 2 mm in thickness. Why not Monterey?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.