Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Seems like a great idea for a thread!

I love using my fountain pens and different inks, makes writing so much more enjoyable, especially when you're taking about ten sides of A4 notes a day.

Currently, I'm using my TWSBI Diamond 580 (Diamine Asa Blue), Parker 51 (Diamine Majestic Blue), Parker Sonnet (Diamine Asa Blue), Parker Urban (Parker Quink Washable Black) and a Jinhao 159 (Sheaffer Turquoise).

Pens I'd like to one day own include a Lamy 2000, Visconti Homo Sapiens, Pilot Capless (Vanishing Point), modern Parker Duofold and Montblanc 146. Alas, these are quite a long way off as all are way out of my budget, but I'm very happy with what I have at the moment. The Sonnet, P51 and TWSBI especially are a joy to write with.

Here's my collection:

itl5xWz.jpg

fanta88

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2015
Of course! Sorry about that.

From L to R

Waterman (I forget the exact model)
Montblanc Charles Dickens
Parker Sonnet
Montblanc Franz Kafka
Montblanc 149
Parker Duofold Centennial
Namiki Vanishing Point

Oh, all nibs are F.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

From L to R

Parker Sonnet
Montblanc Franz Kafka
Montblanc 149
Namiki Vanishing Point

Oh, all nibs are F.

Thank you very much. Very nice indeed.

Actually, I had that Waterman pen around a decade or so ago. Lovely pen.

What are the Writers' collection Mont Blancs like to write with? What size are they?

MechaSpanky

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
After seeing this thread I had to chime in, fountain pens are wonderful. I have always been interested in stationery products because I like to draw but there just aren't all that many good stationery shops where I'm from. Yes there are a few, but they are nothing like what I found when I moved to Japan. Japanese stationery shops are incredible. They have a huge assortment of things and the service is some of the best in the world, even if you are buying a cheap pencil. It seems that Japanese people like fountain pens, and stationery products in general, more than western people. If you are ever in Japan, go to a stationery store and you will be amazed!

Last month I popped into a "recycle shop" (which is like a thrift store or a 2nd hand shop) here in Japan and I picked up an old Parker fountain pen, ball point pen, mechanical pencil set for almost nothing. They were made in the 1960's or early 1970's. The fountain pen came with some old extra ink cartridges and to my surprise, it still worked (once I had cleaned the nib). Amazing that a pen that old would still work (and the ball point pen also still worked) and even more amazing is the ink in the old cartridges still worked perfectly. The pens were all made in the USA (now Parkers are made in France or the UK I believe).

fanta88

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2015
Thank you very much. Very nice indeed.

Actually, I had that Waterman pen around a decade or so ago. Lovely pen.

What are the Writers' collection Mont Blancs like to write with? What size are they?

I'm not sure there's a uniform size because the pens have different shapes/designs, but if I had to guess I'd say 147.

They all have varying weights and that affects the feel (at least for me). Both the Dickens and Kafka have a nice flow to them, but I prefer the weight distribution of the Kafka oddly enough, at least for long periods of writing. The 149 is a wonderful pen (it belonged to my mom), but it's rather unwieldy. Definitely a pen for signing important things, less for engaged writing IMHO.

The line of the 149 is the smoothest, however.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

CooperBox

macrumors 68000

This is a dream thread for me as a pen collector. The pen on the far right - the Namiki Vanishing Point - is imho one of the most under-estimated (and probably unknown) pen around. I have two, and cherish them.
Now I'm motivated to get my camera out, have a photo shoot, and show you some of mine.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
This is a dream thread for me as a pen collector. The pen on the far right - the Namiki Vanishing Point - is imho one of the most under-estimated (and probably unknown) pen around. I have two, and cherish them.
Now I'm motivated to get my camera out, have a photo shoot, and show you some of mine.

Please do so; a fountain pen thread is long overdue.

Actually, I'm finding that it is extremely enjoyable to read and great fun to participate in.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
In France today school kids from a very early age are taught to write correctly using a fountain pen. This continues through college to graduation. My son (now in his mid 30's) learned this way, and still gets great enjoyment in using one regularly.
It's not unusual for me to occasionally get a pen as a birthday or Christmas present, which helps to add to my collection.
And if you should get the chance to visit France, take a stroll through any large supermarket, and you can always see a wide range of fountain pens for children.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
In France today school kids from a very early age are taught to write correctly using a fountain pen. This continues through college to graduation. My son (now in his mid 30's) learned this way, and still gets great enjoyment in using one regularly.
It's not unusual for me to occasionally get a pen as a birthday or Christmas present, which helps to add to my collection.
And if you should get the chance to visit France, take a stroll through any large supermarket, and you can always see a wide range of fountain pens for children.

What a civilised way to teach children to write. I can only applaud.

As a small child, I was taught to write with a fountain pen, as well, a habit I retained until I was a teenager, and then resumed towards the end of my time at second level.

b0fh666

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
south
I like them, still have some at home but as they tend to leak in airplanes and make a mess i gave up on them. not that i had write much these days anyway... kinda sad.

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
I like them, still have some at home but as they tend to leak in airplanes and make a mess i gave up on them. not that i had write much these days anyway... kinda sad.

Not surprisingly, the reason they can leak is due to the change in cabin pressure. But it can be prevented. If you don't intend to use it in-flight the obvious & simplest way is to ensure it's empty and/or remove the cartridge. For use in flight, always ensure that the pen is full and that no air is present in the converter, or that the cartridge is new and full. In this case carry it with the nib uppermost.
[doublepost=1453649459][/doublepost]Here are two fountain pens for school-kids, found recently in a large supermarket. The Bugs Bunny is manufactured by Parker and comes with 2 year guarantee. The other by Maped, made in France. These would have been about $8 and $5 respectively. I picked them up at a thrift store, unopened in original packaging for $2 each.

P1080631a.jpg

P1080629a.jpg

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Not surprisingly, the reason they can leak is due to the change in cabin pressure. But it can be prevented. If you don't intend to use it in-flight the obvious & simplest way is to ensure it's empty and/or remove the cartridge. For use in flight, always ensure that the pen is full and that no air is present in the converter, or that the cartridge is new and full. In this case carry it with the nib uppermost.
[doublepost=1453649459][/doublepost]Here are two fountain pens for school-kids, found recently in a large supermarket. The Bugs Bunny is manufactured by Parker and comes with 2 year guarantee. The other by Maped, made in France. These would have been about $8 and $5 respectively. I picked them up at a thrift store, unopened in original packaging for $2 each.

View attachment 612173

View attachment 612174

Agreed, and good advice. When flying, - and I always fly with a fountain pen or two - I always fly with either an empty or a full cartridge.

fanta88

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2015

I agree about the Vanishing Point. It's so much fun to write with it and I've never had a problem with mine (no clogs, etc). Whenever a friend expresses an interest in trying a fountain pen for writing, I tell them to pick up a Vanishing Point instead of, say, a Montblanc. Unless of course they just want the pen as an object.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I agree about the Vanishing Point. It's so much fun to write with it and I've never had a problem with mine (no clogs, etc). Whenever a friend expresses an interest in trying a fountain pen for writing, I tell them to pick up a Vanishing Point instead of, say, a Montblanc. Unless of course they just want the pen as an object.

To be honest, I think the smaller Mont Blancs write beautifully - and are very comfortable in the hand.

However, the large, massive, macho ones, are, I tend to agree, probably intended as something of a statement.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
There are fountain pens that have no problem with different air pressures (read: when flying). A lot of the vacuum fillers are capable of this (you can close off the reservoir, usually these are the ones where you have to twist the knob a little before you can even write) and some of the ordinary fountain pens too such as the Waterman Edson (the downside to these: they are a little harder to fill and clean).

The Vanishing Point is a nice one to have but from my experience there are better ones. Push cap ones are just as quick but a lot easier to maintain and hold far more ink. There will be a build up of ink near the trap door in those clicky/twisty pens which is really hard to get out. You might get it out if you soak them but that's not very good for the finish on the pen (using distilled water is better).

Don't underestimate pen sizes and thickness. A thicker pen is easier to hold and for those with large hands a large pen is also much easier to handle. A pen can be too small and too thin. When writing small notes you probably won't notice the difference that much but you will when you do more writing. Having a proper sized pen helps a lot in reducing fatigue. So no, those large pens are not really about making a statement. If you want to make a statement you get a pen that people will notice. Something like the Montegrappa Chaos from Sylvester Stalone (being a shareholder helps when you want to design your own pen) or something with really bright colours (the Lamy Safari comes to mind and Omas pens with their translucent fluorescent resin).

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
There are fountain pens that have no problem with different air pressures (read: when flying). A lot of the vacuum fillers are capable of this (you can close off the reservoir, usually these are the ones where you have to twist the knob a little before you can even write) and some of the ordinary fountain pens too such as the Waterman Edson (the downside to these: they are a little harder to fill and clean).

The Vanishing Point is a nice one to have but from my experience there are better ones. Push cap ones are just as quick but a lot easier to maintain and hold far more ink. There will be a build up of ink near the trap door in those clicky/twisty pens which is really hard to get out. You might get it out if you soak them but that's not very good for the finish on the pen (using distilled water is better).

Don't underestimate pen sizes and thickness. A thicker pen is easier to hold and for those with large hands a large pen is also much easier to handle. A pen can be too small and too thin. When writing small notes you probably won't notice the difference that much but you will when you do more writing. Having a proper sized pen helps a lot in reducing fatigue. So no, those large pens are not really about making a statement. If you want to make a statement you get a pen that people will notice. Something like the Montegrappa Chaos from Sylvester Stalone (being a shareholder helps when you want to design your own pen) or something with really bright colours (the Lamy Safari comes to mind and Omas pens with their translucent fluorescent resin).

Some of this may come down to a desire to make a statement - there are individuals who use fountain pens for nothing more than writing their names, and I have been in settings where powerful and influential individuals certainly saw possession of a large, heavy, fountain pen as a sort of status symbol.

Having said that, for comfort in writing, I would imagine that the size of the pen would be contingent upon the size of your hand. I have small hands, thus, a small and well balanced pen is what works best for me. Needless to say, someone with large hands would clearly find it easier and more comfortable to write with a large pen.

sk1wbw

Suspended
Original poster
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia

From L to R

Parker Sonnet
Montblanc Franz Kafka
Montblanc 149
Namiki Vanishing Point

Oh, all nibs are F.

Okay, convince me of the Duofold Centennial. I really really like this but I've never had a Parker before.

cdcastillo

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
The cesspit of civilization
... the Edgar Allan Poe Mont Blanc ... What size is it on the Mont Blanc scale, a 146, or 149?...

Sorry, I really had no idea such a thing as a MontBlanc scale existed. :confused:

I will try to find out.

... Enjoy both of your beautiful pens. (As well as the Daniel Defoe Mont Blanc postscript pen..)

Thank you, I keep them on rotation on my pocket.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Sorry, I really had no idea such a thing as a MontBlanc scale existed. :confused:

I will try to find out.

Thank you, I keep them on rotation on my pocket.

To be honest, I hadn't either, until I bought a Mont Blanc, and discovered that the one I was most comfortable using was not widely available as it is one of the smaller sizes.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
Some of this may come down to a desire to make a statement - there are individuals who use fountain pens for nothing more than writing their names, and I have been in settings where powerful and influential individuals certainly saw possession of a large, heavy, fountain pen as a sort of status symbol.
The fact that some people think that a certain object increases their status/makes a statement still doesn't have anything to do with the object, it's purely a psychological thing. Or to put it differently: it's all between the ears. This has got absolutely nothing to do with the object and its design at all.

Pens are designed to be used for writing, even the fancy and very expensive ones. They are not designed to make a statement, merely designed to look nice (which is very subjective). I for one find the Montblanc 146 and 149 to be very boring, I'm more a fan of the Starwalker (have one) and M (the one that is based on the Starwalker nib, feed and section and that is designed my Mark Newson). You can get much nicer pens for the same money from other manufacturers.

@above: the Montblanc 146 and its larger sibling, the 149, are pens a lot of people know/buy. It's more like a de facto standard. That's why these are used a lot in comparisons, especially when size matters (146 being a normal sized pen and the 149 being the oversized version).

MarcoCapa

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2013
fountain pen user and stationery enthusiast here!
When do you use your equipment? with iPad pro and Pencil I use those fantastic pen less and less
I love montblanc and own 4 of them... When I find some times I will post some pics of my humble collection

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
Daily. I find it very useful when creating something, doing research or troubleshooting. And obviously note taking during meetings is useful too but I don't do that at home (the others I do).

Reactions: MarcoCapa

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
fountain pen user and stationery enthusiast here!
When do you use your equipment? with iPad pro and Pencil I use those fantastic pen less and less
I love montblanc and own 4 of them... When I find some times I will post some pics of my humble collection

I write about ten sides of A4 a day as we can't take notes electronically at my school. Fountain pens make the whole thing a lot more fun.

On the off chance anyone in the UK is reading this and wants to try one, send me a PM as I've got a couple of less expensive pens I don't use and could give away.

Reactions: MarcoCapa
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.