Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
I LOVE the Lamy 2000. It's a timeless design and Lamy legitimately makes a good product that they stand behind.

About 10 years ago, they redesigned the section to fix the biggest achilles heel that has plagued the pen since it was released in the 1960s-the Makloron section had a tendency to crack. The redesigned one has an all stainless section with a Makloron "insert". Externally, the only difference is that the back(where the fill hole is located) is now solid stainless rather than being plastic set into stainless. The main look of the pen hasn't changed, nor can I detect any difference in overall feel/balance.

Lately I've been enjoying a B, which gushes ink(in a good way) and has a bit of a stub grind so it writes a bit differently than a standard completely round tip(MB B and larger nibs have this same general grind).

For ~$200 the 2000 is a heck of a lot of bang-for-buck IMO and it's often my suggestion for someone looking for a step up from a Lamy Safari or equivalent.

Across the board, Lamy aesthetics are a bit minimalist and that doesn't appeal to some. Still, though, the 2000 has been around for over 50 years for a reason. If you have some BPs, you are familiar with the design of the brand.

One thing I will mention is that the 2000 can take a bit of adjustment since the section doesn't really have an obvious spot to grip like many other pens. The right spot for me to both be comfortable and get the correct angle is up right around the cap "ears". Most of the nib sizes, and especially the B, are a bit less forgiving of angle than a rounded nib, so if initially you have trouble getting it to write smoothly move it around and find the angle you need for it to write well.

Two other things I can think of. First, with the way it's all designed, my experience with a couple of them(and other folks have reported the same) is that filling design often means that the first time it's inked, or if it's cleaned well, the initial start can be really tough, although it should start immediately once you get over that hump. Second is that the ink window is a bit like the gas light on a car. Once you start seeing light through it(held nib down) you're pretty darn close to empty. I get a better measure of ink amount remaining by holding it nib up and seeing how far I have to tilt it to start seeing ink.

Have fun! You've made a great choice.

Well, I received the Lamy today and have had chance to give it a run. It is a lovely instrument and I find it easy to write with. Can I ask you a couple of questions?

I got the extra fine nib and I “think” this is fine but it is a lot finer than I’ve used before. I usually go for medium nib. Are the Lamy nibs exchangeable? I’m not sure if I should stick with the extra fine or return for a medium (is this what you mean by “B” nib?

And how do you know when the pen is full of ink? Do you need to screw and unscrew a couple of times to get the barrel full?

Thanks in advance.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Well, I received the Lamy today and have had chance to give it a run. It is a lovely instrument and I find it easy to write with. Can I ask you a couple of questions?

I got the extra fine nib and I “think” this is fine but it is a lot finer than I’ve used before. I usually go for medium nib. Are the Lamy nibs exchangeable? I’m not sure if I should stick with the extra fine or return for a medium (is this what you mean by “B” nib?

And how do you know when the pen is full of ink? Do you need to screw and unscrew a couple of times to get the barrel full?

Thanks in advance.

Do you like the finer line it lays down? If so, keep it, or if not exchange it. Opinions on Lamy EF nibs are mixed. I have a Safari with one and it's okay(not outstanding) but does write a bit wider than a Japanese EF or even a Mont Blanc EF. On the plus side, EF nibs can be really "scratchy" and I don't detect that in most German EFs.

Lamy nibs are generally easy to change, but unlike the Safari and several other models, where the nibs just pull off, the 2000 requires disassembly. The nib is also different from that used on all other Lamy models, so you can only get one from another 2000.

Most brands give you some time-a couple of weeks usually-to exchange the nib for a different standard size at no charge. If you don't like it, the best thing to do is send it in and get it changed.

By B I mean a "Broad" nib, which is a decent bit larger than a medium. I like it, but they're not necessarily the best choice for note taking or things like that. They can use a lot of ink, and you can end up taking a lot of space on the page. On the other hand, B nibs tend to be very smooth.

Here's a quick comparison for you. I don't have a Lamy F handy, but Pelikan nibs run similarly to Lamys so hopefully that will give you some idea. Of course there's also variation within a manufacturer, and variation from inks, so this is far from a like-for-like comparison. Maybe it will give you some idea, though. Also, this is Rhodia paper, which has become something of a defacto standard for a lot of pen/ink reviews you will find on the internet(it's not necessarily the best out there, but is easy to find, relatively inexpensive, and virtually all pens/inks behave very well on it. Cheap copy paper can give you at least one width or better wider.

IMG_1704.jpg

As for filling-lower the piston completely by twisting the knob all the way out. You can do this submerged in the ink bottle or out of it. With the pen in the ink bottle at least enough to cover the entire feed(or the breather hole on the 2000) twist the piston all the way. Many instruction manuals will then instruct you to lift it out of the bottle, twist the piston back out slightly so that about 3 drops come out of the pen, and then twist the knob back down with the pen out of the bottle.

From there, I usually will "wipe" the section(or top of the nib on pens with a fully exposed nib) on the bottle lip to get rid of the excess and then use a paper towel to clean up the section and any residual ink.

Piston fillers will generally fill completely reliably on one attempt(unless you're dealing with the awful Pilot converter, but that's another story) provided that you have it completely in the ink bottle while filling. Many "sack" fillers(levers, bars, etc) require multiple attempts to get a complete fill, but not so with pistons.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Do you like the finer line it lays down? If so, keep it, or if not exchange it. Opinions on Lamy EF nibs are mixed. I have a Safari with one and it's okay(not outstanding) but does write a bit wider than a Japanese EF or even a Mont Blanc EF. On the plus side, EF nibs can be really "scratchy" and I don't detect that in most German EFs.

Lamy nibs are generally easy to change, but unlike the Safari and several other models, where the nibs just pull off, the 2000 requires disassembly. The nib is also different from that used on all other Lamy models, so you can only get one from another 2000.

Most brands give you some time-a couple of weeks usually-to exchange the nib for a different standard size at no charge. If you don't like it, the best thing to do is send it in and get it changed.

By B I mean a "Broad" nib, which is a decent bit larger than a medium. I like it, but they're not necessarily the best choice for note taking or things like that. They can use a lot of ink, and you can end up taking a lot of space on the page. On the other hand, B nibs tend to be very smooth.

Here's a quick comparison for you. I don't have a Lamy F handy, but Pelikan nibs run similarly to Lamys so hopefully that will give you some idea. Of course there's also variation within a manufacturer, and variation from inks, so this is far from a like-for-like comparison. Maybe it will give you some idea, though. Also, this is Rhodia paper, which has become something of a defacto standard for a lot of pen/ink reviews you will find on the internet(it's not necessarily the best out there, but is easy to find, relatively inexpensive, and virtually all pens/inks behave very well on it. Cheap copy paper can give you at least one width or better wider.

View attachment 1677100

As for filling-lower the piston completely by twisting the knob all the way out. You can do this submerged in the ink bottle or out of it. With the pen in the ink bottle at least enough to cover the entire feed(or the breather hole on the 2000) twist the piston all the way. Many instruction manuals will then instruct you to lift it out of the bottle, twist the piston back out slightly so that about 3 drops come out of the pen, and then twist the knob back down with the pen out of the bottle.

From there, I usually will "wipe" the section(or top of the nib on pens with a fully exposed nib) on the bottle lip to get rid of the excess and then use a paper towel to clean up the section and any residual ink.

Piston fillers will generally fill completely reliably on one attempt(unless you're dealing with the awful Pilot converter, but that's another story) provided that you have it completely in the ink bottle while filling. Many "sack" fillers(levers, bars, etc) require multiple attempts to get a complete fill, but not so with pistons.

Thanks for another excellent and helpful post. I’ve ordered another 2000 (just 1 not 2000! ) with a medium nib and will compare the two. I do like the EF nib but have a feeling I’ll prefer the medium as it’s more to what I’ve used for over 25 years.

Absolutely gorgeous pens though.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Am loving my new Lamy 2000 fountain pen. Keeping the medium nib one and returning the extra fine nib. The medium writes and lot more smoothly and the ink looks a lot blacker on the page. The FN one looks more like pencil and feels scratchy on the page. The FN one was however nice to write in my notepad. It was ideal for writing small notes in margins or underneath passages. I could see this pen being ideal for teachers when marking papers.

But it's the medium nib for me as I use mainly for writing my journal and note taking when working. A lovely pen, feels great in the hand, looks great, nice and stealthy and writes as smooth as butter. I bought the Lamy black ink and love it but am now keen to use other coloured inks, red, blue maybe?...

And thanks to Bunnspecial for all your advice! Cheers.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
But it's the medium nib for me as I use mainly for writing my journal and note taking when working. A lovely pen, feels great in the hand, looks great, nice and stealthy and writes as smooth as butter. I bought the Lamy black ink and love it but am now keen to use other coloured inks, red, blue maybe?...

Sorry, just saw this.

Blue is kind of one of the "classic" fountain pen colors. The downside is that most blues aren't waterproof(in fact an old name for them was "washable blue"). Lamy, Pelikan, Waterman, Montblanc, and the like are all great standard blue inks.

I've mostly sworn off reds because they can crud up pens and seem to never go away completely. If I do use a red now, it's one more toward the maroon end of the spectrum and not a "true" red. I honestly don't like Lamy and Pelikan red very much and really, really don't like Lamy red(Lamy Crystal Ruby is a different story and a great color). Diamine Oxblood is a current favorite of a lot of folks, although it's too brown for my taste.

You might look at blue-blacks, which again are another classic fountain pen color and offer an interesting range of colors from kind of a denim blue to nearly black.

If you want to stick to Lamy brand inks, take a look at the new Crystal line. Azurite is a great every day ink. It's a purple-tinged blue and is an ink with a lot of "depth" for lack of a better term. You also have Benitonite as a blue-black.

I enjoy brown inks. They can be passable for general correspondence/every day use, but are also interesting and something different. MB Toffee Brown is one of my favorites, but there are a lot out there and most ink lines have a brown ink. One of the well-behaved classics that's also inexpensive is Waterman Havanna Brown.

I probably have more green spectrum inks than anything, running the gamut from light, not very saturated green to dark, deep greens. There are a lot of possibilities here, and I hesistate to recommend any one because you have so many options. Again, I find Lamy green fairly uninspiring, but love Crystal Peridot. Pelikan Brilliant Green is a bright and not very saturated green. MB Irish Green is similar. I like good old Sheaffer green as a standard "reference" green. Private Reserve Sherwood Green is a great dark green. Pelikan Edelstein Olivine is a kind of olive color. Our eyes have better green sensitivity than any other color, so we can see subtle differences in a lot of these fairly easily. I tend to use green as a mark-up color in preference to red.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Once again, a few more weeks and a few more pens.

Goulet Pens had some decent sales, so I picked up a few odds and ends. First is a Conklin Crescent Filler. This is a recreation of one of the classic Conklin designs, and is basically a button/sack filling pen just with a rather obvious filler. The collar around the center has a cut-out which is rotated in-line with the crescent, and the crescent can then be pushed in This compresses the ink sack, which can then spring back and suck up ink. I don't know of many sack-filling pens in production, but the basic principle is tried and true and of course is an interesting design.

IMG_1729.jpg

The next is one that often goes head-to-head with the MB 146, and is another classic pen of very similar dimensions. I'm still not sure what I think about it as compared to the 146-even though the overall dimensions are nearly the same it's of course differently shaped and I feel like it's balanced a bit more top-heavy. More than likely, I'm going to send it in in the next few days to swap out to a B nib-I'd have ordered it, but it wasn't in stock at the time. Pelikan will swap nibs for another standard size at no charge within 4 weeks of purchase, so I'm going to do that.

IMG_1728.jpg

The last would be just another iteration of the vintage Montblancs I have bunches of were it not for the nib. I will let this one speak for itself

IMG_1727.jpg

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Nib size or physical size?

Both, actually, although nib size is a matter of personal preference.

I suppose what I really wished to know is the pen size, how it compares - size wise, and comfort and balance in the hand - with the Meisterstuck range.

Secondly, how is this particular model referred to; what is it called?

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Both, actually, although nib size is a matter of personal preference.

I suppose what I really wished to know is the pen size, how it compares - size wise, and comfort and balance in the hand - with the Meisterstuck range.

Secondly, how is this particular model referred to; what is it called?

A couple of things:

This is a model 12. The 12 and 14, both made at the same time and of very similar design, are Meisterstück models(and so marked). That's the name MB has used since at least the 1950s for their top-of-the-line pens, which have model numbers that start with "1". At the time this was made, there was also a 22 and 24, which were the same dimensions as the 12 and 14, respectively, but had less ornate trim(inc. a plain gold cap band rather than the elaborate "Bishops Mitre" on the 12 and 14) and had a 14K nib rather than 18K. The second line pens start their model number with "2". There's also a 3rd line, starting with "3", including several models of the same design as this. The 32, etc, were screw cap(apparently at the time a properly sealing snap cap was more difficult to make, even though I know now premium pens usually are screw cap) and had steel nibs.

These pens have a somewhat different profile from the cigar-shaped 14x line pens. The overall length of the 12 is similar to that of the long-discontinued 142, while the 14 is similar in length to the 144. The 142/12/all the models ending in 2 are considered "standard" size-the most common modern standard sized pen is the Pelikan 200/M400 range(to give some size perspective). The tapered section on these, though, CAN feel a bit larger in-hand that the size would indicate. To me, the 12(and 22) has a diameter where I grip a bit smaller than a modern 145, and the 14(and 24) somewhere between a 145 and 146. Since the finials are flat rather than domed, overall length is a bit shorter than the 145. Tomorrow, I will try to line these up to give an actual idea of size. In the mean time, you can see them in my pen case...left most is a 149, then 146 and 145, followed by 14s and 24s, then 12s and 22s. (also, note the two tortoise shell M400s in the lower left for a "standard size" pen size reference).

IMG_1730.jpg

The 12/14 are made of thicker plastic-sorry, precious resin, and it is the same basic material as is used in modern pens complete with the wine-red "glow" when shining light through it-than the 22/24 and also a bit harder/more glossy feeling. Consequently, they are heavier than the 22/24, and the plastic has a very similar "touch" to the 14x range(if that makes sense). The only metal part in the pen body(excluding the cap, and of course trim) is the nib, which makes them overall lighter than the 14x series pens. The balance is definitely different from any of the above-the brass piston mechanism in the 146 and 149 adds weight up-high, while the brass section threads on the 145 add weight lower down. I'd actually call the overall balance fairly even/neutral.

I hope that makes sense-they are definitely very different pens from the 14x series, but I enjoy writing with them very much. The 12 and 22 are a bit small for me, while the 14 and 24 are very comfortable, although I still prefer the 146.

The nib is what makes this so special, though. This is an Oblique double broad nib. This is still a stock size on new MBs(which I find notable that they even catalog and call them a "standard" size). MB B and BB nibs have a bit of a stubby profile, which gives writing with them a very unique look. The Oblique is cut at a small angle-the left tine is a bit shorter than the right one. My grip falls into writing with this very naturally, but this is a very subjective thing.

In any case, a stub nib will normally give taller vertical strokes than horizontal. An oblique nib will generally give its widest stroke on the diagonal. On an MB nib oblique B or BB, when you combine them together and hold the nib at the correct angle, you get wide horizontal strokes and narrow vertical. Normally, this effect is seen on what's called an "architect" nib, which is ground like a reverse stub, and is notoriously difficult to use. The MB OB and OBB nibs write like an Architect nib, but are as easy to use(if not easier) than a stub. That makes it a really special, and I'd say almost magical grind.

I have another on the way-a 24 with an OB nib. I'm looking forward to it having the same general character, but being a bit less "big" than this one. These 12s and 14s are in general fairly inexpensive, but the oblique grinds, in particular the OB and OBB, push the price up.

• Love

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
A couple of things:

This is a model 12. The 12 and 14, both made at the same time and of very similar design, are Meisterstück models(and so marked). That's the name MB has used since at least the 1950s for their top-of-the-line pens, which have model numbers that start with "1". At the time this was made, there was also a 22 and 24, which were the same dimensions as the 12 and 14, respectively, but had less ornate trim(inc. a plain gold cap band rather than the elaborate "Bishops Mitre" on the 12 and 14) and had a 14K nib rather than 18K. The second line pens start their model number with "2". There's also a 3rd line, starting with "3", including several models of the same design as this. The 32, etc, were screw cap(apparently at the time a properly sealing snap cap was more difficult to make, even though I know now premium pens usually are screw cap) and had steel nibs.

These pens have a somewhat different profile from the cigar-shaped 14x line pens. The overall length of the 12 is similar to that of the long-discontinued 142, while the 14 is similar in length to the 144. The 142/12/all the models ending in 2 are considered "standard" size-the most common modern standard sized pen is the Pelikan 200/M400 range(to give some size perspective). The tapered section on these, though, CAN feel a bit larger in-hand that the size would indicate. To me, the 12(and 22) has a diameter where I grip a bit smaller than a modern 145, and the 14(and 24) somewhere between a 145 and 146. Since the finials are flat rather than domed, overall length is a bit shorter than the 145. Tomorrow, I will try to line these up to give an actual idea of size. In the mean time, you can see them in my pen case...left most is a 149, then 146 and 145, followed by 14s and 24s, then 12s and 22s. (also, note the two tortoise shell M400s in the lower left for a "standard size" pen size reference).

View attachment 1686233

The 12/14 are made of thicker plastic-sorry, precious resin, and it is the same basic material as is used in modern pens complete with the wine-red "glow" when shining light through it-than the 22/24 and also a bit harder/more glossy feeling. Consequently, they are heavier than the 22/24, and the plastic has a very similar "touch" to the 14x range(if that makes sense). The only metal part in the pen body(excluding the cap, and of course trim) is the nib, which makes them overall lighter than the 14x series pens. The balance is definitely different from any of the above-the brass piston mechanism in the 146 and 149 adds weight up-high, while the brass section threads on the 145 add weight lower down. I'd actually call the overall balance fairly even/neutral.

I hope that makes sense-they are definitely very different pens from the 14x series, but I enjoy writing with them very much. The 12 and 22 are a bit small for me, while the 14 and 24 are very comfortable, although I still prefer the 146.

The nib is what makes this so special, though. This is an Oblique double broad nib. This is still a stock size on new MBs(which I find notable that they even catalog and call them a "standard" size). MB B and BB nibs have a bit of a stubby profile, which gives writing with them a very unique look. The Oblique is cut at a small angle-the left tine is a bit shorter than the right one. My grip falls into writing with this very naturally, but this is a very subjective thing.

In any case, a stub nib will normally give taller vertical strokes than horizontal. An oblique nib will generally give its widest stroke on the diagonal. On an MB nib oblique B or BB, when you combine them together and hold the nib at the correct angle, you get wide horizontal strokes and narrow vertical. Normally, this effect is seen on what's called an "architect" nib, which is ground like a reverse stub, and is notoriously difficult to use. The MB OB and OBB nibs write like an Architect nib, but are as easy to use(if not easier) than a stub. That makes it a really special, and I'd say almost magical grind.

I have another on the way-a 24 with an OB nib. I'm looking forward to it having the same general character, but being a bit less "big" than this one. These 12s and 14s are in general fairly inexpensive, but the oblique grinds, in particular the OB and OBB, push the price up.

Terrific post, and many thanks for taking the time and trouble to pen it and put it together.

As I am a woman, with quite small hands, my Meisterstuck Mont Blanc 144 is the pen I am by far the most comfortable with, as it strikes that sweet spot of offering both perfect balance and heft, and when I write with it, my wrist never tires, while the pen itself seems to be almost an extension of my hand.

I have a 145, which is okay, - actually, a lovely pen, a little large, but I prefer the 144, while the 146 is too large for me to hold comfortably for any appreciable length of time.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Terrific post, and many thanks for taking the time and trouble to pen it and put it together.

As I am a woman, with quite small hands, my Meisterstuck Mont Blanc 144 is the pen I am by far the most comfortable with, as it strikes that sweet spot of offering both perfect balance and heft, and when I write with it, my wrist never tires, while the pen itself seems to be almost an extension of my hand.

I have a 145, which is okay, - actually, a lovely pen, a little large, but I prefer the 144, while the 146 is too large for me to hold comfortably for any appreciable length of time.

I remember us discussing relative sizes, and you stating your preference for the 144. Truth be told, I don't have one. I have been shopping a bit for a vintage 144 piston filler, as well as a 142 to round out my 14x series Meisterstück set.

Before buying a 142, however, I am awaiting the arrival of another pen from the same seller(in Greece) that sold me the above 12 OBB. It is a 3-42g, which, per convention, is a 3rd line pen in "standard" size. The "g" stands for gold nib. This particular pen I purchased is fitted with a factory semi-flex nib that will flex from F to B. It will be my first vintage flex pen-the only others I have are the modern Noodler's offerings which flex roughly F to BBB, but I find less than satisfactory because of the amount of pressure required to flex them(which is tiring, tends to make the line variation rather abrupt, and can also dig in/damage the surface of many papers). My experience with that pen, which is the same size as a vintage 142, will determine if I actually would write with a nicer pen of that size.

I should also add that one thing I really appreciate about the vintage pens is that in a given series, truly the ONLY difference in the different models is the size. In the modern Meisterstück line-up, the 145 is a cartridge/converter pen with a 14K nib, the 146 is a bit more ornately trimmed and and is a piston filler, and the 149 has an 18K nib(in the current version) plus more trim still. By contrast, the 14 is really just a larger version of the 12, and only a "calibrated eye" or looking at them next to each other can reliably distinguish the two models. I know you and I have discussed the relative merits of cartridge vs. piston fillers, and we have different preferences, but Montblanc has decided now that if you want a cartridge pen you MUST buy a 145, and if you want a piston pen you must buy a 146 or larger. The 147, which is a cartridge pen the same size as a 146, is long gone.

Pelikan at least offers some consistency in filling systems in the Souverän line, although the consistency is "you can have any filling system you want as long as it's piston." Interestingly enough, and a side note, the giant M1000 only holds a tiny bit more ink than the M400(I think about .1mL). Of the piston filling pens I've seen measured, the Montblanc 14 actually comes out on top at 1.6mL, more than the 1.3mL of the 149, 146, and M800(https://nibbinibnibb.com/2017/09/27/ink-capacities/). Of course the other side of that is that I've been writing seemingly forever on a 14 "F" nib, and it's not great for a pen to go a long time with ink in it(albeit using it daily counteracts that somewhat, and MBs as a whole tend to seal extremely well so evaporation is minimal).

Here are a few promised photos, with the capped and uncapped 12 and 14 between a 145 and 145. I've also shown a close-up of the "Meisterstück" marking on the 14 cap band.

IMG_1738.jpg
IMG_1739.jpg
IMG_1740.jpg

• Love

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
A few more additions:

Montblanc 3-42G with a nice little F-B flexible nib. This pen probably dates to the 1950s. These are petite little pens(a bit smaller than something like a Pelikan M400). "3" means it's a 3rd line pen, "4" means it's a piston filler with the telescopic piston mechanism, and "2" refers to the overall size of the pen(actually the nib size, but the rest of the pen follows from there). This same convention is still used on the current Meisterstück line.

IMG_1857.jpg
IMG_1859.jpg

Next, something that's a bit of an interesting pen. It was sold to me as a Parker Duofold Senior in black hard rubber from a reputable seller, and fully restored with a PVC sac(that should last forever). It has a "Lucky Curve" feed, which was a Paker innovation to keep from "burping." The Duofold switched from hard rubber to celluloid in 1926, and black was introduced in 1922, so in theory the pen should fall in that slot. The problem-even though it's the size of a Duofold and in fact the seller(with full disclosure to me) had fitted a hard rubber cap from a Duofold. The issue is it's not actually marked "Duofold." This dates it to probably sometime between 1919 and 1921. It's my oldest pen, but of course writes as phenomenally as you would expect a Parker to. This is what's called a "Button Filling" pen-pushing a button under the blind cap compresses the sac.

This is quite a large pen, and in fact the red version was nicknamed the "Big Red." It's about the diameter of a Montblanc 146, but is shorter.

IMG_1870.jpg
IMG_1871.jpg
IMG_1872.jpg

A pair of Parker Vacumatics, a Major and a Jr. These are the same size pen-the Major just has a "lifetime guarantee" nib, as indicated by the blue diamond on the clip. The nib is heavenly on the Major. These are roughly Pelikan M400 sized pens.
IMG_1760.jpg
IMG_1761.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1855.jpg
    IMG_1855.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 204
Reactions: AVBeatMan

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Hit submit a bit too fast on the last one, but here are a pair of Montblancs to round this out

First, a Montblanc 147 Traveler. This is a sort of oddball pen. It is identical in size and virtually identical in weight to the 146. The difference, however, is that this is a cartridge pen(cartridge only). The cartridge fits in a brass "sled" that is inserted through the end of the pen(where the piston knob would normally be). It fits a standard international cartridge, and can hold a second spare. The brass sled gives it similar balance to the piston mechanism on the 146.

This has a lovely little stubby BB nib.

IMG_1894.jpg
IMG_1895.jpg
IMG_1897.jpg
IMG_1915.jpg

Finally, my first new MB purchase, and one I've been eyeing for a while. This is the "Great Characters Edition Tribute to Walt Disney." This is an interesting pen. These Great Character pens are an interesting metal piston filler mechanism. That's beside the point, though-the body is a huge canvas for a TON of interesting detail. Every time I look at this, I notice something new. I also included a bottle of Petrol Blue, the 2019 color of the year, in this order, and I'm enjoying it also.

IMG_1929.jpg
IMG_1930.jpg
IMG_1931.jpg
IMG_1932.jpg
IMG_1933.jpg
IMG_1934.jpg
IMG_1935.jpg

Also, if you spend enough with Montblanc these days, apparently you get a free wireless phone charger. These aren't available separately that I can find, but the documents I got with this purchase indicate MB values this at $150. I think that star costs a lot on it, but still it's an interesting and useful piece

IMG_1926.jpg

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I have a few other recent acquisitions worthy of a write-up, but I thought I'd mention this one.

This is a Montblanc 144, but this is somewhat of a different beast than the newer 144. This one is a celluloid model. Montblanc quit making celluloid pens in the late 1950s, and as best as I can tell all of the big Meisterstück "Cigar" pens save for the 149, including the 142, 144, and 146, were discontinued either before or around the time MB transitioned from celluloid to resin. All of these model numbers save for the 142 have come back as newer resin models, but most had a big gap in their production and the modern incarnations don't really resemble the older ones(the most similar is the 146).

The 144 is little bigger than a modern Pelikan M200/M400-in my hand it feels longer but skinnier.

IMG_2145.jpeg

This 144 is fitted with an OB-Oblique Broad-nib. As is typical of Montblanc broads, this one is fairly stubby. A standard Montblanc oblique is a "left foot" oblique ground to a 15º angle. I find OBB Montblancs to be a bit too much for me and can be uncomfortable to hold such that a nib that wide ground as such needs a bit too much rotation of the pen for me to be comfortable. On the other hand, OM and OB nibs from Montblanc are near perfect matches to how I write.

As is common for nibs of this age, there's a bit of flex in it. It's nowhere near as pronounced as the very flexible "Fine" nib on my 142, but it's definitely there and I find that it tends to flex nicely for me for things like underlining or heavy cross-strokes on Ts. This gives a nice extra dimension to what I write with this pen.

Of notes is that, at the time this pen was made, Montblanc opted to brand pens for the US market as "Masterpiece" rather than "Meisterstück." The cap band is marked as such.

IMG_2146.jpeg

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I have a few other recent acquisitions worthy of a write-up, but I thought I'd mention this one.

This is a Montblanc 144, but this is somewhat of a different beast than the newer 144. This one is a celluloid model. Montblanc quit making celluloid pens in the late 1950s, and as best as I can tell all of the big Meisterstück "Cigar" pens save for the 149, including the 142, 144, and 146, were discontinued either before or around the time MB transitioned from celluloid to resin. All of these model numbers save for the 142 have come back as newer resin models, but most had a big gap in their production and the modern incarnations don't really resemble the older ones(the most similar is the 146).

The 144 is little bigger than a modern Pelikan M200/M400-in my hand it feels longer but skinnier.

View attachment 1732050

This 144 is fitted with an OB-Oblique Broad-nib. As is typical of Montblanc broads, this one is fairly stubby. A standard Montblanc oblique is a "left foot" oblique ground to a 15º angle. I find OBB Montblancs to be a bit too much for me and can be uncomfortable to hold such that a nib that wide ground as such needs a bit too much rotation of the pen for me to be comfortable. On the other hand, OM and OB nibs from Montblanc are near perfect matches to how I write.

As is common for nibs of this age, there's a bit of flex in it. It's nowhere near as pronounced as the very flexible "Fine" nib on my 142, but it's definitely there and I find that it tends to flex nicely for me for things like underlining or heavy cross-strokes on Ts. This gives a nice extra dimension to what I write with this pen.

Of notes is that, at the time this pen was made, Montblanc opted to brand pens for the US market as "Masterpiece" rather than "Meisterstück." The cap band is marked as such.

View attachment 1732053

My MB pens are (the current model) 144; how does your 144 compare - size wise - with the current 144?

I love my own pen, and find that it is almost an extension of my hand and wrist when I write.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
My MB pens are (the current model) 144; how does your 144 compare - size wise - with the current 144?

I love my own pen, and find that it is almost an extension of my hand and wrist when I write.

To be honest, I can't answer that question as I don't have one.

It's my one "missing piece" from the 14x series pens. I've looked at them a bit, but the modern 144 and the 145 are the two most faked pens Montblanc has made. The real answer is to get one from a boutique(AFAIK what's now sold as the "Mozart" is the same as the 144) but it's also hard for me to part with close to $600 for one when that will get me a 70s or 80s 149 or maybe even two 146s if I shop carefully. With the 149 in particular, I like the split ebonite feed and 1-piece barrel of the 70s and early 80s ones.

I've been watching a few trustworthy dealers for a good 144 to pop up for sale, and am hoping one will.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
A pair of OB(Oblique Broad) Montblancs.

The 149 sums up why I love Montblanc. This is a pen made in 2019, and even in 2021 you can buy an oblique nib as a regular catalog item. Montblanc gets a lot of hate and reverse-snobbery in the pen community for the brand hype and all of their non-pen products, but the fact that they are the only pen maker I'm aware of that still grinds oblique nibs as a regular catalog item firmly cements them as a true pen maker to me.

And yes, I get along very well with oblique nibs.

IMG_2306.jpeg

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Very nice!

I'm a huge Parker fan, but did not have any modern ones. Coincidentally, that also changed today with this arriving in the mail. This may not be an original "Big Red" but it's a lot more practical as a user than one and in pretty much every way a better pen than the original. I prefer a larger nib than fine, but this one is wonderful.

IMG_2476.jpeg
IMG_2475.jpeg

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
My Parker's are the smoothest writers I have. They never miss a beat. I find my Lamy to be temperamental and my Mont Blanc needs a service that I haven't got round to yet as not been going out.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I'm rather partial to my Montblancs, but Parker is a close second favorite for me. The modern ones are in an interesting spot, and IMO Newell-Rubbermade is missing a good opportunity to really mass market the better Parkers.

Of course they'd need to start by beefing up their ink offerings, as the current Quink line-up is pretty crummy(they also own Waterman, and Waterman inks come in a nice array of colors, but that doesn't help you if you're a cartridge user). Aside from it being a C/C pen and not a piston, I'd still put my Duofold on par with the Montblanc 146 and Pelikan M800. It's a different feeling pen from either of those(I have both, and the 146 is my favorite pen of all time) but is in a very similar spot as price, size, and overall quality goes.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Personally, I have always found Parkers to be too large (and heavy) for my hand, but they are exceptionally well constructed pens and well deserve their popularity.

As a teenager, and, at university, I tended to use Cross, Papermate, or Shaeffer pens, and, then discovered Caran d'Ache.

However, for more than the past decade, I have used Mont Blanc pens and love them, as, when writing with them, they glide easily across the page, and they feel as though they are an extension of my wrist.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.