Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WhiteKnightMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2017
United Kingdom
I'm heading out to the Falkland Islands for four months early next year with the RAF and would like some good suggestions for games to take with me for the downtime.

My laptop isn't particularly powerful (MacBook Air Mid 2011)

The internet connection out there is nonexistent so MMO's and anything requiring being constantly connected is out of the question.

I have a Steam account (native and Wine):
  • Final Fantasy III
  • Civ III
Another other great suggestions to help the time pass?

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I'm heading out to the Falkland Islands for four months early next year with the RAF and would like some good suggestions for games to take with me for the downtime.

My laptop isn't particularly powerful (MacBook Air Mid 2011)

The internet connection out there is nonexistent so MMO's and anything requiring being constantly connected is out of the question.

I have a Steam account (native and Wine):
  • Final Fantasy III
  • Civ III
Another other great suggestions to help the time pass?
You been before? There's a very subsidised bar! Two of the guys from work go out there to support the photographic department.

As for games I've not turned my console on in months, so I'm probably not the best to advise!

WhiteKnightMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2017
United Kingdom
You been before? There's a very subsidised bar! Two of the guys from work go out there to support the photographic department.

As for games I've not turned my console on in months, so I'm probably not the best to advise!

Yeah went out four years ago, just going back for another tour.

Actually looking forward to it.

Can't beat the Lego games IMO. Star Wars, Marvel heroes, that sort of thing. They play OK on my 2010 iMac, so your laptop should be able to handle them.

I'm amazed you mention Civ 3 though. Wasn't that a PowerPC game on the Mac, or did they make it Intel compatible too?

BTW, on a completely unrelated note, are the islands in a state where you can wander these days, or is there still the risk of stepping on something quite a bit nastier than animal poo? I hear the wildlife there is fantastic, but I've always been put off going by the thought of what the invasion left behind.

Reactions: Huntn

Diving Capers

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2017
If possible I'd take:

PS4 + Uncharted collection + Uncharted 4 + the last of us + fallout 4 + the witcher 3 + metal gear solid the phantom pain

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
Do you like CRPGs? Tides of Numenera and Pillars of Eternity are both huge if you machine will run them.

Or how about some awesome retro goodness like Ultima 7? A true classic and also epically huge. If they aren't available from Steam then they are available from GOG.com

Attonine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2006
Kent. UK
Friend if my brother in law has just come back from a 1 yr contract there working in healthcare. Think it was the RAF that got him there? Anyway, in the UK he lives on the, how can I put it........darker side of life. He seems to have had a great time, took up dancing of all things. I think he regrets not taking the offer of contract extension.

As for games, I suppose that really depends on what kind of games you like. I'd probably take a PS4 and a whole bunch of action games, the lego games, never got on with fallout 4 but I'd probably take it to see if I could finally crack it, the same with GTA.

Mid 2011 MBA, I just wouldn't bother with any games for that. PS4 can be got for cheap nowadays, loads of second hand ones around.

WhiteKnightMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2017
United Kingdom
Fallout 4 would be a a lot of fun and take a long time to beat, but I'm not sure your mac-book could handle it.

Would love to play this but you're right, my poor little MacBook would melt! (assuming I can even boot the game)

Can't beat the Lego games IMO. Star Wars, Marvel heroes, that sort of thing. They play OK on my 2010 iMac, so your laptop should be able to handle them.

I'm amazed you mention Civ 3 though. Wasn't that a PowerPC game on the Mac, or did they make it Intel compatible too?

BTW, on a completely unrelated note, are the islands in a state where you can wander these days, or is there still the risk of stepping on something quite a bit nastier than animal poo? I hear the wildlife there is fantastic, but I've always been put off going by the thought of what the invasion left behind.

Civ III is a Windows only game through Steam (I'm using Wine to run it on the Mac)

And yeah, there are still areas that are a bit out of bounds for your own safety, mines are always being washed up on shore still.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.