Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How likely are you to recommend foxPEP to a friend, colleague, or associate?

• Likely

Votes: 32 78.0%
  • Unlikely

Votes: 9 22.0%

• Total voters

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
@MacFoxG4 Hmm... I tested several videos on YouTube set to differing quality selections, plus many more websites for a sustained period of time, and received only stable operation - as intended.

If your install of FF Legacy does not contain any active logins or data you cannot afford to lose, I would suggest refreshing Firefox from about:support, and then trying 2.2 once more. If it crashes again, please post the crash report so I might have a better lead as to what's causing it. Thank you.

Last edited:

MacFoxG4

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2019
@MacFoxG4 Hmm... I tested several videos on YouTube set to differing quality selections, plus many more websites for a sustained period of time, and received only stable operation - as intended.

If your install of FF Legacy does not contain any active logins or data you cannot afford to lose, I would suggest refreshing Firefox from about:support, and then trying 2.2 once more. If it crashes again, please post the crash report so I might have a better lead as to what's causing it. Thank you.
Same result as before, Firefox Legacy will just quit itself whenever I load a webpage, not just YouTube. I'll message you the latest crash report.

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
Good news everyone! I have pinpointed the trouble area causing this crash, and have made available a fixed version in the form of release 2.2.1. foxPEP 2.2 Gratitude is once again fully compatible with Firefox Legacy. :cool:

Many thanks to @MacFoxG4 for his participation.

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
Actually, there is one more thing.

When PowerUOC morphed into PowerPEP (which was then later rebranded into foxPEP) almost a year ago, it had to sacrifice TenFourFox optimization in order to gain universal compatibility. And while later iterations of foxPEP regained some of that lost performance with increasing levels of efficiency, it's never quite recovered to the same tier for TenFourFox use cases.

Well, I figured that the very platform that kicked the entire project off in the first place deserves better.

Presenting TenFourFoxPEP; built from a heavily modified version of foxPEP 2.2 and optimized to the hilt to specifically improve TenFourFox's performance, it is to date the closest thing to an 'ultimate' TFF optimizer ever.

-

Plus new fast, futureproofed, and TFFP-injected versions of AquaWeb, which screams even on a mid-tier G4.

-

Thank you all for your participation.

Last edited:

aurora72

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
Türkiye
This patch (prefs.js) has considerably speeded up my Mac mini G4 1.5Ghz so thank you but it seems to have disabled the Youtube / HTML5 video playback. Is there any way I can turn it on again, i.e. is there any setting / line I should edit in prefs.js?

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
@aurora72 YouTube offers WebM (VP9) video streams by default. If that is turned off, it will fall back to MP4 video streams, which although have licensing restrictions and are therefore not the default streaming venue, are a lot faster regardless. But on the same token, if the operating system lacks the MP4 libraries to play the stream, then there will be no way to play the video (as you have just seen).

You can turn VP9 playback back on by setting media.webm.enabled to true in about:config.

However, I would strongly recommend that you do not do this, but instead install the TenFourFox MP4 Enabler found here:

This will add the necessary MP4 libraries to OS X for TenFourFox to play the video stream, which will result in noticeably increased video playback performance.

That said, there are even better solutions for watching YouTube videos than playing them in-browser. AquaVid is a TenFourFoxPEP-infused TenFourFoxBox that has been set to default to YouTube.com, and is consequently, very fast.

If you have Leopard, you also have the option of TenFiveTube, which has a smaller video resolution selection, but is slightly faster than AquaVid in navigation and playback.

And alternatively, there is PowerPC Media Center 7, which can be used to stream a video URL at a perfect frame rate, and do many other cool things too. Plus, it will even work in Panther. Although currently, its only weakness is that after accepting a URL, it may take a while before it starts streaming the video.

I hope that was helpful.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
@z970mp

1-Does this improve on modern hardware and latest Firefox 83? How can I test?
2-Do I have to reinstall after every update?
3-Does it work on Tor browser?

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
@MacBH928 For clarity's sake, I would like to emphasize that foxPEP and TenFourFoxPEP are two different patch-scripts intended for two different codebase pools, with the latter being intended solely for the TenFourFox variant of the Firefox 45 codebase, and the former being intended for the vanilla Mozilla variant of the Firefox 52+ codebases, including Firefox Quantum. With that being said -

1. Yes, it works just as well with modern hardware as vintage hardware. And as previously stated, it should remain compatible with Firefox and its derivatives for the rest of their development lifespan. It can be tested by simply installing it into the browser's user profile folder normally.

2. Assuming that you are referring to every subsequent update of Firefox, reinstalling foxPEP every several update iterations should be sufficient to minimize internal preference clutter as the versions stack up ... although even that may be unnecessary.

3. foxPEP should technically be compatible with the Tor browser, however I would suggest approaching with caution, as it was never tested nor intended for use with Tor, and I would in fact (due to said lack of testing and therefore knowledge), actively recommend against pairing it with Tor for anything besides casual, recreational, or experimental use in the event that the stakes are critically high for maximum security and user privacy.

Make no mistake though that foxPEP still objectively improves on the security and privacy that Mozilla offers in vanilla Firefox by a large margin. This recommendation is simply a precautionary measure teetering on paranoia, and nothing more.

Thank you for your interest.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
@MacBH928 For clarity's sake, I would like to emphasize that foxPEP and TenFourFoxPEP are two different patch-scripts intended for two different codebase pools, with the latter being intended solely for the TenFourFox variant of the Firefox 45 codebase, and the former being intended for the vanilla Mozilla variant of the Firefox 52+ codebases, including Firefox Quantum. With that being said -

1. Yes, it works just as well with modern hardware as vintage hardware. And as previously stated, it should remain compatible with Firefox and its derivatives for the rest of their development lifespan. It can be tested by simply installing it into the browser's user profile folder normally.

2. Assuming that you are referring to every subsequent update of Firefox, reinstalling foxPEP every several update iterations should be sufficient to minimize internal preference clutter as the versions stack up ... although even that may be unnecessary.

3. foxPEP should technically be compatible with the Tor browser, however I would suggest approaching with caution, as it was never tested nor intended for use with Tor, and I would in fact (due to said lack of testing and therefore knowledge), actively recommend against pairing it with Tor for anything besides casual, recreational, or experimental use in the event that the stakes are critically high for maximum security and user privacy.

Make no mistake though that foxPEP still objectively improves on the security and privacy that Mozilla offers in vanilla Firefox by a large margin. This recommendation is simply a precautionary measure teetering on paranoia, and nothing more.

Thank you for your interest.
thanks, say i want to test on Tor how do i uninstall it? just delete the pref.js file?

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
@MacBH928 Precisely. When the foxPEP prefs.js replaces the default prefs.js, it installs the patch and all of its effects. And conversely, when the foxPEP prefs.js is removed, the browser automatically generates the default prefs.js again upon startup. In this respect, even backing up the original prefs.js is unnecessary if it has not been modified to a large extent from stock.

I hope that was helpful.

• Love
Reactions: MacBH928

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
@Macbookprodude None this year, unfortunately. Both foxPEP and TenFourFoxPEP ended with version 2.2.2, released on December 21, 2020. foxPEP 2.2.2, as well as all prior versions, can be downloaded from the project's page on GitHub, and TenFourFoxPEP 2.2.2 can be downloaded from Macintosh Garden.

I have since moved onto other projects, like Web 1.1, reFlash, and OS development.

@ExclusiveMac http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/poweruoc-tenfourfox

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
Here's something cool that I just stumbled upon ...

Picture 2.png

There's an addon that transforms the Australis UI back into the classic pre-FF 29 UI, giving TenFourFox / InterWeb an appearance closer to that of Pale Moon / Arctic Fox, or in some ways even, ironically, Firefox Quantum (especially if the navigation bar was changed to a black color scheme using a FF 45-compatible theme).

Check it out.

Reactions: Project Alice

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
So, I went to go grab a copy of foxPEP for a fresh install of Firefox, and somehow, I managed to stumble upon this article in the process:

Once translated, this is bar none one of the coolest things I've seen all year - I love it when this stuff gets shared. :)

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
So, I went to go grab a copy of foxPEP for a fresh install of Firefox, and somehow, I managed to stumble upon this article in the process:

Once translated, this is bar none one of the coolest things I've seen all year - I love it when this stuff gets shared. :)
I already know what it means :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.