Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quetzal_94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2022
Hi, I got my iphone 13 mini last friday. I'm sadly surprised to experience that Youtube and Twitch app cuts the frame rate in the wildest way (Mostly in 60fps videos). I have the latest iOS version available. I have seen that some other users have reported this as well:

Vp9 codec - Apple Community

Lagging - Apple Community

60p Fps drops on YouTube app videos - Apple Community

And others in unofficial communities.

Is this a software problem? Is has anything to do with codec VP9? Is it a general problem?

There is something I can do to solve this? Could be just a problem in some units?

It's really annoying to facing such kind of lags in 700+ dollars devices. I'm pretty disappointed. First time with iPhone.

Reactions: MLL63QNA

MLL63QNA

Cancelled
Mar 23, 2022
Im having the same issue on my 13 Pro Max, especially when watching the streams with Twitch app. When watching 1080p60 streams it feels like iOS or Twitch app has a memory leak and phone will drop few frames which causes the stream to stutter. This is very annoying.

The streams that Im watching usually has a fps counter on their screen, and it stays above 60, but in some odd reason it feels as if Im getting only 14fps at times, then after a few seconds it shoots up back to buttery smooth.

Either its a memory leak on iOS or Twitch app is lagging. I tested this via Safari and Twitch apps, both have the same issue.

PS: Im surprised no one has not noticed this before, Ive been searching google quite a while and then I came across your post.

PPS: I didnt have this issue on my 11 Pro Max, this issue started after I got my 13 Pro Max.

Last edited:

MLL63QNA

Cancelled
Mar 23, 2022
Actually, now after testing Safari to watch Twitch stream I didnt have any frame drops. I had not tested Safari to watch Twitch in a long while, looks like its much better than Twitch app.

So, I believe this has something to do with Twitch app itself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.