Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
I'm sure most everyone here remembers how Blizzard said they cancelled Overwatch because it couldn't run a smooth 60fps under OS X?

I present to you Paladins! A macOS-native game for your gaming pleasure.

Now you can kinda sorta get your Overwatch on for free. It's a Steam Early Access title, but the developer says it will always be free to play.

Both me and my sons are loving it. We found out about it from Mr Mac Right's youtube channel. https://www.youtube.com/user/IamMrMacRIGHT/videos

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Looks poor. Have you considered installing bootcamp? I'm using it, now there's no application or game my iMac can't run. (short of industrial setups etc)

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Looks poor. Have you considered installing bootcamp? I'm using it, now there's no application or game my iMac can't run. (short of industrial setups etc)

I'm not sure at all to what you're referring.

Performance on my 2011 iMac is stellar, on max settings it gives me 60 fps.

MacBAir

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2016
Portugal
There is already a game similar to Overwatch with much higher skill ceiling and superior Gameplay on every metric. It is also FTP, has a nice community, way more fun. It runs on OS X and Linux too.

The only "meh" about it is an half baked competitive mode and that as an App, it should run much much better. I believe that the issues exist because it is based on Source 1, with lots of patches and "hacks", and in order to touch it they would have to start over and make a third version of the game.

We know those devs don't like the number 3.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Have you considered installing Bootcamp to play Overwatch?

Ahh, now I get you. The only reason I had occasion to play Paladins was because I was watching MrMacRight's videos. He was complimenting the game, so I ended up getting it. My thoughts to Blizzard were a bit snarky, I admit, and something along the lines of "so the Great and Powerful Blizzard can't make their game (Overwatch) play smoothly on modern Macs under macOS, but these little indy developers can?"

I wasn't Jonesing to play Overwatch. I'm still not, to be honest, largely because of the cost of a Windows license, but if you want to contribute to my cause, I could be swayed. :)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Ahh, now I get you. The only reason I had occasion to play Paladins was because I was watching MrMacRight's videos. He was complimenting the game, so I ended up getting it. My thoughts to Blizzard were a bit snarky, I admit, and something along the lines of "so the Great and Powerful Blizzard can't make their game (Overwatch) play smoothly on modern Macs under macOS, but these little indy developers can?"

I wasn't Jonesing to play Overwatch. I'm still not, to be honest, largely because of the cost of a Windows license, but if you want to contribute to my cause, I could be swayed. :)
There's a huge difference in the games though. Overwatch is, I imagine, a hefty game. Maybe what they meant to say was they found it difficult getting it running on common Mac GPUs? Apple are known for sacrificing performance for smaller form factors, after all.

Btw, which iMac do you have? Just you said 2011. I've got the 2011 27" model, forgot what gpu it is but it was the top end model at the time! Still runs smaller indie games and some big games on medium settings. Just no longer at native resolution!

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
There's a huge difference in the games though. Overwatch is, I imagine, a hefty game. Maybe what they meant to say was they found it difficult getting it running on common Mac GPUs? Apple are known for sacrificing performance for smaller form factors, after all.

Btw, which iMac do you have? Just you said 2011. I've got the 2011 27" model, forgot what gpu it is but it was the top end model at the time! Still runs smaller indie games and some big games on medium settings. Just no longer at native resolution!

My mistake. I meant to type 2012 , the 21.5" with the nvidia 650m 512 mb gpu

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Just play TF2, man.
Hah, it is still good. And I feel much more simpler to get into. I recently started Overwatch and there's so much to take in for newcomers.

TF2 on the other hand; 9 classes/characters, 3 weapons, go.

Not saying I don't enjoy Overwatch. There's just loads more to it.

MacBAir

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2016
Portugal
Hah, it is still good. And I feel much more simpler to get into. I recently started Overwatch and there's so much to take in for newcomers.

TF2 on the other hand; 9 classes/characters, 3 weapons, go.

Not saying I don't enjoy Overwatch. There's just loads more to it.
TF2 is much easier to start, however it is insanely more complex and rewarding due master, from a physics to content to gameplay POV.

There are a lot of subclasses, gamemods, the physics and engine itself allows for some insane movements, etc. You actually need to learn and dedicate yourself to be a good player. However, the great thing about it, is that anyone can have some great fun, due to the everything that is allowed. Hello hoovy. Also, you can use source and make some nice stuff with it.

Unfortunately, Valve got lazy with it (gotta milk CS:Go and Dota2), and the app itself runs poorly on all platforms, specially OS X.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
TF2 is much easier to start, however it is insanely more complex and rewarding due master, from a physics to content to gameplay POV.

There are a lot of subclasses, gamemods, the physics and engine itself allows for some insane movements, etc. You actually need to learn and dedicate yourself to be a good player. However, the great thing about it, is that anyone can have some great fun, due to the everything that is allowed. Hello hoovy. Also, you can use source and make some nice stuff with it.

Unfortunately, Valve got lazy with it (gotta milk CS:Go and Dota2), and the app itself runs poorly on all platforms, specially OS X.

What do you think about Paladins?

Have you had a chance to check it out?

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
With it being free, I'm already afraid of it turning into what TF2 became: A haven for children, griefers, or "friendlies" that are looking for a "cheap fill", and ultimately compromise the overall potential integrity of the game. And there have been so many F2P knockoffs trying to do the class-based "cartoony" schtick (and TF2 never even felt like a cartoon) that stuck around for a year or two before tanking for various reasons.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
With it being free, I'm already afraid of it turning into what TF2 became: A haven for children, griefers, or "friendlies" that are looking for a "cheap fill", and ultimately compromise the overall potential integrity of the game. And there have been so many F2P knockoffs trying to do the class-based "cartoony" schtick (and TF2 never even felt like a cartoon) that stuck around for a year or two before tanking for various reasons.

What?

Don't you like hats?

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
What?

Don't you like hats?
If you meant TF2, I already have the hats I'd want.

If you meant Paladins, I'm clueless and not really keeping up with that game, so I'd have no idea what they offer.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
If you meant TF2, I already have the hats I'd want.

If you meant Paladins, I'm clueless and not really keeping up with that game, so I'd have no idea what they offer.

Yeah, I meant TF2. I never got the attraction of the whole hat phemonenon, myself, so my question was loaded with more than a little sarcasm.:)

GoldfishRT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2014
Somewhere
I've been enjoying Paladins. It's a good time, I do actually prefer it to Overwatch. Still can't dethrone the TF2 king in my eyes though.

frankgrimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2016
I've been enjoying Paladins. It's a good time, I do actually prefer it to Overwatch. Still can't dethrone the TF2 king in my eyes though.

Played a bit of Overwatch I like the game, I think it's fine game but there is one thing I can't stand, the lack of a server browser. If I can't choose the mode and map I'd like to play I just lose interest very fast. I just don't like some maps and modes and see no point in wasting my time playing them.

Also I found out that Mercy (after her buff) is easier to play than Lucio because they've nerfed his speed way too much. Something I loved about Overwatch was the pay once and get all heros for free. Would have prefered if TF 2 had that model instead of the grind for weapons or buy them too.

But overall I agree TF 2 for me is still the king and it's much easier to learn and get into than OW, Paladins and especially Battleborn (steep learning curve).

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Yeah, I gotta say, what we *really* need is a Team Fortress 3 from Valve! That game gave me YEARS of fun game-play, and ran well on a number of different Macs and Windows PCs I put in on over time.

I heard some rumbling about Overwatch possibly coming to OS X if Apple releases enough new machines with modern graphics chipsets in them. But basically, no -- it'll only run on a current Mac if you boot to Windows via BootCamp first.

I haven't played this Paladins game yet. Might check it out. But the video samples remind me an awful lot of a game like Unreal Tournament .... or something with that Unreal engine, anyway. That whole thing feels a bit "tired" to me at this point. I mean, I played a LOT of 3D shooters using that same engine and they managed to do a lot with it. But no matter how you "skin" the levels and how you draw the characters, it eventually starts feeling too familiar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.