Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hufflematt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2015
UK
Will everyone’s pre-order yesterday qualify us for a free year’s subscription to Apple TV+.

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
I ordered a new 4K Apple TV yesterday and there was no mention of a free year of ATV+. Have written support but heard nothing yet. Not sure how they are handling this. If anyone knows, please post..

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I ordered a new 4K Apple TV yesterday and there was no mention of a free year of ATV+. Have written support but heard nothing yet. Not sure how they are handling this. If anyone knows, please post..
All I’ve seen is this blurb from the bottom of Apple’s press release from the other day.

Customers who purchase any new iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Mac or iPod touch starting September 10 can enjoy one year of Apple TV+ for free. Beginning November 1, customers can initiate the one-year free offer in the Apple TV app on the device running the latest software. Customers have three months after device activation to claim the offer, or if the device was purchased and activated before the launch of Apple TV+, they will have three months starting November 1. The subscription will automatically renew at $4.99 per month after one year. Customers can cancel at any time in Settings at least one day before each renewal date. Customers who cancel during the offer period will forfeit the remainder of their offer. This limited time offer applies to both new and refurbished models, including devices from the iPhone Upgrade Program, is not restricted to any specific sales channel (e.g., Apple Store, resellers) and will be available in all countries where Apple TV+ will launch. Up to six family members can share one Apple TV+ subscription and watch using their own Apple ID and password. Only one one-year offer is available per family, regardless of the number of devices purchased.
https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2019...ginals-from-the-worlds-greatest-storytellers/

Reactions: GlenK

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
It’ll probably be a pop up on your new iPhone once you switch it on. For everyone else it’ll be a persistant badgering “do you want to pay for Apple TV+” pop up that’ll annoy the hell out of people haha you know there’ll be some forum post at some point asking how to get rid of the pop up.

swandy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
Probably because it is not officially launched yet and will be in the next TVOS update - just like it isn't on iOS/Macos/iPados yet either.

Reactions: GlenK

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Yes, when you log into your new device (ATV, iPhone, iPad, Mac) you will get that reminder - you will have 3 months from the activation day to get the free service for a year.

Remember to put a reminder a year down the road otherwise you will be getting billed for the service.

Reactions: Devyn89

levander

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
If you buy a refurb, like a refurbished iPad Pro 10.5”, I’m guess you don’t get the free year of TV+?

Refurbished products aren’t considered new products?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
If you buy a refurb, like a refurbished iPad Pro 10.5”, I’m guess you don’t get the free year of TV+?

Refurbished products aren’t considered new products?
Here's what the fine print says:
This limited time offer applies to both new and refurbished models, including devices from the iPhone Upgrade Program, is not restricted to any specific sales channel (e.g., Apple Store, resellers) and will be available in all countries where Apple TV+ will launch.
https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2019...ginals-from-the-worlds-greatest-storytellers/

Reactions: levander

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
Well I received and set up the new 4K ATV yesterday and nothing came up about ATV+. So hopefully when it starts Nov 1 I will be able to get the update and free year.

levander

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
Now what I’m wondering about from the terms Aristrobrat has posted is this line:

“Only one one-year offer is available per family, regardless of the number of devices purchased.”

I’m basically gonna start my one year trial either in November, December, or January. Say the following year I join my brother’s Apple ID family (which very well may happen based on stuff we’ve talked about with all these services coming out but that hhe’s not quite ready to try yet). Does my brother putting me in his Apple family after I’ve had my trial mean he can’t do a trial?

Or like say he puts me in his family with like 2 months left on his trial. Does that mean he only gets 2 months of free trial?

I assume if anyone in the family has a free trial or any kind of subscription to ATV+, then the whole family shares it?

Nit picky question I know. But legitimately the situation I’m in.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
Home sharing is intended for you, your partner, the children, etc. It's not for friends and/or family living somewhere else. Your whole idea/setup is to work around these restrictions and obviously are against the terms of service Apple intends. As they state: one trial per iCloud family, so if it all works as intended, a second family member can't start a second trial. For your idea to work, you'll have to rely on their system to have a flaw in it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.