Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cat-lady

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2020
U.K.
Hello,
I am not subscribed to the service but I can use Apple TV+. I am very confused why and how! I have bought an iPad last year in December and an iPhone in September last year (both new). I know there is a year trial going on, however, I have no info about it in my subscriptions. But mysteriously I have Apple TV+..
I am just a bit concerned as I don’t want to suddenly be charged!
I have emailed Apple and they gave me the classic response to check my subscriptions, I did, Apple TV+ Isn’t there.
Has this happened to anyone else?

I have obviously contacted Apple again but I interested to know if anyone else had a similar issue and what it might be! Apple support doesn’t seem to be much help right now with them repeating the same thing :(

pmiles

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2013
AppleTV+ is a channel within the AppleTV app. Everyone can use the AppleTV app, only those with a subscription or trial can use the channel. You know you have access to the channel content if you can watch say the Tehran or See series in their entirety.

Also, the free trial applies to family sharing, so if you have family sharing, someone else in the household may have activated the free trial, which is why you may be seeing the content. Only that Apple ID would show a subscription associated with it.

Odds are pretty good you don't have access to the channel content, just the app itself.

cat-lady

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2020
U.K.
AppleTV+ is a channel within the AppleTV app. Everyone can use the AppleTV app, only those with a subscription or trial can use the channel. You know you have access to the channel content if you can watch say the Tehran or See series in their entirety.

Also, the free trial applies to family sharing, so if you have family sharing, someone else in the household may have activated the free trial, which is why you may be seeing the content. Only that Apple ID would show a subscription associated with it.

Odds are pretty good you don't have access to the channel content, just the app itself.
I have access to the shows too, I tested and I can watch them fully. I went to the See series and can watch every episode fully. I have no family sharing I’m the only person with apple products in my family haha

cat-lady

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2020
U.K.
I got another reply from Apple where they looked into the situation more.
I didn’t sign up for a free trial or anything but me being a university student paying for Apple Music grants me access to Apple TV+. It must have been an offer after I subscribed so I never saw it activate haha problem solved at least

paulsonj72

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2010
I got another reply from Apple where they looked into the situation more.
I didn’t sign up for a free trial or anything but me being a university student paying for Apple Music grants me access to Apple TV+. It must have been an offer after I subscribed so I never saw it activate haha problem solved at least

That is correct. Apple Music student subscribers get access to Apple TV+ at no additional charge

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.