Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChekApp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2016
Hey MacRumors!

We have an app that we believe can contribute to the Education & Productivity category

Chek is a totally free app that displays upcoming tasks and due dates in a whole new way. Rather than a traditional checklist or calendar style, Chek visually shows how many days until the task is due through shorter or longer horizontal bars.

Users can instantly get a sense of how much relative time there is between assignments, over the traditional checklist style with dates shown as text.

Relevant links:
Video (also the App Preview video): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0L0rOSgrjk
App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/app/chek/id1090184932

If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions, feel free to email me:
alex@thechekapp.com

Attachments

• mockup_2.png
    mockup_2.png
    130.8 KB · Views: 214

JTravers

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
Looks like a great app. It would be even better, imo, if you could set start dates for the tasks. Any plans to add that?

Thanks!

ChekApp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2016
Looks like a great app. It would be even better, imo, if you could set start dates for the tasks. Any plans to add that?

Thanks!
What do you mean by the "start date"?

Side note: We're actually working on getting Google Calendar syncing in for the next update.

JTravers

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
What do you mean by the "start date"?

Side note: We're actually working on getting Google Calendar syncing in for the next update.
Lets say I have a project that I don't need to start working on until next week. I'd like to be able to see that in the app. Right now you can see how due dates vary by task but can't vary the start of the tasks. Does that make sense?

For instance, in your app screenshot above, have the Algorithms Final bar start on the following Monday instead of today. Not all bars would start on the current day.

ChekApp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2016
Lets say I have a project that I don't need to start working on until next week. I'd like to be able to see that in the app. Right now you can see how due dates vary by task but can't vary the start of the tasks. Does that make sense?

For instance, in your app screenshot above, have the Algorithms Final bar start on the following Monday instead of today. Not all bars would start on the current day.

Hmm. Interesting. Yes what you're saying makes sense.

That sounds very similar to a gantt chart though (google it if you don't know what it is).

JTravers

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
Hmm. Interesting. Yes what you're saying makes sense.

That sounds very similar to a gantt chart though (google it if you don't know what it is).
Yes, correct. A Gantt chart was what I was trying to describe.

Also, if you have a task that you don't need to start working on until a future date, it really helps ease one's "cognitive load" to not have to stare at it before you really need to start working on it ;)

ChekApp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2016
Yes, correct. A Gantt chart was what I was trying to describe.

Also, if you have a task that you don't need to start working on until a future date, it really helps ease one's "cognitive load" to not have to stare at it before you really need to start working on it ;)
Ya we've had a couple of others suggest similar things.

We'll definitely take what you (and they) said into account.

In the mean time, enjoy using Chek! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.