Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 22, 2018
Hi,

I read that I will get Apple TV+ for free when I'm an Apple Music student subscriber (which I am). Is there anything I need to do to activate this or is the process automatic? I just tried watching the first episode of "See" which worked but when I scroll down in the TV app on my Apple TV to "Explore Apple TV+" it gives me the option to try it out for 1 year for free so I'm a but confused.

Best wishes
Chris

Edit: I should note that I have family sharing set up with my mom (we also have 2 profiles on the Apple TV) who bought the 2019 iPad and in the 1 year for free offer it states that that's because of the iPad purchase (even though I'm logged in).

Edit 2: Okay, seems like the interface is just bugged. I logged in with my mom's profile and when I click on a show it says "Try out 1 year for free" but when I scroll down to the episodes I can play one without any problems.
When I click on a show with my profile it says "Play first episode" instead of "Try one year for free".

Last edited:

mcrpanda

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2015
Manchester
same here. It seems the process is automatic and no instructions on any pages including "manage subscriptions".

But you are also correct, you will still see the 1-year free page if you click "explore Apple TV+" (if you purchase any apple devices recently).
[automerge]1572610060[/automerge]
Hi,

I read that I will get Apple TV+ for free when I'm an Apple Music student subscriber (which I am). Is there anything I need to do to activate this or is the process automatic? I just tried watching the first episode of "See" which worked but when I scroll down in the TV app on my Apple TV to "Explore Apple TV+" it gives me the option to try it out for 1 year for free so I'm a but confused.

Best wishes
Chris

Edit: I should note that I have family sharing set up with my mom (we also have 2 profiles on the Apple TV) who bought the 2019 iPad and in the 1 year for free offer it states that that's because of the iPad purchase (even though I'm logged in).

Edit 2: Okay, seems like the interface is just bugged. I logged in with my mom's profile and when I click on a show it says "Try out 1 year for free" but when I scroll down to the episodes I can play one without any problems.
When I click on a show with my profile it says "Play first episode" instead of "Try one year for free".

I think you can see "play the first episode" without activating "try one year for free" first because of the AM student subscription. They should tell AM student subscribers about this benefit within the app at least.

Last edited:

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 22, 2018
This starts to get a bit annoying because today my iPhone nagged me two times to try Apple TV+ for free and my Apple TV one time even though I already have it and my mom also has it through family sharing. So it seems that in this particular case that

- family member 1 is a Apple Music student subscriber
- family member 2 bought a device with 1 year Apple TV+ for free

the Apple TV+ subscription system is kind of bugged.

I don't even see the subscription listed under "subscriptions" in the App Store.

Strangedream

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2019
London, UK
I just got the email couple days ago saying I have free Apple TV+ with my Apple Music student plan. Seems that I was enrolled automatically for Apple TV+ but I won't complain they have good shows!

Funny thing is that I am not even a student, but becauseI work for a university I still get all the student goodies :D

Reactions: chris4565
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.