Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
if im using dot5hosting now and i registered or purchased a domain through them... can i have this domain name redirected so my site can be hosted here?

so let me get this straight here. i sign up before that jan date and i get 3 years of free hosting and i can cancel anytime.... anytime... are we sure? no obligations it says.

how many domain names can one have hosted on thier set up?

trebblekicked

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2002
Chicago, IL, USA
you can have 100 domains pointed to yr webspace.

the deal appears to be legit. looks like it's a european (german) company making an entry into the hosting market stateside. the fine print seems to check out.

i think you can transfer registration or just point yr domain to yr webspace. yr choice.

radhak

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2003
NJ, USA
Originally posted by krossfyter
if im using dot5hosting now and i registered or purchased a domain through them... can i have this domain name redirected so my site can be hosted here?

so let me get this straight here. i sign up before that jan date and i get 3 years of free hosting and i can cancel anytime.... anytime... are we sure? no obligations it says.

how many domain names can one have hosted on thier set up?

i transferred my domain from elsewhere to 1and1 and it went smoothly. there cannot be any obligations, seeing that they don't even take your credit card number, and their terms of conditions don't have any. i have a feeling that if i am able to use them as my host for 3 years without any major problem, i might feel so happy about it that i'd pay to stay later. and thats what they are counting on. ;)

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
1and1 hosting is an affiliate of perfora.net ... they've been around for years and are actually one of the top hosting providers in the world. their servers are located in New York....

they just re-vamped their hosting packages and the only one that you can sign up for at this time is the free service.

i'm actually starting to use their service since i get a lot more disk space.

the only quarrel that i have with them is that the admin control panel runs so incredibly slow for safari. other browsers like mozilla firebird load the pages in a decent time frame... oh yeah... and they won't install Image::Magick because it's "uses too many resources"

brianellisrules

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2003
Is there any catch like, "you're now obligated to pay for X years of hosting after these 3 free years run out"??

brianellisrules

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2003
Originally posted by mnkeybsness
nope...

i actually read through the ENTIRE terms of service contract.
wow, you're a better person than I am... I tried and after the first 2-3 sections I started to go nuts. :D

Thanks.

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
so what do i need from my original hosters to be able to use the same domain name i have on the new host?...redirect or whatever one calls it.

g808

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
Bay Area, CA
so what do i need from my original hosters to be able to use the same domain name i have on the new host?...redirect or whatever one calls it

all you need to do is change the name servers your domain is currently pointing to, so they point to 1and1's name servers. 1and1 will tell you what those name servers are when you add a domain via their Control Panel.

your domain registrar can do this for you or should have an admin tool to let you do this yourself.

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
Originally posted by ber.com
Is there any catch like, "you're now obligated to pay for X years of hosting after these 3 free years run out"??

That's what I wondered, since it said that fees "will be waived for 36 months"

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
Originally posted by ber.com

The service agreement mentions no obligation to continue service after the 3 years are up, as someone noted above. Additionally, they don't take any credit card info from you when you sign up, so they have no way to charge you.

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
Originally posted by g808
all you need to do is change the name servers your domain is currently pointing to, so they point to 1and1's name servers. 1and1 will tell you what those name servers are when you add a domain via their Control Panel.

your domain registrar can do this for you or should have an admin tool to let you do this yourself.

thanks man. i just tried contacting 1and1 and they STILL havent responded. everyone says they respond quickly but they don't with me... i wonder whats goin on.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Just got my 1and1 space setup, domain name(s) still "applying" :) It will be (guess what!?!)...edesignuk.net! :D
I hope to be able to setup phpbb on it, may need some help from some of you php/mysql guys ;)

edit: and BTW, control panel speed is fine for me, no problems heer!

brianellisrules

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2003
Do other web servers/hosts use this same control panel? My current server uses cpanelx and that seems a lot better to me - everything is right there. With 1and1.com's control panel, it seems to be a lot of menus and whatnot... not quite as handy.

Also, is it possible to FTP stuff without a domain name setup? I couldn't find anything about an ftp address to get that running.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
I might mention that the day after I signed up for this service I started getting literally 4-5 telemarketer calls per day for about 3 weeks... on my cell phone (the number I registered with). It could totally be a coincidence. About three weeks into it I informed the telemarketer that I was placing a complaint with the FCC as they should not be calling my cell phone and I have not recieved *any* telemarketing calls since. It could be total coincidence but I don't think it is.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Originally posted by mnkeybsness
I haven't received any more than I normally do. Perhaps it is just a coincidence.

True... could be.. it's just that I went from literally none to 4 or 5 a day after I gave that company my cell phone number. Seems odd to me... more of an FYI (just in case) instead of a don't use their service... something to possibly be aware of.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
I haven't received any telemarketing calls on the phone I used to register. (I registered the day this thread started.)

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
As I said, I registered the domain name edesignuk.net yesterday, the status says "ready" on 1and1 but I still cannot get to the site via it. How long did it take anyone elses domain names to replicate through out gobal DNS servers?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.