Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
May 28, 2017
For those of you who want to have split screen functionality on OS X Yosemite, for absolutely free, I just wanted to share my experience with a wonderful app I've been using these past couple of weeks and I now cannot live without ! In case you didn't know ...

It allows you to arrange windows either vertically or horizontally, or even in the four corners of the screen. You can also split the screen into three panes, and can center or maximize an app. If you want to increase/decrease the size of any of your panes slightly, no problem ... so it doesn't have to be an even split !

It offers keyboard shortcuts so you can work with ease and efficiency, never having to lose focus from the apps you're working on. You can even customize the shortcuts to your complete liking. The app itself runs in the top menu bar and can be accessed with ease, whenever customization is required.

In my opinion, this app is far superior to the built-in split screen feature that macOS El Capitan offers, which is cumbersome and limited in functionality.

It's called Spectacle, and you can download it from here: https://www.spectacleapp.com/

spec1.png

spec-2.png

spec-3.png

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.