Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
Hi all

I'd like to present you my 3rd app: SwizzTube. It's a rather simple app which allows you to watch YouTube videos without ads. It has a favorite/bookmark feature to create a list, a history list and allows for picture-in-picture and background (display off) playback. No registration/account needed.

It's completely free!

App Store: https://apps.apple.com/app/apple-store/id6466721604?pt=125819844&ct=macrumors&mt=8

Feedback and suggestions welcome.

P.S.: If you want to watch YouTube without ads on Apple TV, check out my other app SwizzVPN. It allows to block YouTube ads on Apple TV (and any other Apple devices) while using the original YouTube app.

Greetings

Attachments

• swizztube-promo.png
    swizztube-promo.png
    963.4 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Would it be possible to add the user option to show the URL of the YouTube video being watched, so that it can be downloaded using a third party app like Downie?

I tired the PiP option several different times and each time it crashes the app. Outside of that small problem, the app works great at blocking ads. Thanks.

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
You can use the share button underneath the video, it should then popup a box where you can click on the link that copies it to the clipboard. But I'll add a way to click on the title.

I assume you try to use PiP on Mac? Yes you're right, I couldn't get it to work on Mac. On iPhone/iPad it should work though.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
You can use the share button underneath the video, it should then popup a box where you can click on the link that copies it to the clipboard. But I'll add a way to click on the title.

I assume you try to use PiP on Mac? Yes you're right, I couldn't get it to work on Mac. On iPhone/iPad it should work though.
Yea, I am on the new M3. Thanks for reply. Can you make a way to change the video resolution on the videos, along with being able to see what the video default is?

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
Yea, I am on the new M3. Thanks for reply. Can you make a way to change the video resolution on the videos, along with being able to see what the video default is?
If you close the full screen video, you can click inside the video part, which reveals the settings gear button on the top right. Due the way of ad blocking I'm using, the quality is mostly limited to 720p or 1080p. It auto selects the highest quality.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
Unfortunately I don't know how to filter Shorts.

I can do a Mac version if wanted. I even have a working version for Apple TV, but Apple didn't accept it yet (and I don't think they will…).

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
There was a bug in the last 2 version which sometimes (or always?) prevented background playback from working. It gets fixed in the next version.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Unfortunately I don't know how to filter Shorts.

I can do a Mac version if wanted. I even have a working version for Apple TV, but Apple didn't accept it yet (and I don't think they will…).
That is unfortunately. I really hate these YT Shorts. I wish it could be turned off.

I do wonder if you could arrange that the 'restore purchase' from Swizz VPN to also works in the separate Swizz Tube app. I'm currently using the tab in the Swizz VPN app but I would love to use the dedicated app.

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
That is unfortunately. I really hate these YT Shorts. I wish it could be turned off.

I do wonder if you could arrange that the 'restore purchase' from Swizz VPN to also works in the separate Swizz Tube app. I'm currently using the tab in the Swizz VPN app but I would love to use the dedicated app.
Maybe that would be possible but I want to keep them separate. It's a pretty inexpensive app after all :)

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
Just submitted a new update which improves video quality, something was broken in the last few versions.

backstreetboy

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2023
Any update on a possible work-around for blocking YouTube ads on TVOS?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.