Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ndriver182

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
Has anybody else seen this or heard supporting evidence?

http://jacksonville.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/stories/2008/06/09/daily29.html?ana=yfcpc

"Some customers who bought Apple Inc.'s iPhone at AT&T Inc. stores may be able to exchange the handset for the faster, less expensive new model and get a rebate.

San Antonio, Texas-based AT&T (NYSE: T), the exclusive U.S. provider of iPhone service, said clients will get a refund for the price difference.

Cupertino, Calif.-based Apple (NASDAQ: AAPL) said it sold more than 6 million phones since the debut a year ago when the 8-gigabyte model sold for $399 and the 16-gigabyte model sold for $499.

Earlier this week Apple unveiled its latest iPhone version, which features faster Internet speeds and built-in GPS capabilities and starts at $199 for an 8GB model and $299 for a 16GB model.

And in a move to fight hackers who have managed to "unlock" the phone and use it on other networks, Apple said it will take a couple of approaches. The phone will be sold in more countries with authorized dealers, and buyers will have to activate service with AT&T before leaving a U.S. store with an iPhone."

If this is true, I wonder about those who purchased at the Apple store vs. ATT...

Regardless, I wonder if this would change any of the minds of those who are on the fence whether or not to upgrade.

Mankin5344

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2007
NE Ohio
Probably just speculation. I couldn't see apple or at&t just giving you the newer technology for nothing except for a phone that they dont even make anymore. Although it would be awesome if it was true, but I highly doubt it.

JBaker122586

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
I don't know about the rebate, but I believe if you bought the iPhone on May 28 or later, you'll be able to bring it in and exchange it for the new model when it's released free of charge.

.michael

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2007
You might get a rebate but I really doubt they'd let you upgrade for free. Whatever they do they're gonna make you extend your contract if you want any sort of upgrade.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
There was word that as long as you copped a iPhone AFTER May 27th you were elgible to bring it in and trade it up for the new model on the 11th of July. You wouldn't be upgrading for FREE because you paid either $400 or $500 for you current iPhone while the 3G iPhones are $200 & $300.

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East

WillieAames

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2008
Check your receipt, it depends on how long you have had it. Here is the updated return policy that states that: "All sales of original iPhone and refurbished iPhone after July 1, 2008 are final and cannot be returned for any reason."

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/legal/return-policy.jsp

This refurb was purchased on 6/1/08, so it's definitely out of the normal "Return policy" window.

I wanted to see if anyone knew if refurbs were also eligible for the May 27th upgrade offer. And, if so, what would one need to do to upgrade?

93cobra

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2008
Anyone know the validity of this???? I purchased a 1st Gen on June 9, 2008. Has anyone actually been able to pull off this return and receive the rebate. When I spoke to the National Call Center for AT&T the person on the other end had no idea what I was talking about...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.