Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hdhanani

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
Vancouver, BC
I have noticed that on touchmods they have a list of venders that acknowledge free calling using voip services. Now I registered for freecall.com and I only get 10 free trial calls max 1 minute and then I have to buy credit. Is there any service out there to just make free voip calls without the gimmicks? Otherwise the touchmod mic seems pretty useless.

Darkjenso

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2007
in a word: no

these services charge at a rate much lower than the cost of an average call so it is ok,

although as it happens, Mac os 9 used to come with a utility to make calls through the dial up modem which as far as i know was pritty much free

cjd82187

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2007
try a different one from the list. I dont have a jailbroken touch anymore because I really wanted the official 1.1.3 apps, but when it was, I found a few that were free, and one that was free for 300 minutes a week, which is way more than any cell plan is gonna get you. freeworlddialup.com seemd free and i think it was internetcalls.com that I tried. good luck, and I will be joining you on this search for cheap/free VoIP when the 1.1.3 JB is released.

ipodtoucher

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2007
Cedar Park, TX
internetcalls.com works perfectly. The calls are a little laggy, but what do you expect...although i think i have a headphone jack problem....great

soviski

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2008
Hi all, does anyone know any good VoIP phone services I can use for businesses, that will also register my number with 411?I have multiple businesses that I run from home, and would like a VoIP phone service that can operate all numbers in one. Does anyone know of a GREAT VoIP service? And how do you register a VoIP number with 411? Thanks a lot.

John-voip

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2009
VoipSipSdk

VoipSipSdk

I am now looking for voip solutions. And found information about Voip sdk.
According to their website http://www.voipsipsdk.com
Voip sdk is based on IETF standards (SIP, STUN, etc.), so it should be compatible with other standard based products such as Asterisk, OpenSER other.

They have all features I need:
# Dynamically loadable codecs
# Registrar support
# Play wav files into conversation
# Record conversation into file
# Hold/Retrieve call
# Forward Call (Blind Call Transfer)
# Transfer Call (Attended Transfer)
# Mute Sound
# VPN support
# Noise reduction
# Auto gain
# Jitter buffer parameters
# Samples on Delphi, C#, VB, VB.NET, C++ 2005, C++ 6.0, HTML (SIP ActiveX)
# Windowless samples on C++ and .NET
# DTMF
# Adaptive silence detection
# Adaptive jitter buffer
# STUN support
# Comes as ActiveX control

But before I will download the evaluation version I would like to hear other people experience.

Addicted2it

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2009
Northern California
I have noticed that on touchmods they have a list of venders that acknowledge free calling using voip services. Now I registered for freecall.com and I only get 10 free trial calls max 1 minute and then I have to buy credit. Is there any service out there to just make free voip calls without the gimmicks? Otherwise the touchmod mic seems pretty useless.

Skype seems to be the best around, but still a bit unstable. I'm just thankful that I can call UK from USA without toll charges.

MacLadybug

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2008
VoipSipSdk

I am now looking for voip solutions. And found information about Voip sdk.
According to their website http://www.voipsipsdk.com
Voip sdk is based on IETF standards (SIP, STUN, etc.), so it should be compatible with other standard based products such as Asterisk, OpenSER other.

But before I will download the evaluation version I would like to hear other people experience.

I'm curious too,but it looks like it only works on Windows not Mac OS X.

JustDaveMamm

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2010
Yeah, Whistle works good on my 4g.

Whistle ad's are display only when using the free version. The say that push notification, currently free, will change in the future. No mention about what / when the change.

Shorts.

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2010
NOPE NOPE NOPE... easiest by far is the app textfree with voice.. you can send texts and MMS for FREE on wifi plus you get your own phone number and can earn TONS of free minutes or if you want to buy minutes its 100 min for 1.99 or 250 min for 4.99 or 500 min for 9.99 and like i said people can call you on that number and you can call any cell phone or landline

AaliaBabe

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2013
London
VoIP calls

Hellobhai PC to phone call with very cheap deal. You can call PC or iPhone just download and install Fring. When installion complete then
From the Call submenu, you select SIP call. Your call is made using the Hellobhai account you have attached. Enjoy Calling !

sallyroth

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2012
VoIP Calls

Hello, No one provide the free calls regular but only provide the some test minutes for checking the route quality, so we can say that it is not free, but it is relatively cheap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.