Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

secondcup

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2008
Does anyone have a sense of if there are as many free apps available for iPad as there are for iPhone/Touch? I'm wondering if I'd be able to find many useful free iPad-specific apps if I were to purchase a pad. In other words, do you think many of the free iPhone apps will eventually have iPad version? From what I've read, running iPhone apps on the "pad" is not as impressive as running an app made specifically for the iPad.

mickbab

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Does anyone have a sense of if there are as many free apps available for iPad as there are for iPhone/Touch? I'm wondering if I'd be able to find many useful free iPad-specific apps if I were to purchase a pad. In other words, do you think many of the free iPhone apps will eventually have iPad version? From what I've read, running iPhone apps on the "pad" is not as impressive as running an app made specifically for the iPad.

Just as a generalisation, I would think that a lot of the free apps are ones made by single devs or small groups, with not a lot of resources put into them and not as much focus. Therefore they are less likely to put in the time to produce an iPad version.

Though as I said, just a generalisation.

gratui

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2010
As you can see Firefox, Chrome, IE, Safari... all of them are free but they providing benefits to their developers.

I think it will be same on iPad apps. If I was a coder, I will quickly develop a good free app for iPad. Once my app become popular, I will have lots of ways to get benefits.

Don Kosak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Hilo, Hawaii
They work great on the iPad. I was surprised at how well some of the games I had looked on the iPad (even in 2x mode.)

They run faster too, thanks to the faster processor in the iPad.

Overall, iPhone apps look and perform better on an iPad than they do on an iPhone. Native apps are even more impressive.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
90% of what I've d/led has been free apps. There is some good stuff there. Most of the paid apps I've seen seem overpriced and looks like prices are already starting to fall to earth. .99 is ridiculously cheap, but $9.99 for most of the apps is stupidly expensive too.

For example, I wanted Scrabble, but $9.99 is just a turn off. The actual board game can be had for less, and more to the point the iPhone version is like $3. I'd pay $5, but $10 for a few more pixels, c'mon. It's not like EA had to pay for those pixels -- the iPad owners did. It seems developers are letting the "HD" moniker go to their head. There is a difference b/t HD media and HD games -- HD media actually costs more to produce.

Check out http://appshopper.com

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I had about 250 apps on my iPod touch when it crashed. I decided to weed out the junk and only put back the apps I really use. I hated sitting through daily updates caused by having so many apps. Don't. E shy about deleting apps you don't use. They take space and waste time doing updates. I have more free than paid apps on the iPad mostly due to cost. I have deleted a couple and I even delete pay apps and give em one star if they stink. It they are decent quality but I just don't need them, I simply don't rate them.

ClaireL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2010
New Jersey
90% of what I've d/led has been free apps. There is some good stuff there. Most of the paid apps I've seen seem overpriced and looks like prices are already starting to fall to earth. .99 is ridiculously cheap, but $9.99 for most of the apps is stupidly expensive too.

For example, I wanted Scrabble, but $9.99 is just a turn off. The actual board game can be had for less, and more to the point the iPhone version is like $3. I'd pay $5, but $10 for a few more pixels, c'mon. It's not like EA had to pay for those pixels -- the iPad owners did. It seems developers are letting the "HD" moniker go to their head. There is a difference b/t HD media and HD games -- HD media actually costs more to produce.

Are you actually serious?! Developers have to feed their families and pay their bills like anyone else. Think about how much those same games would cost on the PSP and Dsi and realize that the price complaint IMHO is short sighted and unrealistic.

Yes, some of the iPad apps do seem "high" but let's put things into perspective. If Zenonia 2 HD suddenly came out with improved gameplay and new features for $9.99, heck yeah I would buy it in a second! We are all have different opinions on what we personally feel are reasonable prices and price gouging. I paid $14.pp for Need for Speed Shift for iPad and it's worth every penny to me but may not be to you. You know? :)

secondcup

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2008
For example, I wanted Scrabble, but $9.99 is just a turn off. The actual board game can be had for less, and more to the point the iPhone version is like $3. I'd pay $5, but $10 for a few more pixels, c'mon.

Hey Chupa,

My point exactly, why should we pay more for the same content on a new device. In theory, we are getting the same experience as iPhone/Touch users, but are paying more because the iPad has a higher resolution. If the iPad version of the app adds nothing other than a higher resolution, then it should be price the same. The developers are gaining a new audience with the iPad. Therefore they are not losing out on development costs because they are increasing their market share.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.