Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bkmoore773

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2022
I purchased the Freefall (Orbit) Screensaver version 1.0 back in October 2004, and still have the email receipt with the activation code. Unfortunately, I am not able to locate version 1.0 anywhere on the archive sites, and the code I have does not work with version 2.x. This software appears to be no longer supported by the original developer, and is abandonware. Does anyone know where I could find version 1.0? Or have a code for 2.x? This is a pretty cool little program to run on PPC macs. It basically runs a real-time simulation of satellites orbiting the Earth, and was featured at WWDC 2004.

Cancelled
Aug 24, 2023
Yeah I have it somewhere….I was there in 2004 it was the keynote where they introduced tiger and the cinema displays. I have the demo disc and beta for tiger somewhere give me a few and ill try to find it….however I don’t think the wwdc demo versions lets use version 1 serial number if I remember correctly it was a beta and there was a set trial period….I think it was 60 or 90 days….

f54da

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2021
I think it'd be morally ok to bypass the license restriction yourself, if a license for 2.x is no longer purchaseable.

eastone

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2014
Vaasa
I purchased the Freefall (Orbit) Screensaver version 1.0 back in October 2004, and still have the email receipt with the activation code. Unfortunately, I am not able to locate version 1.0 anywhere on the archive sites, and the code I have does not work with version 2.x. This software appears to be no longer supported by the original developer, and is abandonware. Does anyone know where I could find version 1.0? Or have a code for 2.x? This is a pretty cool little program to run on PPC macs. It basically runs a real-time simulation of satellites orbiting the Earth, and was featured at WWDC 2004.
I found this file on my hard drive. It's actually not version 1.0 but at least 1.x :)
Is this what you're looking for?

PS
Installer includes screensaver v1.0

Last edited:

bkmoore773

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2022
OK, I got 1.2 from Macintosh Garden. Unfortunately the email invoice I have from 2004 doesn't contain a valid code.
c'est la vie.

----------------------------------

Brian:

Thank you for ordering from XtremeMac!

Your order was received on 10/10/2004.

Your Reference Number is: 20805.

The items that you ordered and their expected ship dates are listed below.

The shipping method is: Electronic Download - No Charge.

===================================================================
(1) SW-FFS-100L Freefall (Serial Number) Ship Date: Monday, October 11, 2004

Thank you SO much for your order! Please visit our website again soon!

If you should have any questions or concerns about your order or any other matter, please feel free to contact me.

Best regards,

Jackie Myers
Customer Service Manager
XtremeMac
-------------------------------------------------------
Corporate Headquarters:
15751 SW 41st Street
Suite 100
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33331
Corporate: (954) 385-9877
Toll Free Sales: (866) 392-9800
Fax: (954) 385-9320
Email: JACKIE@XTREMEMAC.COM
XtremeMac
for your Digital Lifestyle
http://www.XtremeMac.com
NOTE: This electronic mail transmission contains information from XtremeMac which is confidential and/or proprietary. The information contained herein is intended solely for the use of the individual(s) or entity(ies) identified as the recipient(s) hereof. If you are not an intended recipient, be aware that any interception, disclosure, copying, distribution or other use of the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please refrain from reading its contents (including any attachments hereto) and notify us Toll Free by telephone (1-866-392-9800) or e-mail (Jackie@xtrememac.com).

eastone

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2014
Vaasa
OK, I got 1.2 from Macintosh Garden. Unfortunately the email invoice I have from 2004 doesn't contain a valid code.
c'est la vie.

----------------------------------

Brian:

Thank you for ordering from XtremeMac!

Your order was received on 10/10/2004.

Your Reference Number is: 20805.

The items that you ordered and their expected ship dates are listed below.

The shipping method is: Electronic Download - No Charge.

(1) SW-FFS-100L Freefall (Serial Number) Ship Date: Monday, October 11, 2004

Thank you SO much for your order! Please visit our website again soon!

If you should have any questions or concerns about your order or any other matter, please feel free to contact me.

Best regards,

Jackie Myers
Customer Service Manager
XtremeMac
Corporate Headquarters:
15751 SW 41st Street
Suite 100
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33331
Corporate: (954) 385-9877
Toll Free Sales: (866) 392-9800
Fax: (954) 385-9320
Email: JACKIE@XTREMEMAC.COM
XtremeMac
for your Digital Lifestyle
http://www.XtremeMac.com
NOTE: This electronic mail transmission contains information from XtremeMac which is confidential and/or proprietary. The information contained herein is intended solely for the use of the individual(s) or entity(ies) identified as the recipient(s) hereof. If you are not an intended recipient, be aware that any interception, disclosure, copying, distribution or other use of the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please refrain from reading its contents (including any attachments hereto) and notify us Toll Free by telephone (1-866-392-9800) or e-mail (Jackie@xtrememac.com).
Ask this man for help:
I believe he can help you :) He is very kind guy :)

Reactions: bkmoore773

bkmoore773

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2022
On the advice from a member here, I got in touch with Macintosh Garden member siddhartha77, and he created a cracked PPC executable for me. He does not have a PowerPC OS X development environment, so he sent me the binary for testing. I tested it on my DualCore Powermac G5 running both Sorbet Leopard and 10.4.11 Tiger. It works and does not require a serial number for full activation. With Sidd's permission, I posted the no-serial binary on Macintosh Garden, for everyone's enjoyment.

Reactions: eastone

bkmoore773

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2022
Another quick update. I was able to update the satellite data, so the simulation can run in real time in 2023. The built-in update function using Space-Track.org no longer works. I was able to download current TLE data here: https://celestrak.org/NORAD/elements/ Save the data into a text file with a .TLE extension. Then under preferences select import. A new window will open. Delete all the old satellite data from 2005, you won't be needing that. Then use the + button, you can select a file with your TLE data. You'll probably get an import error, "Not all satellites imported successfully. This version of Freefall is limited to 1024 satellites." But you're simulation will have 1024 current satellites in 2023 and you can see a real-time image of what's overhead. I used the TLE file "Active Satellites", so there's more than 1024 active satellites in 2023.

I had a fun time bringing this app back from the dead. It's fun to run with Pink Floyd playing in the background... :) I don't think there's an equivalent app on modern Macintosh. I hope a few others are able to enjoy this very cool app too.

Picture 2.png

Cancelled
Aug 24, 2023
Nice it still blows my mind how many starlink satellites space x has deployed in the last year…

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.