Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Trying to find online jobs for freelance graphic designers like Elance and Upwork. Are there any others as good or even better?

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Well I've seen clients that are not cheap but in general terms I understand what you mean.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
So in general it would be safe to say that a designer can't find a good way to make a living online?

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
So in general it would be safe to say that a designer can't find a good way to make a living online?

If you live in a place with a high cost of living like the US online work will generally be too low paying. Fiverr's business model originally was that everything cost 5 dollars, I don't know if it still is but you could make more money standing on a corner with a cardboard sign. Also remember that just because a client is low paying doesn't mean they aren't going to make demands like they are paying full price. I would avoid them like the plague.

Reactions: zoran

JoelTheSuperior

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2014
You certainly can make a good living online but you have to really rely on the quality of your work and people willing to pay for that quality.

If you use the typical freelance sites, odds are you're going to lose out to whoever bids to do the work for less money than you, and that's typically going to be people from countries where the cost of living is substantially lower and therefore they can afford to do the work for a lot less.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Hmm, yes i understand what you are all saying. So for a designer that lives in high cost of life conditions, which would be the way to go for working online? How can I begin?

lucidmedia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2008
Wellington, New Zealand
Hmm, yes i understand what you are all saying. So for a designer that lives in high cost of life conditions, which would be the way to go for working online? How can I begin?

Design work, like most work, is about personal connections. The key to sustainable freelance is to build long term relationships with clients based on trust, strong work ethics, and strong design work. Location in this equation is less important. All of the clients that pay my bills are over 8000 miles away from where I choose to live. With Slack, Skype and other such tools distance is rarely a problem. For projects where my presence is needed, the cost of travel is embedded in the project.

A designer can never compete on price. That is (as said above) a race to the bottom and devalues the entire industry. You compete on the quality of your work and your ability to get the job done. What it takes too many designers too long to realize is that charging more gets you better projects, increased client trust and more freedom. You want your client to treat you like a collaborator, not an employee. That means you need to insure that your work is seen as having value.

Here is a link to a graphic which shows how to set your freelance rate: http://blog.creativelive.com/how-to-calculate-freelance-hourly-rate-infographic/

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Thank you lucidmedia for the most helpful words given from experience and kindness (I'm certain that you have both). Thanx again for being an example to our graphic design community!

cinder

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2004
Seattle
I totally agree with all of the comments above.

I've historically been a extremely strong opposer of sites like these . . .

However . . . now, in my life, being older married with kids and a good paying corporate design job, I want something extremely low maintenance to make extra cash. I don't want to spend time talking to anyone and I want to work on my own schedule and at my own pace.

I'm considering designing a suite of logos just to sell online.
Ben Pieratt did this a few years back and sold his logo/brand successfully.
http://hessian.tv/

The difficult part is setting up a 'store' and marketing it publicly.
Still, i'm very interested in this concept of selling a logo/brand system as a product.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.