Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SteveSparks

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
St. Louis, MO.
Freescale gets it right with simple tablet, will Apple?.. Microsoft, HP and Lenovo didn’t again.
What makes a table appeal to people is very simple:
• It’s flat,
• It’s Easy to read, because it can be held at various angles
• It’s more like a book than a computer
• IT IS EASY TO USE
What makes a tablet unsuccessful is
1. Poor input methods
2. Slow on/off time
3. Bloated operating systems
4. Slow response
5. Horrible battery life
What makes a tablet work is the same thing that makes cell phones, old school PDA devices and the iPhone a success are: (the single most important feature is #1. )
1. Instant on – This is a must, no one wants to wait for resume, sleep more and no one wants Windows booting slowly on a device that is supposed to make your life asier and give you access to information at “your fingertips”

2. Good performance – Who wants to wait to open applications, wait to do something that you can do on your net book. If you needed small and were willing to wait for a system, then a simple net book that cost you $199 is more than enough.

3. Good battery life – It needs to last most of the day, at lease 8-10 hours. If all you needed was good battery then you can get lots of small systems for cheap that have good battery, without #1 its another net book running a restricted version of Windows 7

4. Multitouch interface – Needs to work like the iPhone, anything less is going to be a disappointment. Love the iPhone, hate the iPhone, its all about the user interface. Apple is the gold standard, the question is did they do it right, because the onl

5. Applications – You need a good selection of applications, they don’t need to be Microsoft but they also should not be “packages” that are hard to install and manage. While “jailbreakers” are cool and have fun applications, it’s the smooth retail transaction that sets up apple to be a success.

6. Good Connectivity - 802.11n, Bluetooth, and 3G (optional) – Everything needs Wifi. Its just part of being a computing device.

7. External Storage – you need more storage for optional data. The iPhone got this wrong but its got other things that make up for the issue such as apps, multitouch etc.

The unknow options is

8. Portability / Size – The system needs to be easy to take from place to place, so it needs to be small enough to carry but big enough to use. This is tricky. This is the only fact where I am not 100% sure what is the right answer. I can tell you that the tablets I’ve seen even the Netbook Tablets are too big and too slow to work well.

Every tablet I have used (which is most of them) has been nothing less than a flat laptop with poor input methods, nothing more than an expensive device that has good vertical application but poor consumer appeal.

We shall see…

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
If the Freescale reference can be made to deliver on good battery life, it looks pretty good to me, too... Hopefully we'll see someone bring a nice rendition of this to market.

SteveSparks

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
St. Louis, MO.
If the Freescale reference can be made to deliver on good battery life, it looks pretty good to me, too... Hopefully we'll see someone bring a nice rendition of this to market.

What strikes me, is the possible use for modern education. I can provide a wireless network, and pdf versions of all my documentation much cheaper than I can providing people with photo copies of documents.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
What strikes me, is the possible use for modern education. I can provide a wireless network, and pdf versions of all my documentation much cheaper than I can providing people with photo copies of documents.

I think eBooks of some kind for the classroom will probably start to happen in greater quantities in the next 5-10 years... it's only a matter of time. Cost, flexibility (I think college students will like it once it has things like keyword searching), and even a carbon offset in some cases.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Freescale? Didn't know they had fan boys. LOL.

Their reference design probably includes a G4 processor. :D

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
I read from either Gizmodo or Engagdet that the tablet feels very "last generation"

Not saying its terrible, but for those looking for the "next big thing", this likely is not it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.