Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aduteau

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 14, 2007
Hey guys, any of you know it the "Frequent Locations" option that stores recent places and habits (for display in the Today tab of notification center) if all of this is only stored locally on the iPhone or if this info gets sync to iCloud ? I find the "Today tab" very usefull when I Finish work and it tells me how much time is needed to get home with trafic and all.

I ask this because iOS7 has been learning my daily routine of where I go since iOS7 has been released. It took a bit of time for it to make out my routine. If all this info is stored locally .... If I update to a new iPhone I have to start from scratch again to learn my routine ?

If not why not make it a Cloud feature like Google Now is doing ....??

Stuke00

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Collinsville,IL
Hey guys, any of you know it the "Frequent Locations" option that stores recent places and habits (for display in the Today tab of notification center) if all of this is only stored locally on the iPhone or if this info gets sync to iCloud ? I find the "Today tab" very usefull when I Finish work and it tells me how much time is needed to get home with trafic and all.

I ask this because iOS7 has been learning my daily routine of where I go since iOS7 has been released. It took a bit of time for it to make out my routine. If all this info is stored locally .... If I update to a new iPhone I have to start from scratch again to learn my routine ?

If not why not make it a Cloud feature like Google Now is doing ....??

It is local only

aduteau

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 14, 2007
wow ... everything else in the Today tab is cloud base ... all but Frequent Locations .... they really need to put this to the cloud too ....

Nothlit

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2009
It's a privacy concern. Remember a couple of years ago when people got all upset when they thought Apple was tracking people's locations? (Spoiler: they weren't.) But Apple rightly knows that if your frequent locations are stored on their servers, that is a huge target for law enforcement to come after for every little reason whenever they need to build a case against someone by proving that they were or weren't in a certain location at a certain time. I don't blame Apple for not wanting to get into that mess.

aduteau

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 14, 2007
It's a privacy concern. Remember a couple of years ago when people got all upset when they thought Apple was tracking people's locations? (Spoiler: they weren't.) But Apple rightly knows that if your frequent locations are stored on their servers, that is a huge target for law enforcement to come after for every little reason whenever they need to build a case against someone by proving that they were or weren't in a certain location at a certain time. I don't blame Apple for not wanting to get into that mess.

I dont see this as a concern with Google Now being server friendly with all that people do, search and go. They are doing even more server side data collecting and no one seems to care !

ISHOEJ

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2015
Does any one know how frequent locations get registered. ???example i visited A and B locations every day but I can only see A location under frequent locations why i cant see B location ??? And how long it take time to register locations under frequent locations? ? I cleared my frequent locations history on 17 august 2015 and on 19 of august 2015 location A get registered under frequent locations. ..does any one know what is the time delay to register new location if i visited 2 same locations every day in my case location A and B ???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.