Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anthony10006

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2021
Hi everyone,
I’m new here, recently i bought an imac g5 and received it with no os, everytime I’m on the recuperation menu. There is an option to reinstall Lion but i don’t have it on my icloud account (the os is free from june but impossible to add to my account. Thanks Apple) so i want to do a fresh install of lion on it with a bootable usb key if someone can help me. Thanks :)
My imac is this one : https://everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac-core-2-duo-2.16-20-inch-specs.html (core 2 duo 2,16 ghz. I upgraded it to 2 gb of ram.)

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
You threw me off with the "iMac G5". The G5 is a PPC CPU, and can't upgrade beyond Leopard.
You have an Intel iMac.
I don't understand what you mean by "I don't have it on my icloud account."
All you need to do is download the Lion installer app from Apple here
You can open that InstallMacOSX.dmg. Then open the resulting InstallMacOSX.pkg - which copies the Lion installer app, with all its included files to the Applications folder. The install for the app will not proceed on a Mac that does not support Lion.
You could install Snow Leopard first, then get the installer for Lion later.

anthony10006

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2021
You threw me off with the "iMac G5". The G5 is a PPC CPU, and can't upgrade beyond Leopard.
You have an Intel iMac.
I don't understand what you mean by "I don't have it on my icloud account."
All you need to do is download the Lion installer app from Apple here
You can open that InstallMacOSX.dmg. Then open the resulting InstallMacOSX.pkg - which copies the Lion installer app, with all its included files to the Applications folder. The install for the app will not proceed on a Mac that does not support Lion.
You could install Snow Leopard first, then get the installer for Lion later.
On everymac, it says the max os is Lion if ram is upgraded to 2 GB. I mean that before, you could buy it on the mac apple store and have it in your purchase but now, it’s impossible. Also i said i can’t install it directly because there is no OS on the imac

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
OK, I understand what you meant about the App Store.
But, since June, the Lion full installer can be easily downloaded (it's free!) from Apple support, the App Store is no longer necessary (same with Mountain Lion 10.8.5)
Yes, you do need a bootable installer for Lion. It's a little tricky if you don't have another Mac to create the bootable installer. You don't NEED a Mac that supports Lion to create the installer, but it is simpler when you do have a supported Mac to use. (I make installers all the time, (multiple times a week) and keep a 2008 iMac that often gets used to help out with that kind of task for the various older Macs I see from week to week

If you really just want a Lion installer, on a bootable USB stick (and no way to make one yourself) - search around.

anthony10006

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2021
Ok, thanks for the reply. I don’t care about spending time creating it. I have an imac on catalina or another on el capitan if necessary. So i would be interested for help on how to create bootable usb key for lion and how to install it on the pc. Thanks

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Can your El Capitan Mac boot to Lion? If you don't know for sure, come back with which model of Mac that has El Capitan, and we'll try to sort that out, and if it supports booting from Lion, I can give you the steps you need to use to make a bootable Lion USB installer.

Reactions: anthony10006

anthony10006

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2021
It is an imac 24 inch, 2,93 ghz from early 2009. But it was painful to install el Capitan on it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.