Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 14, 2008
UK
This may be a daft question.
If I want to do a clean install of HS on a new drive, but have a non EFI gpu, how do you select the new drive to install onto, (do i need to create an installer on a usb).
Previously I have just upgraded from the app store.

I could install from my SL dvd then use the app store to upgrade, but have no way to select the boot volume!

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
What’s your current OS now? And which GPU you are using. Non EFI GPU is not a problem at all. As long as it’s a OOTB GPU, you can easily make a clean OS installation via recovery partition (Hold Command + R during boot).

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 14, 2008
UK
I am on Sierra with a Sapphire RX580 pulse.
Using the recovery partition where would the HS download need to be, or do you dl it from the recovery partition (have never been in that part of the system)

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I am on Sierra with a Sapphire RX580 pulse.
Using the recovery partition where would the HS download need to be, or do you dl it from the recovery partition (have never been in that part of the system)

RX580 should able to access 10.12.6's recovery partition. However, that should only allow to you install Sierra.

Since there is a firmware update this time, I highly suggest you can "upgrade" your OS to HS via appstore, that will upgrade the firmware and upgrade your recovery partition to support 10.13. Once finished, you can boot into HS recovery partition. Format your SSD / HDD, reinstall OS, whatever you want...

Kris Kelvin

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2005
Just run the macOS High Sierra installer. It will prompt you for a target drive on which to install and will automatically prepare that volume and boot from it to complete installation. The screen may be black for a while, but the install works fine and does not require a EFI GPU.

However, High Sierra on a cMP requires a firmware upgrade to MP51.0084.B00. The upgrade process is also initiated by the High Sierra installer if you don't have it already. Mac Pro firmware upgrades require a EFI GPU to be installed, or else the new firmware won't be applied.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 14, 2008
UK
Thanks thats useful info.
Is there a way to check my current firmware version?
I do still have my apple 5770 card if i need that.

Kris Kelvin

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2005
When you run the macOS High Sierra installer, it will tell you right away if you need the firmware upgrade.

The 5770 will do nicely for the firmware upgrade.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
My bad......:D

In any case, it's really good you kept your 5770. Just plop that puppy in and do the install. Having boot screens will make everything easier and it is a required step for the firmware update. After you are done, plop your 580 back in for its better performance. Continue to keep the 5770 in case you get into trouble where you need a boot screen.

Also, Apple's old method for firmware updates was a separate (and thus optional) install. But their new method for firmware updates is to include them in OS updates. Therefore you may need the 5770 again at any time if you want to keep your OS up to date.

Some people have not kept their EFI cards, which is a bad move. I think of an EFI GPU as a seat belt. You might not need it every day, and you might not need it for a very long time. But when the day comes that you need it, you'll really need it.

Reactions: LightBulbFun

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 14, 2008
UK
Revisiting this thread:
Could I put my apple 5770 in slot 3, and somehow get the extra power from the optical bay?
(Leaving my 580 in slot 1 using both 6 pin).

Also if this worked, would it be detected as an efi card, or does it need to be in slot 1 or 2.
I would prefer to leave the 5770 in, rather than have to swap all the time, and don't want to block the 580 fans by using slot 2.

DPUser

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2012
Rancho Bohemia, California
You shouldn't have to swap the GPUs "all the time" as the only time an EFI card is required is when EFi update is pushed by Apple, which will probably never again happen for Mac Pro 5,1s, as they will soon become unsupported "obsolete" products. So the swap is most likely once in, once out and done. Just sayin'.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Revisiting this thread:
Could I put my apple 5770 in slot 3, and somehow get the extra power from the optical bay?
(Leaving my 580 in slot 1 using both 6 pin).

Also if this worked, would it be detected as an efi card, or does it need to be in slot 1 or 2.
I would prefer to leave the 5770 in, rather than have to swap all the time, and don't want to block the 580 fans by using slot 2.

5770 in slot 3 will work fine, and it can provide boot screen.

The RX580 is not that power hunger from the 8pin. In fact, it's totally possible to power both 5770 and RX580 together by just dual mini 6pin. However, I recommend share the loading.

e.g.

dual mini 6pin -> single 8pin -> dual 6+2.

Then one of the 6+2 can power the 580. The other one power the 5770. In this case, no matter which card (or both card) draw power, always both mini 6pin working together to share the load.

The real world max loading may be a bit outside the official limit of the mini 6pin. However, this combination should able to always stay within the mini 6pin's actual power limit (since normal use won't run Furmark on both card at the same time, so I consider that's not a problem).

If you want to get power from SATA because you want everything stay within official limit. Then you need 2x SATA port to power a single 6pin.

Reactions: devon807

devon807

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2014
Virginia
i agree with h98, I left both in using dual mini 6 pin-> Single 8 pin to RX580, and removed the other 6 pin from the mini 6 pin to 8pin adapter and plugged it into the 5770. It worked great for basic stuff like troubleshooting.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 14, 2008
UK
Is there such a thing as a 'blank' pcie power card, which you could plug into a slot and get additional 75w from (I really need to keep my dvd drive connected)?

Another silly question: if I put my 5770 in slot 2/3 to do fw update by removing one 6 pin from the 580. If no displays are attached to the 580 will it be ok with one 6 pin temporarily while I update.
Will it do much with nothing attached to it.

Reason is, it was a bit of a pig to get in, and don't want to put excess wear n tear on the slot/card (especially as they are like gold dust).

Also does the fw update change anything that may 'break' hw or software that currently works fine?

Last edited:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Is there such a thing as a 'blank' pcie power card, which you could plug into a slot and get additional 75w from (I really need to keep my dvd drive connected)?

Another silly question: if I put my 5770 in slot 2/3 to do fw update by removing one 6 pin from the 580. If no displays are attached to the 580 will it be ok with one 6 pin temporarily while I update.
Will it do much with nothing attached to it.

Reason is, it was a bit of a pig to get in, and don't want to put excess wear n tear on the slot/card (especially as they are like gold dust).

Also does the fw update change anything that may 'break' hw or software that currently works fine?

Sure you can run the RX580 with single mini 6pin -> single 8pin at low demand.

If you don't want to put extra wear to the slot / card, why keep the 5770 in there? TBH, apart from firmware upgrade, boot screen is really not that necessary in daily use.

AFAIK, the firmware upgrade only add APFS bootability, no more, and no less. So, it won't "break" any current supported hardware.

And I haven't seen a PCIe slot -> 6pin adaptor yet.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 14, 2008
UK
Thats cool, there will be no displays connected to the 580, while I update the fw using the 5770 in slot 3.
Once updated I will be removing the 5770. This way I can leave the 580 in place and just pull the 6 pin :)

Next question: is there an option to NOT update the file system on an ssd.
I was planning on upgrading a vanilla sierra on a secondary hdd first, just to check how it is, and then update my main ssd. I am a bit dubious though with a file system change, as this drive has tons of stuff on it and has been upgraded SL>Yos>ElCap>Sierra (and it is cloned to a backup if all goes wrong).

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Thats cool, there will be no displays connected to the 580, while I update the fw using the 5770 in slot 3.
Once updated I will be removing the 5770. This way I can leave the 580 in place and just pull the 6 pin :)

Next question: is there an option to NOT update the file system on an ssd.
I was planning on upgrading a vanilla sierra on a secondary hdd first, just to check how it is, and then update my main ssd. I am a bit dubious though with a file system change, as this drive has tons of stuff on it and has been upgraded SL>Yos>ElCap>Sierra (and it is cloned to a backup if all goes wrong).

AFAIK, no. If you really want HS in SSD with HFS+. You may need to install HS onto a HDD first, and then clone it back to SSD.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 14, 2008
UK
Reading on the apple forums, there seem to be a lot of people having problems with the fw update in 2010 mp!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.