Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DanGoh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 6, 2014
So every 6 months I delete everything on my iPhone (after moving pictures and everything to my Mac of course) and fresh install the latest OS by going to iTunes on my Mac and "restoring as new". The problem is I don't want to update my phone which is on 10.3.3 to iOS 11 because of the issues it's been having.

Will reseting on my iPhone by going to: Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings, give me the same result as restoring via iTunes?

TechNismo

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2017
6ix
So every 6 months I delete everything on my iPhone (after moving pictures and everything to my Mac of course) and fresh install the latest OS by going to iTunes on my Mac and "restoring as new". The problem is I don't want to update my phone which is on 10.3.3 to iOS 11 because of the issues it's been having.

Will reseting on my iPhone by going to: Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings, give me the same result as restoring via iTunes?
1. Why do you restore every 6 months?
2. Doing a setting restore is NOT the same as doing a complete factory restore via iTunes. Setting restore just erases network contacts, contacts and etc. It does not put a fresh version of iOS on your phone.
3. When you restore, do you usually put your back-up back after restoring as new via iTunes or iCloud?

Last edited:

DanGoh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 6, 2014
1. Why do you restore every 6 months?
2. Doing a setting restore is NOT the same as doing a complete factory restore via iTunes. Setting restore just erases network contacts, contacts and etc. It does not put a fresh version of iOS on your phone.
3. When you restore, do you usually put your back-up back after restoring as new via iTunes or iCloud?

1. I feel it slows down over time.

2. That's what I figured :(

3. Just start restore and set up as new. I don't put the back-up back on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.