Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rympy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
I performed an upgrade to tiger on my powerbook G4 shortly after the realease date. I later found out the better way to do it would have been an archive & install.
I do not have my copy of tiger anymore so that option wasn't possible after the fact.

I noticed immediately after upgrading that my apps are running slower than they were with panther especially garageband, which i use the most.

My friend just bought a brand new powerbook G4 and my question is:
Can I use the OSX install discs that came with his powerbook to reinstall tiger and all the apps? If so, How do i do it without losing all my stuff.
(Since he actually got iLife '05 and i am still running iLife '04, i would love to have garageband 2 and iPhoto as well .. )

My idea was to backup all my stuff using backup 3 or just relocate all my files to my external HD and then somehow format the computer and insert the install discs ..

Does it make sense? Im just spitballin' here and I m not really sure if this is possible.
Any suggestions, comments, directions would be appreciated (other than me trying to get my original tiger disc back.... )
Thanks

Powerbook G4 1.25Ghz 80GB 1.24GB ram

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Sorry, to make a clean install of Tiger you need some sort of Tiger install disk(s). It seems your PowerBook came with Panther, and those disks will, of course, still install Panther on your 'Book if you use them to do a clean install.

So, get a copy of Tiger (you might even find someone selling it on eBay or similar places), backup your data and go for the clean install.

It's the same with iLife. If your Mac came with iLife 04 you can use your old software restore disks to install iLife 04, even after you've installed Tiger. But if you want iLife 05 you'll have to purchase that, too. And remember iLife is not a part of Mac OS X, so it is not bundled with Tiger, but it is very reasonable priced, especially for students. (Don't know if that applies to you, but still...)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.