Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
Hey so i installed fring and successfully added the skype from the list. I logged into skype from there, all good.

But then whenever i try to make a call via skype it doesn't work at all and just says "call terminated". Not even the skype test call works!

And yes of course the wi-fi is activated.

What's going on? Anyone else with same issue?

Digipimp

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2003
Texas
with skype they say it can take up to 5 minutes to fully log you in. so after you open the program you need to wait at least 2 or 3 minutes before trying to make a skype call because it wont work immediately even though the skype button is lit up.

MBX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
with skype they say it can take up to 5 minutes to fully log you in. so after you open the program you need to wait at least 2 or 3 minutes before trying to make a skype call because it wont work immediately even though the skype button is lit up.

Wow that's retarded. You have to wait few min's to load skype to make a call. Which means you need to keep the app open with display on (draining battery while waiting for it), **** that.

Why?

Anybody know if skype will release a skype-app for iphone?

Digipimp

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2003
Texas
Wow that's retarded. You have to wait few min's to load skype to make a call. Which means you need to keep the app open with display on (draining battery while waiting for it), **** that.

Why?

Anybody know if skype will release a skype-app for iphone?

you can keep the app open and just sleep your phone for a few minutes and it will load up while the phone display is off. the delay is like 4 to 5 seconds when using it though. im using the pennytel voip app personally.

rioja

macrumors regular
May 19, 2008
Skype doesn't work at all. Don't waste your time and get frustrated with this app until they fix it.

If you look at the fring forums you'll there see threads on this with a bunch of workarounds that don't even work.

On paper fring sounds like a killer app, in theory, it's far from it.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
Skype doesn't work at all.
It works, just not very intuitively. Skype to Skype isn't too bad, except you cannot add buddies from within Fring. SkypeOut works, but you must include the country code (+1 in US). You can add the "+" by holding down "0". If you are dialing from the contact list, you will need to edit the number before dialing out.

I'm surprised that the developer released it in it's current state (maybe they were just testing Apples approval process before spending too much time on it). The app is too rough around the edges at this point to recommend.

(for the record, Fring logs into Skype pretty quickly for me. Once the progress wheel stops spinning, I can dial out. This takes under 10 seconds. However, it does take a while before the Skype contacts are updated within Fring)

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Well as others have said it works… sort of.

I suppose since it is free we can cut the developers some slack, but right now it is unusable as a reliable app.

mrswilson

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2008
"Voice Not Available"

When trying to call using Fring and Skype out I get the following error. "Voice not available with 3G connection type". I have turned off 3G and used Edge and Wi-Fi with no success. Any hints??

speedracer3000

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2008
I check skype's forum from time to time and no one can tell if skype is even working on the app for iphone, when there are so many people demanding it
it's a shame because they are leaving people no choice but to take their money to other voip services
as for fring, it's just not a stable app right now for skype. It does work at times and the call quality is decent (with some delay at the other end). I had better success with Gtalk, at least the buddy status is more accurate and the call quality seems better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.