Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ediks

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 17, 2015
Is there anyone who uprgraded from the 13 pro to the 15 pro? what are you experiences with the phone? hows the battery life compared to the 13? and what about the camera? is there a noticeable improvement?

Reactions: Flyer2308 and BigDO

xxBlack

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2020
I switched.

The phone is way lighter and smaller. It feels so much better in the hands like the 13P now feels like a brick, the nat titanium looks so beautiful with the brush sides. I love the dynamic island.

Battery is tricky. When I compared battery screens from launch day 13P it appears to be the same but have to check the upcoming week when I’m back at work because in the last months I had to charge the 13P during lunch and it even then it got sometimes back to 10% at 8 pm.

Currently 3,5h SOT with 53% left and also played music over 2h and used smartgym with live activity in the gym. 30 min were streamed to HomePods. Rest downloaded music to AirPods Pro.

Couldn’t test the camera but HDR seems to be very improved.

xxBlack

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2020
Also would like to hear from people who switched. Mine is on the way, and if it’s really smaller and lighter with the same battery life that’s great news.

It’s now so small that i want apple to increase it to 6,3“ haha. I don’t want the Max size but it’s now really small.

But I think the way it feels in the hand etc best iPhone I have ever owned

Reactions: super chimp

Zayway86

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2023
Is there anyone who uprgraded from the 13 pro to the 15 pro? what are you experiences with the phone? hows the battery life compared to the 13? and what about the camera? is there a noticeable improvement?
This review may be helpful. Based on my own experience, the 13P has better battery performance. FWIW, I have seen some others say they are happy with the 15P battery.

Conan86

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2012
Singapore
The device is much better to handle and I can almost comfortably use it using one hand for surfing. It even feels more comfortable in pocket unlike the piece of brick that it has been.. the smaller dimensions coupled with curved edges really works for me.

Scrolling of webpages feels somewhat smoother, action button is nifty because it calls up the function you really need without the need to have multiple actions..

Camera performance is really debatable.. I haven’t found a situation that I can firmly say that my 13 PM couldn’t have performed as well.. in fact I think 13 PM might still have faster shutter and night performance based on the larger aperture.. 3x zoom vs 5x zoom is really not substantial enough and no wow factor.. no doubt with longer usage there be a chance to run into a situation where I’ll appreciate having the 15 PM camera instead of 13 PM, but I firmly believe it’ll be hard to come by.. that being said, having the ability to adjust a photo to turn it into portrait mode is neat.

The dynamic island is meh.. I find it causes more obstruction and unnecessary relearning of like how to use the scroll to top, scrolling down for notification, etc.. the weirdest part is that the dynamic island cutout is even there when you slide down for reachability lol..

All in all, I think it hasn’t improved leaps and bounds feature wise, but ergonomic wise it wins hands down and makes a good quality of life upgrade

Edit: realised the topic is not for Pro Max, so the 3x vs 5x isn’t relevant. But this by itself did make me seriously consider going down to non-Max model as well.. I’ve always liked smaller phone for one handed use, and I can say 15 PM kinda hits the spot, but 15 Pro will be a whole lot more comfortable to use as it is so much smaller and lighter now

Reactions: ediks

GeneticBloom

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2009
California
I did. The 15 Pro feels much better in the hand, especially without a case. I am using it with the FW case and it still feels much better than the 13 Pro. It is noticeably lighter.

Screen is better also, I noticed right away it is less warm than my old phone. I don’t notice a huge difference in the cameras but portrait mode definitely does a better job. I was looking forward to the dynamic island and I still like the way that it looks over the notch, but it is just kind of whatever. I don’t like how it populates with the shows I am watching on the Apple TV.

ediks

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 17, 2015
thank you for your answers, i was decided to upgrade but this video left me very concerned

+ the heating issues discussed on twitter

Reactions: chfilm

GeneticBloom

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2009
California
I don’t think any battery comparisons are fair yet. It’s only been released for one full day now. It takes some time to get a feel for battery and many were likely using it more after getting it the first day. I’d wait a few weeks before making a judgement on battery life.

xxBlack

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2020
just had heat while setting up the phone. Don't have any problems with my usage. but I don't play games beside clash of clans and clash royal.

zach-coleman

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2022
I went from a 13P to 15P and I really like it so far. Better weight, camera is significantly better, video zoom in smoother, auto portraits are nice, love the dynamic island & AoD. gets super bright outdoors and so far I haven't seen the screen dim due to overheating like my 13P did constantly. Battery life feels about the same, which might be a bad omen since my 13P was on 84% battery health.

karen999

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2012
I don’t think any battery comparisons are fair yet. It’s only been released for one full day now. It takes some time to get a feel for battery and many were likely using it more after getting it the first day. I’d wait a few weeks before making a judgement on battery life.
You understand that those Youtubers has had the new phone for several weeks by now right? Not like they just got the phone like the rest of us.

Zaydax333

macrumors member
May 25, 2021
thank you for your answers, i was decided to upgrade but this video left me very concerned

+ the heating issues discussed on twitter
My personal experience/response to the original post:

I went from Blue 13Pro to Blue 15 Pro.

Haven't had any overheating. Got a little warm during the transfer stuff but that's it. No overheating in pokemon go either.

Of course I'm only on day 3 here and my 13 Pro was at 87% battery capacity but battery life is definitely a bit better so far.

They definitely traded perf for battery improvements. But I gotta say, this is the smoothest/fastest phone I've EVER used, by a large margin. Everything is lightning fast (pun intended).

Response to the video:

Absolutely **** off to the the general consensus response regarding the 15 Pro's result in this video quite frankly.

I feel like people are taking the wrong message from this. Just because it's second to last. Doesn't mean it's battery performance is bad! It still lasted for 9 HOURS AND 20 MINUTES of screen on time. It looks bad because of the other scores, it's like an illusion.

You really planning on using more than 9 hours an 20 minutes of screen on time in a day? I mean people who are, they know who they are and they'll get the max. But don't let this video skew your perception of the battery life.

Do you have chargers accessible to you throughout the day, like in the car, at work desk, at night? Really just consider your use case and charging habits and access before you think "but battery life?!"

Side note: It does suck that he didn't put the 13 Pro in here, but lets cut him some slack he is testing several phones for several hours straight already.

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
It’s now so small that i want apple to increase it to 6,3“ haha. I don’t want the Max size but it’s now really small.

But I think the way it feels in the hand etc best iPhone I have ever owned

Looking at the dimensions doesn’t seem that much of a change, but I know that the actual feel can belie the numbers. I’m seriously getting amped now because the only thing that I don’t like about the 13P is the sharp edges, weight and the fact that it is slightly bigger than the 5.8” phones (which to me were the *perfect* size).

MattNetherlands

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2023
I have a 13 pro but switched to the PM for the 15 due to the greatly increase zoom. I’m excited to try out the bigger screen and battery for once, but the 13 pro is an amazing device and I’ll miss it. Still at 93% battery and I bought it launch day 2021. Best phone I’ve ever had, new one will have a lot to live up to. It’s suppose to come in through Verizon in early October.

ediks

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 17, 2015
I have a 13 pro but switched to the PM for the 15 due to the greatly increase zoom. I’m excited to try out the bigger screen and battery for once, but the 13 pro is an amazing device and I’ll miss it. Still at 93% battery and I bought it launch day 2021. Best phone I’ve ever had, new one will have a lot to live up to. It’s suppose to come in through Verizon in early October.
i bought mine launch day too, but its already at 86% battery health (using the 5W charger only), so i hope the 15 pro doesnt suffer this fast too

Zaydax333

macrumors member
May 25, 2021
i bought mine launch day too, but its already at 86% battery health (using the 5W charger only), so i hope the 15 pro doesnt suffer this fast too
Oh really? I used MagSafe every night on the nightstand so I thought that’s why it was like that.

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012

Fast? That’s two years of use , and still >80%. Pretty damn good if you ask me.

Reactions: zach-coleman

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
I went from 13pro to 15pro and I’m happy with the upgrade. The 15 pro is way more comfortable as already discussed. That was my biggest reason for switching because I always thought the 13pro got uncomfortable using one handed. Haven’t had any issues with 15pro and I’ve found I really love it without a case. I’m still trying to find one I like for certain occasions but I think I will mostly use the 15pro without a case.
The battery life on the 15 pro seems to be on par with the 13pro when it was new. After 2 years and the battery health at 87% the 13 wasn’t what it used to be.
Camera - it’s a small improvement but the 15 pro doesn’t do the crazy over sharpening that the 13pro does. The 24 mp images do have a bit more sharpness but you really have to zoom in to notice.
Dynamic island - I only really use it for getting back to the Apple TV remote quickly. It saves pulling down the control center so I like that.
AOD - pretty meh but it’s not bad. I could live without but I’m using it without a background right now and it’s nice to see the time and notifications. May turn it off at some point.

Reactions: ediks and BigDO

paapplefan

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2015
I switched from the 13P to the 15P too. Yes, enjoying that It’s lighter. Nicer in the pocket for dog walks. Also enjoying the always on display. The dynamic island is nice, but I haven't really gotten used to it yet. Oh, and I like the satellite for emergences, since I do some hiking in non cell phone areas. I'm happy, but honestly the 13P was such a well built phone. I would have kept it for another year or two, but I couldn’t refuse the trade in offer.

Last edited:
Reactions: ediks

ediks

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 17, 2015
I went from 13pro to 15pro and I’m happy with the upgrade. The 15 pro is way more comfortable as already discussed. That was my biggest reason for switching because I always thought the 13pro got uncomfortable using one handed. Haven’t had any issues with 15pro and I’ve found I really love it without a case. I’m still trying to find one I like for certain occasions but I think I will mostly use the 15pro without a case.
The battery life on the 15 pro seems to be on par with the 13pro when it was new. After 2 years and the battery health at 87% the 13 wasn’t what it used to be.
Camera - it’s a small improvement but the 15 pro doesn’t do the crazy over sharpening that the 13pro does. The 24 mp images do have a bit more sharpness but you really have to zoom in to notice.
Dynamic island - I only really use it for getting back to the Apple TV remote quickly. It saves pulling down the control center so I like that.
AOD - pretty meh but it’s not bad. I could live without but I’m using it without a background right now and it’s nice to see the time and notifications. May turn it off at some point.
im glad to hear the photo processing got better, the agressive smart hdr often ruins the photo completely for
me

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.