Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FreAk6767

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 27, 2008
Hi There,
I'm currently debating on making this move.

I bought my MacPro3,1 when it came out in 2008. (2xQuad xeon 2,8Ghz)
I since then installed an SSD of course, as well as 10Go of ram and a new video card to handle the 27" Cinema Display.

I knock on wood, but I've never had any issue with it to this day in 9 years! which statistically brings me closer to a possible failure everyday...ahahaha
Also, 10.11 will be the last macOS upgrade possible, and its bluetooth/wifi card won't allow new features to be possible (Apple Watch unlock, airdrop, etc)

My daily work is based around:
Editing photo/print on Photoshop CC and Illustrator CC
Very small video editing
Composing/recording on LogicPro
No gaming
And everything everyone do on a computer these days (iTunes, mail, safari, numbers, cal, reeder, transmit, photos)

So I may keep the Mac Pro no matter what decision (selling it today would not get me many $$, so might as well keep it as a server or 24/7 on machine).

I would like your input on upgrading from this MP2008, to a late 2016, MacBookPro 13" Touch bar, 512Go/8Go i5.

I'll be honest, I used to be a geek, and checked out geek bench and all, but these days I'm fairly lagging behind these things.

I, of course, made some online research, but nothing worth mentioning.

Would I see a nice increase for my use, or on the contrary a decline?

Thanks for your help, and any input you may have, always appreciate it.

Last edited:

FreAk6767

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 27, 2008
Damn, looks like I'm gonna have to stick with my MP2008 judging by the reaction

Mammut

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2015
Frankfurt, Germany
I mean, its very depending on you in the end. Are you missing things or performance at the moment? I think 9 years is a quite long time for a notebook. I for myself plan to replace my Late 2011 15" MacBook Pro by end of this year. Its still perfect for my work in photoshop and illustrator but I really miss the possibility to connect more than one external display. Performancewise its still perfect working for me.

Maybe the best option for you might: buy the device, check it out and if you like it you can keep it - otherwise return it during the 2 weeks return policy.

FreAk6767

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 27, 2008
I mean, its very depending on you in the end. Are you missing things or performance at the moment? I think 9 years is a quite long time for a notebook. I for myself plan to replace my Late 2011 15" MacBook Pro by end of this year. Its still perfect for my work in photoshop and illustrator but I really miss the possibility to connect more than one external display. Performancewise its still perfect working for me.

Maybe the best option for you might: buy the device, check it out and if you like it you can keep it - otherwise return it during the 2 weeks return policy.

Hey thanks for your reply, you are the 1st!
Just to clarify, 9 years is quite a long time, but it wasn't a notebook like you mentionned, but the Mac Pro 2xQuad Xeon (tower).

Like many here, I've spent the last few days reading watching everything I could possibly find on the subject, but I still haven't made any definitive decision (one way or another)
Grhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Mammut

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2015
Frankfurt, Germany
Hey thanks for your reply, you are the 1st!
Just to clarify, 9 years is quite a long time, but it wasn't a notebook like you mentionned, but the Mac Pro 2xQuad Xeon (tower).

Like many here, I've spent the last few days reading watching everything I could possibly find on the subject, but I still haven't made any definitive decision (one way or another)
Grhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
Oh, my mistake! Just flew over the headline and read "2008 MacBook Pro". Then its of course a though decision, since the Mac Pro is still a very capable machine! But I'd stick with my last statement - maybe you can just try it out. You have the opportunity to return the MacBook if you won't like it and you will really get an answer tailored to your personal situation!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.