Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DexBell

Suspended
Oct 23, 2016
My trusted iPhone 6S stopped working during the weekend and all of sudden I had no other option but to buy a new phone. I liked the old form factor, and settled on the 12 mini. I assume many people on this forum are updating the phones much more often, so I thought to write a few lines on what if feels like to fast-forward five years in the world of mobile phones.

My gut feeling is that the development has been surprisingly incremental. Feels like much smaller change than my last switch from iPhone 5 to 6s. Sure, this judgement comes from someone who mainly uses the phone for social media, messaging, occasional internet use and every now and then for some not-so-resource-hungy games. Sure, the viewpoint is very different than for someone who's playing more demanding games, doing video editing, or professional photography. On the other hand, I'm wondering who would be spending that much time on those activities on a phone, when computers, iPads and DSLRs are in many cases more convenient and better?

Anyway, here are some plusses and minuses when comparing 6S to 12 mini:

1) Screen size when compared to the size of the phone: the 12 mini screen is obviously bigger and better. However, in most of the time the difference is not really that significant. 12 mini is also more difficult to use with one hand, even with big hands. Overall: slight win to 12 mini.
2) Overall quality of the screen. Obviously better in 12 mini, but doesn't create any "wow" feelings.
3) UI. Slightly worse in 12 mini as there's no home button and the fingerprint sensor works in a higher number of situations than face ID (for example with a mask on). Although I'm pretty sure I'll get used to the new UI soon. Anyway, slight win to 6S.
4) Camera. Obviously by far the biggest improvement in 12 mini.
5) Processor. In normal social media etc. everything seems to be bit snappier, but 6S wasn't bad either in this regard. Slight win to 12 mini.
6) Sound quality. I can't spot any major improvements in everyday use, although didn't have a chance to test them side-by-side as the old phone broke down.

Overall, considering that I just spent almost 800 euros for a phone that's five years newer than my old one was, I'm surprised how incremental the evolution has been. Again, the comparison would sure have taken different direction if I would be using very resource-hungry apps or serious photography. But I'm not, and I assume most of the other users aren't either.

Despite of all the buzz in the annual product unveiling events, at least to me it seems that the industry has reached some kind of maturity, unless you're into specific use cases, such as resource-hungy apps, or for some reason use the phone for professional photography instead of a DSLR. What do you think?

p.s. Maybe I should add that I'm not disappointed in the change. I needed a new phone and generally the 12 mini either about equal or better in almost all respects. What surprised me was the incrementality of the change in normal use, except for the camera.
Should have saved a ton of money and got the SE 2020 instead. The mini is terribly overpriced for what it is.

Last edited:

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Should have saved a ton of money and got the SE 2020 instead. The mini is terribly overpriced for what it is.
Overpriced is relative. With companies like Samsung are resorting plastic on their baseline flagships, the fact that the 12 mini maintains glass metal materials and the exact same main camera and screen as even the 12 Pro, it's actually not bad for the price.

Now whether you think any phone is worth $700 or not, that's a different story. :D

DexBell

Suspended
Oct 23, 2016
Overpriced is relative. With companies like Samsung are resorting plastic on their baseline flagships, the fact that the 12 mini maintains glass metal materials and the exact same main camera and screen as even the 12 Pro, it's actually not bad for the price.

Now whether you think any phone is worth $700 or not, that's a different story. :D
Its overpriced, most would agree. Thats why its the worst selling iPhone 12 model. Should have been priced at $599, would have sold a ton.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
My trusted iPhone 6S stopped working during the weekend and all of sudden I had no other option but to buy a new phone. I liked the old form factor, and settled on the 12 mini. I assume many people on this forum are updating the phones much more often, so I thought to write a few lines on what if feels like to fast-forward five years in the world of mobile phones.

My gut feeling is that the development has been surprisingly incremental. Feels like much smaller change than my last switch from iPhone 5 to 6s. Sure, this judgement comes from someone who mainly uses the phone for social media, messaging, occasional internet use and every now and then for some not-so-resource-hungy games. Sure, the viewpoint is very different than for someone who's playing more demanding games, doing video editing, or professional photography. On the other hand, I'm wondering who would be spending that much time on those activities on a phone, when computers, iPads and DSLRs are in many cases more convenient and better?

Anyway, here are some plusses and minuses when comparing 6S to 12 mini:

1) Screen size when compared to the size of the phone: the 12 mini screen is obviously bigger and better. However, in most of the time the difference is not really that significant. 12 mini is also more difficult to use with one hand, even with big hands. Overall: slight win to 12 mini.
2) Overall quality of the screen. Obviously better in 12 mini, but doesn't create any "wow" feelings.
3) UI. Slightly worse in 12 mini as there's no home button and the fingerprint sensor works in a higher number of situations than face ID (for example with a mask on). Although I'm pretty sure I'll get used to the new UI soon. Anyway, slight win to 6S.
4) Camera. Obviously by far the biggest improvement in 12 mini.
5) Processor. In normal social media etc. everything seems to be bit snappier, but 6S wasn't bad either in this regard. Slight win to 12 mini.
6) Sound quality. I can't spot any major improvements in everyday use, although didn't have a chance to test them side-by-side as the old phone broke down.

Overall, considering that I just spent almost 800 euros for a phone that's five years newer than my old one was, I'm surprised how incremental the evolution has been. Again, the comparison would sure have taken different direction if I would be using very resource-hungry apps or serious photography. But I'm not, and I assume most of the other users aren't either.

Despite of all the buzz in the annual product unveiling events, at least to me it seems that the industry has reached some kind of maturity, unless you're into specific use cases, such as resource-hungy apps, or for some reason use the phone for professional photography instead of a DSLR. What do you think?

p.s. Maybe I should add that I'm not disappointed in the change. I needed a new phone and generally the 12 mini either about equal or better in almost all respects. What surprised me was the incrementality of the change in normal use, except for the camera.
I couldn’t agree more on this. Similarly, I also switched from 6s to SE2 last week. Despite the home button, I feel the same. But there is no other choices in my situation other than upgrading to the newer iPhone. It’s not apple’s fault but agree the technology (and UI) are already matured.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Its overpriced, most would agree. Thats why its the worst selling iPhone 12 model. Should have been priced at $599, would have sold a ton.
I don't see anybody here claiming the mini was overpriced. If you want cheap phone, don't buy the new phone. Show me what Samsung offers for the same price. They use plastic now.

The mini is not selling because most people don't want small phones. If it was overpriced, how can people then willing to pay more for the 12? It's exactly the same phone, other than larger and $100 more.

DexBell

Suspended
Oct 23, 2016
I don't see anybody here claiming the mini was overpriced. If you want cheap phone, don't buy the new phone. Show me what Samsung offers for the same price. They use plastic now.

The mini is not selling because most people don't want small phones. If it was overpriced, how can people then willing to pay more for the 12? It's exactly the same phone, other than larger and $100 more.
The SE 2020 was the 5th best selling phone in the world last year and Apple's 2nd biggest seller behind the iPhone 11. Plenty of people want smaller phones and would buy the Mini if it wasn't so overpriced.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
Interesting take.

Sound quality. iPhone 6 to iPhone 12 should be a massive difference. You mention you don't notice a big difference. How is that possible? The iPhone 6 series has a mono sound system with one speaker. While iPhone 12 has very loud stereo speakers. This should be immediately obvious with any YouTube video.

Speed. A9/2GB to A14/4GB should be a massive improvement. I notice a huge difference even moving two generations like A11 to A13.

FaceTime. You went from a 5MP front camera to 12MP. The quality difference is massive.

Smaller things like wireless charging and Tap to Wake.

I get the feeling you haven't used the iPhone 12 like most people would. Maybe it's because you've just had the weekend to use it?
Just few cents. In numbers yes, the difference is huge. But in term of experience (which depend also on personal usage), it is incremental.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
The SE 2020 was the 5th best selling phone in the world last year and Apple's 2nd biggest seller behind the iPhone 11. Plenty of people want smaller phones and would buy the Mini if it wasn't so overpriced.
Err, you just contradicted yourself, the fact that the iPhone 11 still outsells the SE despite being larger AND more expensive. And people got the SE simply because it's Apple's cheapest phone, not because of its size.

svanstrom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2002
??
My trusted iPhone 6S stopped working during the weekend and all of sudden I had no other option but to buy a new phone. I liked the old form factor, and settled on the 12 mini.
Loved to see your perspective, so thank you for sharing it; buuut… I'm honestly in this thread purely to hear your argument for going with a mini instead of the SE. :)

Shouldn't that have been the obvious path of upgrade for a user happy with a 6S?

Reactions: BigMcGuire

saber32au

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2019
I couldn’t agree more on this. Similarly, I also switched from 6s to SE2 last week. Despite the home button, I feel the same. But there is no other choices in my situation other than upgrading to the newer iPhone. It’s not apple’s fault but agree the technology (and UI) are already matured.

+1

Same feeling I got when I purchased an Iphone X and XS (both phones were returned within 14 days). In my opinion, iOS is essentially the same whether it's run on a FaceID equipped phone or an home button equipped phone. Yes, the newer phones are faster, take better quality photos, have louder speakers etc etc, but for me the core experience is still essentially the same.

macdogpro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2020
I went from 6 to 12 mini, and the difference is like you described, not a wow moment.

But the slightly smaller form factor, face ID, gesture home button (I like it far better than physical home button) and camera quality is enough to justify the upgrade, also even though my 6 is still working fine, the modern updated apps starting to chokes its performance. Often the battery went hot for just opening market place app, Uber like app or social media apps in general.

And contextual menu on the home icons is always a thing for me. I jailbroke my 6 just to get this feature several years ago.

What I’m hoping to get updated in the future Mini is in display touch ID and bigger battery capacity.

And yeah the speaker quality is even flatter compared to my 6. Sure it got dual speakers but the quality us just flat. Not that I rely on to it for listening music or watching videos.

powerbook911

macrumors 601
Mar 15, 2005
I honestly feel like you get the biggest wow when you step up screen sizes. Of course, if you don't want the screen size to be bigger, that's not an option.

I just moved from my X to 12 Pro Max and it felt like a pretty big deal.

The 6S was clearly quick for its time. I know my 6S Plus I have as a second phone / iPod feels very quick too. The camera is the weakest bit just as you shared.

I believe if you give yourself more time with the mini, you will start to appreciate the smaller (no pun intended) things about it, the interface, the speed, etc. and it would then make going back harder.

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
I went from 6s to 12 pro. I knew 6s was doing well and SE 2020 would feel like a non upgrade, but I am still surprised that 12 pro doesn't feel like a bigger upgrade. Yes everything is better (except the weight), but it is all subtle. I do regret not waiting for 12 Pro Max, but I was just convinced 6.1" was the right size and didn't want to wait. However the 6.1" on the iPhone is smaller in area than the 5.99" on my Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 (aspect ratio and notch).

NiCk-

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2007
The smartphone as a product has matured a lot so it's only natural that the "WOW" factor is gradually disappearing. Same thing that happened with every other product category really.

Having said that, the 12 Mini is an amazing phone (upgraded this year from a 1st gen SE), but its price signifies its luxuries such as an OLED screen, Face ID, dual camera etc. If you aren't interested in all these bells and whistles - like others have said in this topic - a second generation SE would be more than adequate at half the price.

Reactions: snipr125

_karrol

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2017
Wien, Österreich
Seems like this is an actual draw of iOS for some people. Many people I know, mainly professionals, don't have time to re-learn their phone everytime they upgrade. iOS' consistency is actually what's keeping them with Apple.

Of course, to some of us, that becomes "boring" or not "innovative," because we have too much time on our hands tinkering with our phones... :D
Basically one of the main reasons why I switched to Android after seven years with iOS just last October ? I use my phone a lot and I love tech, and iOS just felt a bit long in the tooth especially considering how much money I would have to spend on a 12 Pro Max I was thinking about...

• Haha
Reactions: ian87w

_karrol

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2017
Wien, Österreich
LOL me and OP will be like, I can't tell. I honestly can't tell the difference on my iPad Pro's promotion display and my XS max or 12.
I also did not notice it that much between my iPad Pro and my former iPhone X (much more between the iPP and regular iPad), but when I now compare my current Galaxy Note20 Ultra with the X, the iPhone's screen feels as if it was constantly lagging, it is a bit like what what was happening to the LCD screens when you were using your phone in a very cold weather.

In general I would say high refresh rate is a feature you do not care about if you do not have it, but once you have tried it, you just do not want to go back.

Six0Four

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2020
You're not gonna get the A14, OLED & Top tier cameras for 599. It's basically a mini pro version.

The xr and 11 were too expensive when first launched though.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
The SE 2020 is an outstanding value (and can be made even better with some crazy carrier deals), but how is the mini overpriced? Compared to what, the rest of the 12 lineup? Samsung's lineup? Genuinely confused by this claim.

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
I also did not notice it that much between my iPad Pro and my former iPhone X (much more between the iPP and regular iPad), but when I now compare my current Galaxy Note20 Ultra with the X, the iPhone's screen feels as if it was constantly lagging, it is a bit like what what was happening to the LCD screens when you were using your phone in a very cold weather.

In general I would say high refresh rate is a feature you do not care about if you do not have it, but once you have tried it, you just do not want to go back.
Not trying to be funny , but after the woo factor wore off I turned off adaptive display on my Note 20 ultra. After a couple of hours I got used to 60hz again and gained better battery performance. For me the 120hz was a gimmick.

macdogpro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2020
Not trying to be funny , but after the woo factor wore off I turned off adaptive display on my Note 20 ultra. After a couple of hours I got used to 60hz again and gained better battery performance. For me the 120hz was a gimmick.
I can’t tell the 120hz difference with 60hz in comparison on my iPad Pro ?

DexBell

Suspended
Oct 23, 2016
You're not gonna get the A14, OLED & Top tier cameras for 599. It's basically a mini pro version.

The xr and 11 were too expensive when first launched though.
Huh? The 11 started at $699, how is that too expensive? The Mini starting at $729 is what's too expensive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.