Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sodaNine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2018
Florida
I have to say I sold one of my kidneys but I love this device. I am a fully converted isheep now! The OS is a joy to use I do not miss android in anyway. Except maybe widget placement and led notification but they are tow minor gripes. The phone is a delight to use the camera is fantastic. I have more data privacy. I'll also get updates. Apple maps has come a long way although I still use waze.

Does anyone have a list of essential apps I should get?

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
T
I have to say I sold one of my kidneys but I love this device. I am a fully converted isheep now! The OS is a joy to use I do not miss android in anyway. Except maybe widget placement and led notification but they are tow minor gripes. The phone is a delight to use the camera is fantastic. I have more data privacy. I'll also get updates. Apple maps has come a long way although I still use waze.

The irony of u switching to Apple from android is this:

Google apps like google maps and google photos and gmail are my “essential apps”. Lol.

In a way google apps are better on iOS than on android. And I have owned multiple androids from day one G1. Nexus 5?? Man. I sold that phone like 1 month after i had it. One of the worst battery life phones I ever encounter. Camera piss poor. Only camera worst maybe was nexus 4 which i owned for like 6 weeks before getting rid of it.

Anyways. Those are my essential apps. Along with google drive and Microsoft one drive.

Almost all essential apps are cross
Platform so download what you need.

GoldMan

macrumors member
May 4, 2009
Europe
I like the Google apps on iOS, as they seems like a higher quality. I use both Android and iPhone daily.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London

Congratulations op, I recently went google free on my iPhone and because of it I’m seeing improved battery performance. Gmail uses fetch instead of push on the iOS email app. They refused to use push because they want iPhones users to download there app, can’t imagine why. I switched to duck duck go from google search as well, love Duck duck go’s dark mode.

1Password and reeder are my go to apps. iMessage, FaceTime, Apple Music, apple maps and apple files are all included. For everything else there is a huge app ecosystem with higher quality apps than android.

If you post the apps you use on android, posters could start offering suggestions.

Edit: you should also download the apple support app.

Last edited:

Calebtt

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
Nice upgrade, I switched from Nexus 5 to iPhone 5s when it was released and found the iPhone makes an excellent Google phone now on the iPhone X. I use mostly Apple stock apps now though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.