Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CTU Kyoto

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
London
Is anyone else making a similar generation jump? I have an iBook G3 900Mhz, 640MB RAM, 40GB HD. I've just ordered a new MacBook (White, 2GHz 1GB RAM, 80GB HD).

I was wondering what kind of speed increase to expect. If they say the MacBook is n times faster than the iBook G4, and the G4 was x times faster than the G3, I'm hopefully going to be very happy with it!

Mind you, I'll be happy to have things like USB 2.0 and Airport Extreme that I've been missing out on. My iPod shuffle takes sooooo long to fill up with USB1.

rimrocka07011

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2006
Cleveland, OH
CTU Kyoto said:
I was wondering what kind of speed increase to expect. If they say the MacBook is n times faster than the iBook G4, and the G4 was x times faster than the G3, I'm hopefully going to be very happy with it!

Expect significant speed increases; we're dealing with Intel here. :p

CTU Kyoto

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
London
Do you know of any comparisons on the web, like benchmarks? I doubt anyone has bothered.

On a very slightly related topic, when I play iTunes music through the Airport Express with my non-Extreme Airport-equipped iBook, song crossfading doesn't work for longer than about a second. Even when set to 12 second fading the songs seem to just about run concurrently. Is this an issue with all AirTunes setups or (as I'm hoping) is it to do with lack of bandwidth on my old Airport card? In which case, it'll be fixed with my MacBook!

dextertangocci

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
I just upgraded from the last revision 12" iBook to a MB, and WOW! It is WAAAYYY faster! So if it is that much faster than the last rev. iBook, then I'm sure it is going to be about 10 times faster than your iBook!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.